Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 18-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Greg

Why do most scientists hate spirituality?

Is it because spirituality attempts to use science in it's attempts to describe the universe, and scientists get very defensive? I saw a programme today about an Astronomer who was giving a lecture on quantum physics. He called anyone who had a spiritual explanation on this as 'Mischievous Hippies' who spoke mumbo jumbo.
I often get very self conscious about my spiritual beliefs and am scared that I may be going against logic, going against the laws of the universe, but at the same time I can't ignore this innate spirituality I feel in me, It wont let me ignore it, no matter how much pain I feel.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:36 PM
midnightstar

It's maybe because they only think they understand everything? Just a guess
Old 16-02-2012, 08:42 PM
SpiralNature

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautydylan
It's maybe because they only think they understand everything? Just a guess

Sorry to say spoken like a true judgementalist

As a scientist myself my very presence on such a forum as this disproves the idea that scientists hate spirituality.

Its all about balance! And the media unfortunately has prevailed in convincing people we hate spirituality. And scientists come in many forms, and whilst one scientist may think its all mumbo jumbo just mean we all do.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:03 AM
hse1pbe

I don't think that scientists generally hate spirituality. What I do think happens, though, is that sometimes science is misunderstood and misrepresented by individuals who may be trying to make a spiritual point, which can annoy scientists, and may make them appear defensive. The scientists may have no problem with the spiritual conclusion, but if a person gets there by using incorrect science, of course a scientist is going to call them out on it.
Old 27-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Kepler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hse1pbe
I don't think that scientists generally hate spirituality. What I do think happens, though, is that sometimes science is misunderstood and misrepresented by individuals who may be trying to make a spiritual point, which can annoy scientists, and may make them appear defensive. The scientists may have no problem with the spiritual conclusion, but if a person gets there by using incorrect science, of course a scientist is going to call them out on it.

^This is a good answer. I know many scientists who are spiritual in many ways, for example through traditional religion.
Old 19-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Master
I never knew scientists hated spirituality, i thought it was the other way around.
Old 19-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Master
"Mischievous Hippies' who spoke mumbo jumbo." is quite an accurate description. lol
Old 19-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Etu Malku

I don't believe scientists have a hatred for spiritual things, they just accept any of it because there's no proof of any of it. They want to see ghosts and spirits too, but when they look . . . nothing's there!
Old 19-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Greg

Hybrid, why on earth are you on this site? You obvioulsy have no spirituality
Old 19-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Hybrid, why on earth are you on this site? You obvioulsy have no spirituality

oops, sorry greg if i come to you as being unsupportive. let me explain .... crackpots abound in the scientific community as well as in the spiritual community.

science is the study of objects like atoms or the universe as whole, or say the study of physical matter and it's processes, like say the brain.

spirituality is the study of subjectivity. it concentrates more on the mind and the heart. most importantly understanding consciousness, under the assumption that these things responsible for our experience comes from the spirit within us.

so while science looks outward in their study. spirituality looks inward. so they are not really at odds and in contrary they all agreed in many things.

one agreement is that they both acknowledge the oneness of all things.