Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 16-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Newbie ;)

How does karma works??

Hey guys
I've been having this doubt in my mind for a while now. I want to know that what is karma. Does it really exist?? If it does, how it works..... I've been trying to find an answer but I still haven't....so I thought this is the right place to ask this...

Hope someone could give me a good explanation

Thank you
Old 16-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Master
Kamma.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm

This might help...

Just to add... in Buddhism it is Intent not Action that causes negative Kamma..
Old 16-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Ascender

It's just another word for the law of cause and effect except that it works at a metaphysical level rather than at a physical level. Personally, yes, I believe that it's true however I'm unable to prove this claim.
Old 16-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Master

I want to know that what is karma. Does it really exist?? If it does, how it works...

There are two other questions implied. Firstly, is reincarnation a fact? Secondly, is there a purpose to it all?

If reincarnation is a fact and we take on different bodies for the purpose of learning and growth, then the idea of karma makes perfect sense.

If reincarnation is not a fact then all idea of karma and purpose becomes meaningless. People do what they do, they die, and that is the end of it.

So for me, the idea of reincarnation, karma and purpose is the best explanation of why we are here. We all get what we deserve or what we need, and everything is fair.

If we were learning to play the piano, we would not expect to become a master of the piano in one lesson. So we have regular lessons and in the end we become proficient at playing the piano. It is the same with life in different bodies.

All I would add about karma is that the idea of karma as reward and punishment is somewhat simplistic. I prefer to consider karma as the tendency to balance. Where we are out of balance, karma acts to restore the balance. Which is why (for those with an interest in astrology) karma is considered to be ruled by the sign of Libra, the scales.

Peace.
Old 16-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Suspended
Karma does not exist, it is a belief system that belongs to religious doctrines.

Spend a life time striving to perfect yourself through purifying your morals so that you can come back & do it all again next time, only hopefully in slightly better shoes, until you finally get out of here forever.
Or see life for what it is & start taking responsibility for the destruction caused by civilization so that your descendants can live a better life than the one they are heading for, & so that we can end the suffering that is taking place all around the world.
Old 17-10-2017, 04:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro
Karma does not exist, it is a belief system that belongs to religious doctrines.

Kamma refers to the volition specifically. " Volition", "intent", "motive" describe the desires and aversions that motivate or compel people down to the underlying attitudes such as kindness or animosity. In essence, volition, or kamma, is any urge that moves the mind. Such motions of mind are called the productions or the outcomes, and of course a kind, positive disposition will bring about good results, whereas a bitter, acrimonious disposition will produce bad outcomes.

So we have a 3 part process: 1) Kamma (or volition) produces the 2) potential for 3) outcomes, and those outcomes manifest to conscious awareness when all the conditions that enable them to arise come together.

That just an explanation in the sense that it refers to things we can actually notice for ourselves, primarily the nature of our own intent.

Quote:
Spend a life time striving to perfect yourself through purifying your morals so that you can come back & do it all again next time, only hopefully in slightly better shoes, until you finally get out of here forever.
Or see life for what it is & start taking responsibility for the destruction caused by civilization so that your descendants can live a better life than the one they are heading for, & so that we can end the suffering that is taking place all around the world.
Old 17-10-2017, 05:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I want to know that what is karma. Does it really exist?? If it does, how it works...

There are two other questions implied. Firstly, is reincarnation a fact? Secondly, is there a purpose to it all?

If reincarnation is a fact and we take on different bodies for the purpose of learning and growth, then the idea of karma makes perfect sense.

If reincarnation is not a fact then all idea of karma and purpose becomes meaningless. People do what they do, they die, and that is the end of it.

So for me, the idea of reincarnation, karma and purpose is the best explanation of why we are here. We all get what we deserve or what we need, and everything is fair.

If we were learning to play the piano, we would not expect to become a master of the piano in one lesson. So we have regular lessons and in the end we become proficient at playing the piano. It is the same with life in different bodies.

All I would add about karma is that the idea of karma as reward and punishment is somewhat simplistic. I prefer to consider karma as the tendency to balance. Where we are out of balance, karma acts to restore the balance. Which is why (for those with an interest in astrology) karma is considered to be ruled by the sign of Libra, the scales.

Peace.

Kamma, as described in Buddhist texts, more appied\s to the concept of 'rebirth', which is different to 'reincarnation'. Simply speaking 'rebirth' regards each moment arising upon the complete annihilation of the previous. 'Reincarnation' regards 'whole lives' be they in the physical or on another dimensional plane.

Balance is the non-volitional. All volitions disrupt balance to a lesser of greater degree. Hencewhy the meditation is pure awareness or pure observation, which is non-volitional - choiceless observation.

When the volition ceases like this, the potentials created by the volitions of the past still have to arise to conscious awareness, but they can pass freely, without the stickiness of aversions and desires - resistance, avoidance, clinging craving etc. As the volition has ceased, one ceases to create the potential for further manifest, and the old potentials continue to arise momentarily and pass away. Eventually all the potentials manifest and they expire altogether - and one is utterly diffused... for want of a better word.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro

The idea that karma does not exist is simply another belief system.

Peace.
Old 17-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Master
There is a state of oneself for use of a better word that is at peace.

There cannot be peace when in one's heart and mind carries an energy where peace cannot reside.

Life / karma has a way of showing you what is required in order to restore a peaceful self.

How does one feel, express themselves from a state of unrest?

For a time it will be like the hamster running round and round on it's wheel, creating more momentum and seemingly not getting anywhere.

The moment the karmic wheel stops, one won't find the need to run ..

x daz x
Old 17-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
That just an explanation in the sense that it refers to things we can actually notice for ourselves, primarily the nature of our own intent.

Well I was clearly referring to the religious origins of Karma, which appear to be a contrast to the explanation you have here. This is more like cause & effect, not incarnation as a series of trials.