Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 12-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Master
Bringing Buddha to Buddhism

For a person who knows little of Buddhism, I can say it is basically a collection of terms which have definitions. Because someone may be new this kind of language, it seems as though they don't know anything about it, but they probably do understand a lot in their own language, and even more in their own personal way of expressing.

The first definition is: "Buddha" means the enlightenment in yourself, and we recognise each other as that. This is why we appreciate so much each others' presence. You are like me in terms of the enlightened spirit. This leads to loving kindness - of which no explanation is required.

The dedication of Guatama's (Buddha's) life was to recognise there is suffering, discover the primal cause of suffering, and through that understanding, bring an end to suffering. That's the purpose of Buddhism, which pertains to any person's life (A comprehensive discourse on "Four Noble Truths" here: http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm)

Even though Buddhism has become a religion with numerous sects, it is better to remove religiosity from it. The teachings of Guatama the Buddha are accessible to anyone. If you are of another religion or culture, continue as such, for this is not a conversion exercise.

If you are here, Buddha is here as the enlightenment yourself. The spiritual 'beingness' is present with, and present as, you, me, us.

The word 'practice' is daunting isn't it? It sounds like someone will give you instructions which you then ardently follow. It can be that, but in the context of a forum discussion, the practice is to be self aware, considerate of others, and expressing one's self from that heart of loving kindness. Is that heart not the natural expression of your most enlightened self?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
For a person who knows little of Buddhism, I can say it is basically a collection of terms which have definitions. Because someone may be new this kind of language, it seems as though they don't know anything about it, but they probably do understand a lot in their own language, and even more in their own personal way of expressing.

It's all about language. Since buddhist traditions have their own convention of language it may appear to non-buddhist people as if they are expounding something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Even though Buddhism has become a religion with numerous sects, it is better to remove religiosity from it.

Most straightforward way to do this is to call it a kind of 'psychotherapy'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The word 'practice' is daunting isn't it? It sounds like someone will give you instructions which you then ardently follow. It can be that, but in the context of a forum discussion, the practice is to be self aware, considerate of others, and expressing one's self from that heart of loving kindness. Is that heart not the natural expression of your most enlightened self?
Well as for my part I would use the term 'enlightenment' or 'enlightened' only in the context of the 'Age of European Enlightenment' but certainly not in the context of the psychotherapy known as 'budddhism'. Also, since I have learned 'common buddhism' to come close to mere cultivation of 'nice' emotions that feel good and are therefore called 'good' or 'right' while other emotions are called 'bad' or 'wrong' although they belong to human nature too I would not put emphasis on emotions at all. For me it is not the emotional aspects that are interesting in the context of 'buddhism' but the insight aspects, the effects of language and the so called 'practices' from a perspective of psychology.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Master
Emotions.

According to Buddha's teachings emotions are an expression of who we are and should be respected and accepted.I think we can become very judgemental about our emotions instead of just accepting them for what they are.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
According to Buddha's teachings emotions are an expression of who we are and should be respected and accepted.
This is not correctly put.
The cultivation of so called 'good' or 'right' emotions is taught as antidot against 'bad' or 'wrong' emotions. The 'good' or 'right' are so called because they support the attainment of liberation whereas the 'bad' or 'wrong' ones block the attainment of liberation.
Next the emotion called 'loving kindness' is taught as a means to attain jhana absorption.
Finally emotions belong to the aggregates, skandhas, which are not self and should be seen as such.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground

It's all about language. Since buddhist traditions have their own convention of language it may appear to non-buddhist people as if they are expounding something new.

It can become a lot of words in a 'foreign' language, and learning that is fine for people who are really into it, but if I were to explain what a Pali term meant I'd only be translating it into English - so might as well just say it English. It's far more accessible.

Quote:
Most straightforward way to do this is to call it a kind of 'psychotherapy'.

Indeed. I think there is a difference in that Buddhism is aspiring to the higher spiritual path, and emotional healing processes are consequential to that. I can only say that equanimity or balance of mind with which one endures experience is more to the point that the experience itself. If one is peaceful with change, healing transformations are enabled. I think the former is more the point, and the latter is more of an aside.

Quote:
Well as for my part I would use the term 'enlightenment' or 'enlightened' only in the context of the 'Age of European Enlightenment' but certainly not in the context of the psychotherapy known as 'budddhism'. Also, since I have learned 'common buddhism' to come close to mere cultivation of 'nice' emotions that feel good and are therefore called 'good' or 'right' while other emotions are called 'bad' or 'wrong' although they belong to human nature too I would not put emphasis on emotions at all. For me it is not the emotional aspects that are interesting in the context of 'buddhism' but the insight aspects, the effects of language and the so called 'practices' from a perspective of psychology.

I avoid like the plague discussion on 'what is enlightenment' , so let's say it's used figuratively and is open to interpretation in context. Perhaps the vaguer it is 'understood' the better.

I like the term 'Liberated'. I think people at least have some sense of 'liberated'. 'Liberation' implies 'the freedom from' bondage, and it also implies 'the freedom to' vaster possibilities. This is somewhat meaningful, I think.

In ones mindfulness, the arising of emotion would not be judged. It would simply be 'the truth of experience that is'. I think many of the new age variations promote pleasurable things rather than uncomfortable things and term it positivity and negativity etc. We sometimes see on the forum a lot of allusions to wonderful things, but as the 'First Noble Truth is "There is sufferingthat is, one can just see there misery in their lives and in the lives of others. This is about what is true, and it really has noting to do with preferences. The Second Noble truth is "The origin of suffering" and this is reportedly what Guatama went on to discover and thereby find resolution.

Hence, this was the insight and the wisdom which is both instrumental and consequential to a truthful and true to life process.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
Yes we are. We are talking about a universally accepted usage of the word 'liberation'.

It's getting to the stage where even saying 'hello' in the Buddhism section is duly interrogated, ripped apart and thrown out. Is 'Hello' accepted in Buddhism, or should it be 'How do you do?'? Does hello mean something different in Buddhism from every other belief?

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Hello it's lovely to see you here...
Old 12-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
Yes we are. We are talking about a universally accepted usage of the word 'liberation'.

It's getting to the stage where even saying 'hello' in the Buddhism section is duly interrogated, ripped apart and thrown out. Is 'Hello' accepted in Buddhism, or should it be 'How do you do?'? Does hello mean something different in Buddhism from every other belief?

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

I thank you...while his post was informative and interesting (very much so), I'd caution us all not to throw the Buddha baby out with the bathwater. For us modern day folk to bring others closer to truly understanding the Buddha and Buddhism, we shouldn't scare them away by becoming overly serious. I'm no scholar, but it's become very important to me and my life. IYKWIM.
(Heya Jonesy)

Old 12-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Knower

Quote:
:since I have learned 'common buddhism' to come close to mere cultivation of 'nice' emotions that feel good and are therefore called 'good' or 'right' while other emotions are called 'bad' or 'wrong' although they belong to human nature too I would not put emphasis on emotions at all. For me it is not the emotional aspects that are interesting in the context of 'buddhism' but the insight aspects, the effects of language and the so called 'practices' from a perspective of psychology.
Quote:
This is not correctly put.
The cultivation of so called 'good' or 'right' emotions is taught as antidot against 'bad' or 'wrong' emotions. The 'good' or 'right' are so called because they support the attainment of liberation whereas the 'bad' or 'wrong' ones block the attainment of liberation.
Emotion is emotion. Good or right or bad or wrong emotion is a labeled mind as a causality of judgement thoughts. The one who block the liberation is the judgement thoughts, the good or right or bad or wrong one is just an 'illusion' that makes we think that they support or blocking the liberation.
In vipassanna, we just watch/aware/know/witness the thoughts with out judging it. Read vinicchaya for more about judgement.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Master
Emotions.

'Emotions are a agitated mind state or disturbance caused by strong feelings about somebody or something. There need be no preference as to whether they are positive or negative as they are related to as just mind states: as ordinary or higher states of mind, that is, just mental events to be noted without seeing them as significant in any way.

Without judging or evaluating them, emotions are monitored throughout the day by labeling or mentally noting them. This helps to develop a more non-reactive awareness toward the emotion, without the tendency to identify with them or play back into the associated story. This practice helps one to relate to emotions more dispassionately while at the same time revealing the transitory nature of mental events.

The clarity now that one has in relating to the emotion can then be taken a step further by tuning into the underlying feeling tone that is associated with an emotion, such as unpleasant feeling. In this way the feeling quality itself is highlighted, thus allowing for the primary feeling to be investigated as it has become distinct from the emotional content.'

Insight Meditation Online....
Old 12-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulyo13
In vipassanna, we just watch/aware/know/witness the thoughts with out judging it. Read vinicchaya for more about judgement.
It is primarily about mindfulness what you mention.
And there are different views among buddhists. One view is that of bare attention which seems to be your view and another view holds that categorizing is necessary in order to attain the ripening effect to be attained.
Since I am not into mindfulness I am just philosophically interested. And from my perspective bare attention does not make any sense because either you have a goal or not but if you don't have a goal why practice mindfulness at all? If there is a purpose of practicing mindfulness then there has to be categorizing of what appears.
Maybe your concept of 'judgement' is a mix with 'being emotionally affected'. From my perspective the concept of 'judgement' merely means 'categorizing objects': 'it is this (but not that)'. The best way to not be emotionally affected while being mindful is to see the emptiness of inherent existence of all objects appearing (sense objects, emotions, thoughts etc.), i.e. to integrate insight into emptiness and mindfulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulyo13
The one who block the liberation is the judgement thoughts, the good or right or bad or wrong one is just an 'illusion' that makes we think that they support or blocking the liberation.
That is ambivalent advice because it could be understood as 'thoughts are bad/wrong and have to be stopped'. But no, thoughts are perfectly ok. A state of 'no thought' can easily become a state of stupidity.