Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 30-01-2015, 12:27 AM
Knower

Dhamma wheel

A subjective view of the categories of Paticasamuppada

To be updated.
Old 30-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Suspended
Interesting. Why does the exit start in the middle on bhava? Why do you have unpleasantness as the beginning of the positive stream? You also don't have pleasantness...
Old 30-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
Interesting. Why does the exit start in the middle on bhava? Why do you have unpleasantness as the beginning of the positive stream? You also don't have pleasantness...
I have taken it from SN12.23 Upanisa (cause, means) sutta [SN > Nidāna saṃyuttaṃ > Dasabala vaggo > 12.23 Upanisasutta ]:
"The knowledge of ending in the presence of ending has its prerequisite, I tell you. It is not without a prerequisite. And what is the prerequisite for the knowledge of ending? Release, it should be said. Release has its prerequisite, I tell you. It is not without a prerequisite. And what is its prerequisite? Dispassion... Disenchantment... Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are present... Concentration... Pleasure... Serenity... Rapture... Joy... Conviction... Stress... Birth... Becoming (being)... Clinging... Craving... Feeling... Contact... The six sense media... Name-&-form... Consciousness... Fabrications... Fabrications have their prerequisite, I tell you. They are not without a prerequisite. And what is their prerequisite? Ignorance, it should be said.

I know that Birth is missing; but because it is implied in Becoming (being), this kind of "second birth" starts by the sensation a unpleasantness. It is the beginning of the awareness that the chain of dependent origination must be reversed. The awareness that we must not go for more determinations (fabrications;) but instead that we must go through the path of release.
Therefore the right path becomes a double one (not a forking). A reversal of the process of the wheel at Bhava's level; namely that each step must be obliterated and not reinforced; while at the same time, entering the Jhana path of release.
As in the "real" birth is when you start to be aware (awaken) to the path of release.

Maybe should I have put Birth between Being and unpleasantness. Birth written with quotes as in "Birth". Born again!?!?
Indeed in Rhys Davids dictionary, Jātī (birth) has the meaning of "birth, rebirth, possibility of rebirth, " future life " as disposition to be born again, " former life " as cause of this life. "
Jātī is fitting perfectly both meanings. 1. Birth as possibility of rebirth (from no-release - viz. keeping the wheel rolling) and 2. birth "as disposition to be born again." (entering the path of exiting the process).
You have to notice that Jātī (birth) is really taken into consideration in what I call the the "Jhana process" (or to put it more accurately, "the Upanisa process). It does not appear into the paticcasumupadda itself.
In that case, It should be considered as primary. But for our general understanding, birth is considered at the level of rebirth just after death.
What do you think?

-----

As for Pleasantness (pleasure):

Access On Insight translation:
Dispassion... Disenchantment... Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are present... Concentration... Pleasure... Serenity... Rapture... Joy... Conviction... Stress...

Metta.lk translation:
Destruction of desires... Release... Fading... Turning away... Knowledge of things... Concentration... Pleasantness... Tranquility... Emotions of delight... Joy... Faith... Unpleasantness...

I have forgotten Pleasantness!
Thanks!

------

Therefore, Pleasantness should be added (I will try to fix it without messing the all thing up [paste.it is not simple as it seems]).
However, I am not sure that Birth should be added for comprehension sake. But it is good that you mentioned it. Maybe I should put it like with another color (or faded) with "awakening" under, as a legend.

Once the potter's wheel stops turning, there is no more place for fabrications (determinations).

Cordially.

Last edited by cathutch : 30-01-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 30-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Knower

Birth fixed (with explanation in the previous post).
Pleasanteness fixed.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Knower

I have completed the Paticcasamupada file.
There is also a folder to be downloaded here with a more elaborated user interface (map-click on the categories) to view offline.

Cordially.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Experiencer
Hi cathutch,

You have written "Access on Insight translation" in #3 and the website is called "Access to Insight"

You might also like to look at Sutta Central for alternative translations.

This is a good 24 minute explanation for Dependent Origination (Paticca-Samuppada) from Ajahn Amaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-wIGlgmgpY

Best wishes,

Sam
Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
Hi cathutch,
Best wishes,
Sam
Thanks!

IMHO, Bhava is much more than Haaaaaa! when, (while meditating,) the pain in your feet goes away (according to the bikkhu in the video).

Indeed, dukkha (unpleasantness*) is born of birth, and the end of dukkha is born of faith.
Being (Bhava) is the crystallizing point of the dependant origination; the point where you understand or not the process of paticcasamupadda. And the point where you make (or not) a choice.
Once Being is aware of the process of dependent origination as it really is, then dukkha gets involved.

Then, either you turn down dukkha and go for the reinforcement of the categories, or you go for birth, and consequently towards unpleasantness (dukkha).
Either you go along with Mara (and future rebirth); or you take the path of liberation through faith.

For Mara is not the kind to let you get free for nothing. (MN144).
So Mara & friends are Holding (to the reinforcement of the categories, and to any freedom seeker, so to speak). While the freedom seeker (the true Buddhist) let go all the categories; one by one (up to Determinations and their gradual obliteration [which is indeed the path of Jhana also - a double path indeed]).
Then, when Mara & friends are not able to hold anymore, they fall into craving (their dukkha), so on and so forth; reinforcing the path of dependent origination. While the free bikkhu(ni) or upasa(i)ka enter Joy, etc; while, at the same time, obliterating the categories, one by one.
But at the slightest fault, they (Mara & friends) will be there again!

*Monks, what is ignorance?
Monks, if someone does not know unpleasantness, the arising of unpleasantness, the cessation of unpleasantness and the path leading to the cessation of unpleasantness. To that is said ignorance.
(SN - Nidana vagga)

Last edited by cathutch : 09-02-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Knower

May I add first that Dukkha, linked to birth in the Upanisa or "Jhana" path, does not represent the all mass of unpleasantness. It is however its preponderant component; as it is the necessary and unavoidable passage towards freedom, awakening and enlightenment. It is the ineluctable pain of birth.

Secondly, I would like to point out that, although the wheel of Dhamma graphic is a (not so) subjective interpretation, the explanations on the categories themselves are purely referring to the Suttas. They are not coming out of my own interpretation.
People might just as well, change or discard the graphic and comments, and keep the material on the categories as a reference.
It helps to know what a category in Buddhism really means in Buddha's own words. And it is, at large, crucial to know the exact meaning of the categories of ANY philosophy, before discussing it.

Cordially

May I add also that I consider the following texts as early Buddhist texts (EBTs) and that the results of my search are on them.
- Parayana group of sixteen poems without the prologue,
- Atthaka group of four or sixteen poems
- Digha (Vol. l)
- Majjhima
- Samyutta
And I am not going to argue about how I came to that long chewed over conclusion. If you want to proceed further, please feel free to do so do, and bring your outcomes here.