Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 26-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Experiencer

Shroud of Turin

I did a search for this subject, however, the threads are rather old, so, I thought I'd start a new one on this topic.

The Shroud came to mind, last couple of weeks, as we entered the Christmas season.

A March 30, 2013 article in " USA Today " caught my interest:

(Quote):

"Many experts have stood by a 1988 carbon-14 dating of scraps of the cloth carried out by labs in Oxford, Zurich and Arizona that dated it from 1260 to 1390, which, of course, would rule out its used during the time of Christ.

The new test, by scientists at the University of Padua in northern Italy, used the same fibers from the 1988 tests but disputes the findings. The new examination dates the shroud to between 300 BC and 400 AD, which would put it in the era of Christ.

It determined that the earlier results may have been skewed by contamination from fibers used to repair the cloth when it was damaged by fire in the Middle Ages, the British newspaper reported. The cloth has been kept at the cathedral since 1578.

He also said his tests also supported earlier results claiming to have found traces of dust and pollen on that shroud that could only have come from the Holy Land." ( Unquote )

Check out January 20th, 2005 on the Shroud History timeline,( see link below ) :

http://www.shroud.com/history.htm

Looks like they admit the tested samples, showing a carbon 14 date of 1260 - 1390, done in 1988, were admittedly contaminated.

Skeptics always held because of this 1988 carbon 14 test, it was determined a forgery, end of story. Now, I guess they have to find some other reason to discredit this relic.

It always puzzled me, why there was so much evidence supporting the shroud to be authentic, how could the carbon 14 test show otherwise?

Now that those 1988 tests are shown to be contaminated, there will be arguments from both sides, even more so.

Though it may not be explained how the image of a crucified man, got on this piece of linen, it still doesn't tell us who it is. However, when Christians really look at each piece of evidence, related to the shroud, it's rather obvious who this image is of.
But, for those skeptics, unless Jesus would appear before them, and let them put there fingers in the pierced wounds of his flesh, they will not believe.

Blessed are those who have not seen, yet believed.

Question: What is your take on the Shroud of Turin? I believe it is the actual burial cloth of Jesus. Somehow, this piece of evidence was allowed to survive, over 2,000 years. Why? I believe for those who need that extra bit of evidence, something physical, that plants the thought in their mind, that maybe, just maybe, Jesus Christ was who scripture says He was.
Old 27-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Ecthalion

Reading about the shroud is interesting. It seems that there was no record of the shroud until the thirteenth century (coincidentally(?) when the carbon dating placed the shroud's origins). Some analysts say the dating samples were taken from a repair patch of that time, others say that there are no patches on the shroud. Some scientists say that the image is formed from paint, others that it is of blood.

The list of contradictions goes on. I think that people will believe what they want to believe. If it makes them feel better to think that the shroud bears the image of Jesus, then good luck to them.

In the middle ages many churches had relics - pieces of the cross, fingers of Christ, blood of Christ, even milk from Christ's mother. Some were sold to pilgrims but there seemed to be an inexhaustible supply.

I would say to look inside for God. That is where He is found.
Old 27-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Experiencer

There probably is more controversy about the shroud then there is about the JFK assassination conspiracy theory.

When the very first photograph was taken of the shroud, in 1898, something very unusual was discovered. The image on the shroud, was found to be a negative. What showed up in the photographer's darkroom, on the plate, was a positive image. How?
It's 2013, almost 2014. As far as our technology has advanced, they still don't know how this was done. They ( scientists ) have theories, but, they don't know.

Yes, there are arguments from both sides. What I find interesting, the first team of scientists that examined the shroud, expected to go to Turin, examine it briefly, and find it's nothing more than a figure painted on a piece of linen. Not the case, they ended up spending 120 hours examining it, and left there scratching their heads.

Yet, this wasn't enough. Ten years later, 1988, a team of scientist went at it again. What? You mean 120 hours of examination, in 1978, couldn't prove it was a forgery, then? One created in the 1300's? Why were they not convinced it was a forgery the first time?

In 1988, had the team been allowed to sample from different areas of the shroud, as was originally intended, a more accurate carbon 14 test would have resulted.

And, yes, the piece of cloth taken from the edge of the shroud, was found to have cotton fibers, from the sixteenth century, woven in. Ray Rogers, one of the scientists who stood his ground, that the carbon 14 tests from 1988 samples were accurate, finally took another look at what was left of them. To his amazement, he did find the sample did contain cotton thread.
The sample they had taken from the shroud, in 1988, was contaminated. It was mended.

The story of the Shroud of Turin, did not end in 1988, it may never end ,until the return of Christ.
Old 28-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan
I did a search for this subject, however, the threads are rather old, so, I thought I'd start a new one on this topic..

I agree with Ecthalion, also question. Why would Jehovah God allowed something so sacred to be found. KNOWING it would be in the hands of imperfect people. Meaning greed can end up playing a big part in it. JUST like they will NEVER find the Ark of the Covenant. And MANY I’ve seen on different shows, believe “it never was one”. Why?, just because Jehovah God won't let you put your dirty little fingers on it? The true wrap that was around Jesus WILL never be found. But satan of course ,(who some people don't believe he the force behind many things). Is intelligent enough to make a piece of cloth with an image them place it where it can be found. After he and his demons fool people greatly by making them believe the dead can still communicate with the living. By pretending to be those dead love ones. So I know the shroud isn't real. And also it was on something like NATgo., and they were saying it was fake though many testing's. peace
Old 28-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo50
[COLOR="Green" After he and his demons fool people greatly by making them believe the dead can still communicate with the living. By pretending to be those dead love ones. So I know the shroud isn't real. And also it was on something like NATgo., and they were saying it was fake though many testing's. peace
[/color]

Do you really believe that??

Of course the shroud is real, if you were standing in front of it and looking at it with your own two eyes would you still say it isn't real?

It's my understanding from what I've read is that it was the shroud of a Knight's Templar who was crucified in the 13th century.

But as Ecthalion says the list of theories and contradictions goes on........
Old 28-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Experiencer

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. This goes for any subject on any forum, anywhere for that matter.

In reference to the subject of the Shroud of Turin, after the carbon 14 test results of 1988, showed, in the opinion of the three labs who did the carbon 14 tests, they provided the results of tests on the piece of the linen, they were provided with ( splitting it up into three sections, each lab getting one to test ). This carbon 14 test, showed this piece extracted from the linen is from a period of time 1260AD - 1390AD.
From the piece they had, they were correct. In 1988.

However, more tests have been done. ( see link )

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...cientists.html

Now we have scientists saying ( not hearsay ), after running more test and examination, believe it to be from the period of 300BC to 400AD.

This is from March, 2013. Technology has advanced since 1988. This is why I say this is an ongoing event.

The Shroud of Turin may never be allowed to be tested again, for a very long time. There are now new imaging tests that can be done, without even touching or removing cloth from the shroud, that can more accurately date the linen. I think they still have to have access to the Shroud, though. Can't do it just off a picture on the internet.

Don't be close minded like prosecuting attorneys you hear of, who win a major court case, put someone in prison for life. Twenty five years later, there is some new evidence that shows the person they put behind bars, can be shown to be innocent. Yet, in their close mindedness, chose not to look at this new evidence, and, just know, this person is guilty, and, we are not going to look at this " so called " evidence. We made up our minds, we won the court case, he had his day in court, and, there is no amount of new evidence you can show us, to change our minds.

No matter where you stand on the subject of the Shroud of Turin, the story is not over. It's an ongoing event.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Master
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61179

Believers and doubters.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 01-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
I would say to look inside for God. That is where He is found.

Words of wisdom
Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Experiencer

@Morpheus:

Thank you for the links. Will check those out.
Edit/Delete Message