Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 29-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Compassion - A Word that at times gets Lost in the Mix

Hello

Compassion -

noun
a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

If we could all have this we would have a World I feel that is much different than now. Too we are here to learn and grow as the human race and that is a long road it seems.

I can not share the Personal Messages I get from members but I can share how often they bring a tear to my eyes. To have a member say that the site has helped them or a member has been there for them means so much in our little on line world.

I look to what is here and take that energy every day and bless it does flow out from all of us to help with the energy that needs balanced at times.

Wondering what compassion means to others.....to me its being that person that can listen well, can see into things with intuition, and help where I can.

Lynn
Old 29-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Master
For me, compassion is sort of like recognizing the suffering and struggles in another because we realize there is no "other" being. It's this innate mix of empathy, sympathy, and loving regard because the realization that we are all One Universe, One Being. We see OURSELVES in all beings and all things.

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 29-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

I may be picky ... but I find true compassion very rare, even among the people that think about themselves as being compassionate. I think that true compassion can't fit in a heart the knows hate. Most "compassionate" people I encountered feel hate for those who disagree with their view.
Old 29-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
I may be picky ... but I find true compassion very rare, even among the people that think about themselves as being compassionate. I think that true compassion can't fit in a heart the knows hate. Most "compassionate" people I encountered feel hate for those who disagree with their view.

I think it is certainly possible to be compassionate and still experience feelings of anger, hate, fear, etc. The human mind is quite complex. Abuse survivors could simultaneously feel great empathy and compassion for other survivors of abuse and feel anger and hate towards their abuser or abusers in general. However, in time as they begin to heal, they may learn the deeper, more Universal meaning of forgiveness and letting go. They then not only can feel compassion for people who have suffered by the cruelty of others, but can also feel compassion for those who have hurt others as well.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi
I think it is certainly possible to be compassionate and still experience feelings of anger, hate, fear, etc. The human mind is quite complex. Abuse survivors could simultaneously feel great empathy and compassion for other survivors of abuse and feel anger and hate towards their abuser or abusers in general. However, in time as they begin to heal, they may learn the deeper, more Universal meaning of forgiveness and letting go. They then not only can feel compassion for people who have suffered by the cruelty of others, but can also feel compassion for those who have hurt others as well.
Hmm... I wonder if that's necessarily true compassion or whether it's self-pity projected outwards. Maybe it is authentic compassion, though, it's just a thought that occurred to me.

Anyway, compassion's something I've been thinking about recently, particularly in relation to this forum, funnily enough (you might take that as a sign that I need to get out more, but bear with me ); there have been a few threads in which there have been heated exchanges and even palpable animosity, and my instinctive response was to get judgmental and to tell people to give it a rest, quite honestly. But then I figured that that wasn't going to help, so I reread the relevant posts a few times and what I began to feel after a while was an underlying pain, and when I let myself feel that pain without resistance I couldn't help but feel compassion for the people involved So for me, compassion and an acceptance of what is go hand-in-hand; if there's any sense of, 'This shouldn't have happened' or, 'They shouldn't have done that', authentic compassion can't arise from that sort of mindset, it doesn't seem to me.

Just my take on it :)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Hmm... I wonder if that's necessarily true compassion or whether it's self-pity projected outwards. Maybe it is authentic compassion, though, it's just a thought that occurred to me.

That is a very interesting take on it in regards to compassion being authentic or inauthentic. I do feel that no amount of compassion is wasted regardless of it being deemed as authentic or otherwise. To have compassion simply means to "suffer with" hence "passion" is suffering and "com" means with. I think it is easier for some to recognize the suffering of others and have empathy for them because they have particularly experienced similar difficulties. For instance, a refugee would find it more natural to develop empathy and compassion for someone else who is fleeing a war torn country etc. Are they merely experiencing a reflection of self pity for themselves or are they utilizing their experience to further enhance the already present human condition of compassion that lies within? Or perhaps they may even experience these two things simultaneously? Maybe instead of thinking about compassion as being either authentic or inauthentic, we can be more open minded. We are each growing at different rates along our journey of life and just because a person has not attained the Cosmic Universal Unconditional Love/Compassion for All That Is type of consciousness does not necessarily deem their compassion to be any less meaningful, palpable, or authentic.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi
That is a very interesting take on it in regards to compassion being authentic or inauthentic. I do feel that no amount of compassion is wasted regardless of it being deemed as authentic or otherwise. To have compassion simply means to "suffer with" hence "passion" is suffering and "com" means with. I think it is easier for some to recognize the suffering of others and have empathy for them because they have particularly experienced similar difficulties. For instance, a refugee would find it more natural to develop empathy and compassion for someone else who is fleeing a war torn country etc. Are they merely experiencing a reflection of self pity for themselves or are they utilizing their experience to further enhance the already present human condition of compassion that lies within? Or perhaps they may even experience these two things simultaneously? Maybe instead of thinking about compassion as being either authentic or inauthentic, we can be more open minded. We are each growing at different rates along our journey of life and just because a person has not attained the Cosmic Universal Unconditional Love/Compassion for All That Is type of consciousness does not necessarily deem their compassion to be any less meaningful, palpable, or authentic.
Interesting thoughts, and I do see where you're coming from with regards to recognising the suffering of others who've suffered as you have - I don't think it's necessarily a prerequisite, but it does tend to make it easier. When I talk about compassion being inauthentic, I'm talking about people behaving in a way that conforms to their idea of what compassion is, rather than genuinely feeling compassion - but you know, that might be projection as much as anything, because for most of my life I don't think I really understood the true meaning of the word (largely or wholly because I couldn't feel it for myself).

Anyway I'm rambling, and I'm not really sure what my point is. Just on that last bit in bold - I don't know, for me true compassion is a compassion for all that is, it excludes nothing. I know how that could be hard to understand, though, and I can't really explain right now.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Master
Quote:

I can relate to what your sharing here. It came up in conversation in a group. The nature of how you give to others, whether through loving them, being compassionate towards others etc will come from a place of conscious deeper awareness in feeling compassion for your own self, or from a logical awareness in feeling that it is the "right and moral thing to do" I was challenging a view that insisted it doesn't matter what you are within yourself conscious or unconscious, the more you love and give to others, the less the self needs to be concerned about self love. To me I could see that loving intent for the issue at hand will be granted regardless of something else moving around deeper that might not be loving or compassionate, the love moving for that stream is still at play. My argument was more that you as the "complete" essence, if not complete can go deeper into becoming the love yourself or the compassion where it becomes a complete source self realized and there it flows from a more authentic place deeper, rather than only for the stream of love presented for that particular issue at play. I guess it makes no difference how you love, more that if your not going deeper into yourself the more you love and give out, the balance over time if not attended too will eventually reflect back to show you the deficit of self unrealized in the way it gives as a more complete vessel. I think what they trying to say, was that the giving out of love would fill up the self and make the issues deeper null and void. Could this be true, to bring about a natural dissolving of unloved aspects of self? Could well be so..

It reminds me as an empath how I sense naturally the authentic nature of loving presence in action.. I feel others as they are, so the authenticity is felt as real for me or hiding or tarnished by other stuff. It is an off "feel" for me, even as it is doing something "good". As a child being held by a mother and father in fear but directed as love served me for a time, but I always felt everything in them. Being highly sensitive and a strong empath it was all felt by me as the action of itself in everyway. We hear people say, people only love from the space of love they know how to love from within themselves, but then as the receiver you can know more about that love than they know themselves.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Master
Quote:

maybe there are varying degrees of compassion, all equally true. Rather than "true" vs not true.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Master
oops double posted >_<