Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
willows

Pow wows

Anyone here ever been to a pow wow? I had the great fortune of having some cool parents when I was little and I went to a couple. It was absolutely amazing! I know this doesn't directly relate to Native American beliefs, but I'm curious how many people here have been to one and what their experience of it was like. Although I was too little to know then, I think I definitely was floating around in a trance-state, with those drums and the rhythmic dancing... Myself, I think that's one of the aspects of Native American spirituality that I appreciate a lot, that kind of focus on mystical experience... and all that kind of dress and decoration, I think really symbolizes becoming more than just a person...
Anyways, before I start musing way too much, let me know your experiences!

Ahh, and for the record, I love frybread...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Medium_Laura

I've hosted and danced in one yes. It is based on most of the beliefs but because outsiders are allowed, most of our rituals are not used due to the secrecy of them.

Native Drum circles are also open to the public. You should check if there are any in your area. They even offer "healing" drum circles.

What area were you in when you attended? Mine was in Michigan with the Ojibwe (Chippewa) and the South Eastern tribes. I loved shopping at the vendors and getting my seed beads really cheap :) They usually have teachings on beading and also some children's circles to teach about the significance of tobacco and other things.

In the culture we make our own dance regalia - it is tradition. If the children are small, sisters or mothers make them for them. Traditional Women's Dance is to honor our warriors who have gone hunting. Some women use this dance to honor fallen warriors as well. (each tribe is different) This is what I did mostly. Shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myrgXHao3V0

The Women's Traditional Dance is the very oldest form of dance for ladies. Females of all ages are seen dancing this very regal and proud style. Pride of heritage, culture, and family can be seen in the faces and demeanor of these well-respected dancers. In fact, when performing this style in competitions, judges watch the ladies to see if the required dignity is retained all throughout the dance.

When moving in the Circle, there are Northern and Southern ways of dancing Women's Traditional. Northern style is danced by remaining in one spot, lightly bouncing in rhythm with the drum. Southern style has the women slowly and gracefully walking around the Circle in time with the drum, gently stepping toe-heel, toe-heel with the feet appearing to "walk on clouds". Both styles carry a fringed shawl folded over their bent left arm, a purse in their left hand, and a feather fan, usually eagle or hawk, in their right hand.

The women hold themselves tall and proud, their bodies straight. The fringe on the shawl is to sway naturally with the movements of the women's feet, not from upper body bending or swinging. The fan is raised in salute when the women hear the drum giving honor beats.

Both cloth and buckskin dancers wear a leather conch belt from which they hang a knife in its case and a tobacco pouch situated at the sides or back of the waist. Each style also wears a breastplate made from bone pipe and glass beads that can drape to the waist (Southern) or all the way to the ankles (Northern). However cloth dancers typically wear their breastplates over the front and back, unlike the buckskin dancers who wear just a front-sided style. At the neck, the ladies wear either a scarf or a choker. Other jewelry is optional and usually is in designs and colors that have either personal, tribal, or family significance. The hair can be worn pretty much however the woman desires from loose and flowing to braided.

Some dancers will weave ribbons in their braids or wear beaded barrettes and pieces of fur attached to their hair as well. Also, although most dancers wear a single feather (usually eagle or hawk) in their hair, some have been seen wearing several feathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE53kqE45sQ Here is a youtube of fancy shawl dancers

Women’s Fancy Shawl Dance
During the early 1900’s Native American women began to replace their blankets and buffalo robes with colorful shawls for dancing. Some say that as the women produced more intricate designs on their shawls they were more likely to dance fancier footsteps during dances to show off their shawls. This in turn gave rise to the Women’s Fancy Shawl Dance. Most of the dancers will wear a cloth, knee-length skirt, beaded moccasins and leggings, a traditional shirt with trade silver, topped off by a bright colored shawl. The style of the dance is very ostentatious. Flashy footwork and spinning with much more movement than traditional dancing are a part of the Women’s Fancy Shawl Dance.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
willows

I don't recall with which tribe one of the two was, but I know that the other one was at the reservation in Tama, Iowa, of the Meskwaki tribe. Maybe both of them were there, actually... I only remember the one really well. Got a really nice Native American blanket and a bobcat paw necklace (kind of impractical due to the weight, but I was a kid and it was soo cool).
That's great that you've hosted one. I'd like to go to a Lakota Sioux pow wow, next time I'm in the States...
Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Medium_Laura

frybread lol Why do you think most of us Native ladies have large rears?? Frybread... lol
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
willows

Not to mention.... frybread tacos....
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
earthprowler

Ahhhhh......the pounding of the drum.....it calls to me. flute music...... LOVE IT! only been to one pow wow......but have been Indian many times in my soul life....love for the traditions never die.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Time

Theres pow wows here all the time. You can hear them once in a while randomly. The Ojibwe ( same as laura) are the indiginous tribe here (nw ontario). The drum beat peirces your heart LOL
Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Master
I know this is a side issue but I have the Grimoire of PowWow, the traditional folk healing/magic of North America. It's an 1820 edition, the first time it was ever printed. Sometimes called the Folk Magic of the Pennsylvanian Dutch. It's a PDF of 56 pages. Give me a shout if you would like a copy.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Medium_Laura

Wow seriously? I'd love it Norse! Those things are hardly ever printed! Hush hush ya know! I know some folk healing myself from my great grandmother. Weird stuff... like cobwebs on a wound to stop it from bleeding. Seriously I'm going to go out and find webs and put it in my cut? ewww lol She always had slices of bread on her counter when she cut onions.

My clans are Turtle and Fox and from what I know we are out of Quebec @Time :) Very cool! I even speak some of it. Been years since I made the words (as they say) but I remember some! Baamaapii (See you later!)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Time

Norseman - please send me a copy, or link. ID really like to read that. Right up my ally!!

Laura - I dont know my clans. My family denounces their native heratage (theyre mohawk, so since its beginnings their tribe has done everything to escape the indian act, even denying their heratage). I know very little, but its spoken here by the reserve natives.