Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 17-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Experiencer
How does yoga free trapped emotions from the body?

How does yoga free trapped emotions from the body?

And what type of yoga is best to achieve this?? Is it kundalini? I have no idea between the different types, I usually just copy from people on youtube lol

Any insights would be much appreciated. Thank you :)
Old 17-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Lorelyen

Just a suggestion, start with Hatha Yoga. If you're reasonably flexible, the Iyengar school. People speak of starting with Laya Yoga but an ability to relax, to be body-aware and know your body is in the best (natural) condition it can be, is honestly a best start.

When you speak of emotions "trapped" in the body, we all have emotions at one level or another, they're responses to stimuli internal and external and have a psychobiological base run by the nervous and endocrine systems. If you're speaking of a particular emotion or set of emotions which you seem unable to release, yoga can provide an expressionist way of releasing them but there are meditational practices that would help too. Yoga will help you to a calm and spiritual equilibrium if you're consistent and practice regularly.

It's not so much a complex as a large topic and hopefully others will lend their thoughts. Kundalini/Laya Yoga would help because it's much about balancing the energies in your body and developing the chakras but the aim should probably be to use any and all of these practices to develop a sense of spiritual wellness. Just deciding to make that an aim opens channels, paths. Laya is about fixing your focus on your higher consciousness, for which it will be necessary to unblock trapped emotions as you call them.

Let's see what others have to say!
Old 18-05-2014, 10:41 AM
JayaJ

I teach a blend of hatha yoga to warm up the body and then a kundalini kriya to to achieve the effect of elevation, peace and balance. Kundalini yoga is very well balanced with pranayama, kriya (set of postures that create a certain effect), mantra, mudra, and meditation.

Your heart will feel open will kundalini yoga which will often free 'trapped emotions'. Yoga in general gets things moving. Kundalini yoga is very devotional so you will tend to feel open and present.

I suggest that you could go pay a monthly subscription to and online yoga school. This will give you a range of yoga's to choose from. Youtube yoga can be a bit too random.

Sat Nam,
JayaJ
Old 22-05-2014, 02:09 AM
Knower

http://betterdayyoga.com/home/root-l...la-bandha/3092

Mula Bandha will help release emotions
Old 28-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Guide
I believe most yoga genres help free up and circulate energy. All the above comments are correct so I am going to elaborate on how I believe different aspects of yoga affect energy differently.

Emotions are energy that exists in our nervous system. We can trap this energy mentally with out minds or physical in our muscles, tendons, organs, etc.

Our ego (mind) is commonly used by the "unexperienced" to trap or block negative emotions from affecting us. this is a survival instinct that hurts us spiritually as opposed to freeing us spiritually. Most yoga incorporates breathing and mind relaxation (meditation). By relaxing facial muscles and breathing, the ego relaxes and frees up this energy. This can be accompanied with a short period of sadness and/or crying as we confront the energy. After confronting the energy, it is released and we feel refreshed as we can now move on to the future.

If you are sensitive like me, you will notice when someone becomes affected by negative energy (embarrassment, sadness, anger, etc.) by there physical appearance. People will tend to change posture (hunch, frown, look away, lose coordination abilities, tense up, etc.). These are all physical responses to negative energies. We are essentially trapping this energy in our muscles, tendons, and organs in order to adjust to it. This can cause wrinkles, back problems, arthritis, etc. over the long run if the energy is not freed up. Yoga addresses this with stretches to free up the energy, and resistance poses to burn off the energy. The reason, I believe, that we feel a great refreshing release after doing stretching and physical exercise, is because we have released that built up negative energy allowing for positive energy to flow freely.

I have come to these beliefs after doing yoga for about a year now. As you practice different forms of yoga, you will start to feel different benefits associated with different poses and techniques. I like kundalini yoga.
Old 18-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Experiencer
Yoga opens up and clears your chakras. Something like emotions that have been "trapped" there can block a chakra from operating at its best. Through continued yoga practice, it can become unblocked. Once that happens, the energy from that chakra will flow better.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Seeker
I practise Kundalini yoga and occasionally go to a Bikram yoga (hot yoga) class. I find Kundalini yoga makes me very relaxed and blissful and seems to disperse negative emotions. I've had some interesting experiences with Bikram yoga, when I first started doing it I would feel blissful for five-ten minutes after finishing the class and then from what seemed like nowhere, I'd be dominated by anger. Looking back, I was experiencing a lot of anger in my life at that time and it was like the heat from the yoga studio and my muscles made me sweat out and release all the badness.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Master
Fish

This is a great thread topic you started TonySG!

From what I know, hatha yoga releases emotions mostly from the body (cellular level) but Kundalini also releases emotions from the soul (through the heart chakra).

Hatha yoga taken to a spiritual level can also help the soul, but you won't get this from an ordinary yoga class which is really just gymnastics until and unless your Kundalini is activated beyond merely keeping the body processes functioning.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Pathfinder
Interesting topic :)
I would like to start taking Yoga classes so this is helping me make up my mind what to look for.
xXx
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 AM
candelight

Does muscle tightness generally mean one has traumas/trapped energy stored in it?

I have noticed my right side of the body is really bad, in the sense that I have very little flexibility. Touching my toes and general stretching involving the right side is tough.