Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 26-09-2018, 04:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverider
Thanks gem. I can see that you are quite experienced at this. Can you tell me, frankly, if regular meditation helps in reducing negative thoughts?

Yes, meditation does reduce negative thoughts, but feelings of aversion and dislike toward thoughts is, in itself, negativity, so ceasing any adverse feelings toward negative thoughts is key to resolving such thought patterns.

The fundamental practice is to remain still in yourself no matter what happens. If negativity arises, the meditation is to remain calmly unaffected and completely neutral. With practice, thoughts lose their power to affect you and become less important, and they affect you even less. Eventually they no longer have the power to disturb you at all by making you react adversely toward these thoughts, and because you have no adverse reaction, or negativity toward negativity, the cycle of negativity is ended.

In my personal practice I am not concerned with thought, so if my mind is somehow agitated or otherwise generating negativity, I return to feeling my breath, which means I don't give any importance to the negative mind. The thoughts and feelings are passing and they can't actually disturb me.
Old 17-10-2018, 03:51 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantPearl
I can never get as deep as I’d like. It feels like I’m being blocked in some manner. Any tips on how I can further assist myself in meditation so I can relax and open up to any positivity I may be trying to reach? I’m not sure if there is much.
I try to meditate an hour everyday and I still face the problem you mentioned.

I think everybody face the problem of negative thoughts or distraction especially in the initial stage. I do agree that observing your thought as a 3rd party is very helpful method.

However, in my humble opinion, what really helped me is when I changed my everyday lifestyle by clearing attachments from my mind. Our mind become clearer and more suitable for meditation when we are free from such distractions.
Old 13-11-2018, 06:05 AM
Seeker

Meditation Tips

Meditation is most effective if you can relax. That is basically it lol. If you are "trying" to relax, you are not relaxing. There are lots of methods for reaching that state of relaxation and/or nothingness. These techniques have been helpful for me:

*Try focusing on your breathing. That's it, nothing more. Focus on each inhalation and exhalation; the deeper and slower, the better. Inhale through the nose and exhale through your mouth.

*Listen to music. It can be relaxation music or nature sounds. It can be white noise or whatever you like.

*In your mind's eye, go to somewhere where it is peaceful, like a beach or forest, or even some made up fantasy place. If you can imagine this place in extremely minute detail, you will totally forget you are sitting in your living room. You will have created the state of mind you are trying to relax into.

*Have a pleasant scent present when you meditate. Some say certain aromas promote meditation, but I would just choose something I like. Do this enough and sooner or later, your body will associate that aroma with relaxing. Then when you burn that particular oil, for example, your body will start relaxing on it's own and you will be half way there.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this can take time. Some of us (me lol), just don't know how to relax and it takes practice.
Old 13-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Master
There’s a difference between sitting down, closing eyes and following breath (which is always a good practice to do!!!) and meditation itself, which can “happen”. The main things that get in the way are an active body (digesting food, itchy, not relaxed, etc.) and an active mind (being in thoughts, embracing them). I don’t think you can just go about do meditation, although in the popular sense many of us do ‘meditation’, but actual meditation is spiritual experience..
Old 13-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
There’s a difference between sitting down, closing eyes and following breath (which is always a good practice to do!!!) and meditation itself, which can “happen”. The main things that get in the way are an active body (digesting food, itchy, not relaxed, etc.) and an active mind (being in thoughts, embracing them). I don’t think you can just go about do meditation, although in the popular sense many of us do ‘meditation’, but actual meditation is spiritual experience..

Mediation is a ' Happening ' rather than a doing..
Old 13-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Master
For people that might benefit from these meditations that i do. They are the next step of meditation if you get stuck as i did too. To let go of control and not manipulate everything that comes into your awareness is what we really don't do.

We think we do but we don't let go of everything and just let everything just be as it is.
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LscnZCzdak&t=740s

The 2nd meditation, one should not meditate and let the meditation meditate you.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrhJ7wQ7VM

Got some very deep meditations and bliss with this one!!!