Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Experiencer
Grasping Nonduality

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
Non-duality exists in only two ways;

1} as a metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concept,

2} consideration, only the macro-infinite non-occupied space, in-of-itself, that exists beyond our finite, occupied space Universe.

All other talk of non-duality has not rational, logical common sense that I can find.

r6

Hello r6

I’m rational and logical much of the time - I’m also quite skeptical. As a young man I had never read a spiritual book in my life and was not remotely interested in anything along those lines. But eighteen years ago something remarkable happened as I tried meditation for relaxation purposes. I had a spontaneous shift in perception where narrative, time and separation receded - and I saw that (and this is what I crudely scribbled down soon after the 'experience') ‘no thing exists… only everything exists’. The next day I remember looking around the living room and there was my dog asleep on the carpet and the thought occurred ’you don’t exist - you existing is a category error - what exists is the everything’. Of course this is a crude, dualistic way of putting it - and of course my dog does have an existence (as does the carpet, chairs, the birds and trees etc.) but not in the way I had previously imagined. (As you can see, this sensibility does not exclude the relative apparent dualities that are encountered in everyday living.)

It seems that when the mind was starved of its usual ‘conceptualise, abstract and divide’ functioning, a deeper seeing became available. An intuitive seeing/gnosis from the whole - because that’s really what this is, the whole presenting as variation and differentiation at every turn.

Now I don’t expect to convince you with this - that never works. I’m just providing a bit of context by which you might see a glimmer of a way in and see how the dualistic functioning aspect of mind is the wrong tool for the job since that very functioning is synonymous with division and abstraction.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance
Hello r6

I’m rational and logical much of the time - I’m also quite skeptical. As a young man I had never read a spiritual book in my life and was not remotely interested in anything along those lines. But eighteen years ago something remarkable happened as I tried meditation for relaxation purposes. I had a spontaneous shift in perception where narrative, time and separation receded - and I saw that (and this is what I crudely scribbled down soon after the 'experience') ‘no thing exists… only everything exists’. The next day I remember looking around the living room and there was my dog asleep on the carpet and the thought occurred ’you don’t exist - you existing is a category error - what exists is the everything’. Of course this is a crude, dualistic way of putting it - and of course my dog does have an existence (as does the carpet, chairs, the birds and trees etc.) but not in the way I had previously imagined. (As you can see, this sensibility does not exclude the relative apparent dualities that are encountered in everyday living.)

It seems that when the mind was starved of its usual ‘conceptualise, abstract and divide’ functioning, a deeper seeing became available. An intuitive seeing/gnosis from the whole - because that’s really what this is, the whole presenting as variation and differentiation at every turn.

Now I don’t expect to convince you with this - that never works. I’m just providing a bit of context by which you might see a glimmer of a way in and see how the dualistic functioning aspect of mind is the wrong tool for the job since that very functioning is synonymous with division and abstraction.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I enjoyed reading it and I have been experiencing what you said, no thing exists only everything, to varying degrees. I believe there are big awakenings or shifts and gradual ones too etc. What your post has reminded me off is that i've had pointers along the way, like a recognition of how could you be anywhere else at this moment in time ? Then desire would stop or the mind rattling on or worrying about this and that and something would open up. Also the acceptance that thought can rattle on is part of it. lol Then I had another little realisation that nothing makes sense in isolation, you can try isolating things, making them seperate but their ultimate meaning is in their wholeness and interconnectedness, something like that. Not easy to put words too.Thanks, your post is a welcome reminder. All the best.Joe

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Thank you for sharing your experience. I enjoyed reading it and I have been experiencing what you said, no thing exists only everything, to varying degrees. I believe there are big awakenings or shifts and gradual ones too etc. What your post has reminded me off is that i've had pointers along the way, like a recognition of how could you be anywhere else at this moment in time ? Then desire would stop or the mind rattling on or worrying about this and that and something would open up. Also the acceptance that thought can rattle on is part of it. lol Then I had another little realisation that nothing makes sense in isolation, you can try isolating things, making them seperate but their ultimate meaning is in their wholeness and interconnectedness, something like that. Not easy to put words too.Thanks, your post is a welcome reminder. All the best.Joe

Hello Joe. Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear that something here resonated.

Yes, after an initial opening there can be pockets of resistance along the way that demand some attention. But as you are clearly grasping, the insight that ‘ah… it’s that too’ becomes a kind of restorative wake-up that serves to undermine the mind’s shenanigans.
Old 15-10-2017, 04:00 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Thanks for your sharing, Moondance. I believe it's these openings that can really spur us on our journeys to seek that which is everhere