Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 AM
captain kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
They're called Buddhist centres, Monasteries or Temples. They don't have to be Chinese or Japanese in origin either because there are western groups as well as those that originated in Thailand, Burma, Tibet, and Sri Lanka.

A 'shrine' is a little bit like an altar and usually has a Buddha statue (which isn't worshipped, its there for inspiration and as a reminder.)

This could be some experience like I've never had before, which is rewarding in itself. I hope to have some kind of spiritual experience as well. Any more you can tell us could make me and it seems some others more comfortable and brave enough to go through with it. I just wonder whether they will expect a devout Buddhist in the centre, or is simple curiosity OK. Its more than curiosity but I can't call myself a follower just yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain kirk
This could be some experience like I've never had before, which is rewarding in itself. I hope to have some kind of spiritual experience as well. Any more you can tell us could make me and it seems some others more comfortable and brave enough to go through with it. I just wonder whether they will expect a devout Buddhist in the centre, or is simple curiosity OK. Its more than curiosity but I can't call myself a follower just yet.

"Just looking" is fine at the centres that I know of myself. Newcomers aren't expected to be devout Buddhists.

Always investigate carefully, and if possible don't just limit your investigations to one particular Buddhist tradition or school.....for example, if possible its good to see how both Theravada and Mahayana traditions do things, because there are differences...and even within those main headings there can still be other differences in the approach to practice.

In general, there can also be cultural add-ons and superstitions with some schools which have little to do with the Buddha's core teachings and are more connected with the culture of the country in which Dhamma was established, sometimes centuries after the death of the Buddha.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Sangress

I live right around the corner from the biggest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere and I've visited that place since I was a small child.

You should expect lots of incense, people wearing deep red or orange robes, shaven heads, vegetarian foods, quiet calm atmosphere, the ceremonial gongs, candles, one of more shrines to Buddha, a place where you will need to remove your shoes in which to enter (this would most likely be for meditation,) a place where art and scriptures are displayed, a still pond and probably a courtyard facing the direction in which the sun rises where tai chi and other exercises are performed.

I am unsure if this is unusual or not to most temples, but ours has a 6 story tower where all of the monks ashes are kept in the walls in wooden boxes with a lotus inscribed on the lid of each one. That place has such a stillness and emptiness to it, everyone there literally truly does rest in peace, absolutely awe inspiring.

(We have a hall where people teach children how to make origami...but I think that may just be part of a tourist attraction thing, so never mind about that.)

There is a lot more to it than that, but I'm just stating what to expect, not the details of the religion or any specific etiquette.

Also, for good measure, I am not Buddhist myself. I am just very well versed with the religion and find the monks to be very amazing and intellectual people and have many as friends.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Experiencer
Theravada Thai Forest tradition monks wear brownish - tan colored robes. Forest tradition monasteries don't burn incense either.

....and I think there are a range of different colors for Zen robes including black and white and dark maroon
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 AM
nventr

In the temples that I visit, there are no chairs or pews. Everyone sits on the floor on cushions. So, I recommend leaving the tight jeans at home.

Especially the ones that show the great divide.