Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:26 AM
Suspended
Smile

It really means the same, whatever angle we look at it. Although I do not agree with the severity of a place of penance. There is so much talk of punishment, that I do not quite go along with.

As you say, it is a term what is used to frighten us into submission.
Reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition whereby sinners were tortured in order to believe.

It was said that better the body be punished on earth, than the soul suffer eternal torment.

The way the Spiritualist looks at it; is that when a person dies, the soul is in shock. The Astral is like a mid way place. This is best illustrated in the film 'Ghost' and probably explains why those who have died suddenly, do not realise that they have died. In a way, a kind of 'purge' takes place where the spirit adapts gradually to it's new surroundings.

In science, transgression is always incremental. If we think about ice into steam. Transgression can be found in the way everything adapts, otherwise it goes into shock. Although this is a gradual state, the environment changes for each adaptive process. For example a child grows to a man. The surroundings are tailored to fit the state of mind in the adaptive process. A child will be more attuned to a playground, as an adult to let us say......a pub (now why did I pick that ?)

So if we take the law of science and apply it to religion, each has it's counter part, as the laws of nature and God are the same.
Anyway, this is just my viewpoint
Old 01-11-2006, 03:36 AM
BLAIR2BE

i do see; the "classical" definition of purgatory is a farce; but with a bit of "tuning", purgatory can be thought of as the astral "plane". purgatory is,however, a christian word. so astral plane should be the focus of this discussion? or shall we continue to work on the purgatory issue?

(good discussion, many opposing views, i like that)
Old 01-11-2006, 04:47 AM
Suspended
Christianity can go back a long way; yet Christ tried to explain things which has been distorted through the passing of time. There are many verses in the bible that mean the same thing. For example; there is reference to him saying:- "My Father's house has many mansions" which refers to the inner dimensions of the spirit world. Of course also many ref. to reincarnation.
"unless ye be born again...." "thy sins be forgiven thee" ref. to sin and karma and that by forgiving the sin , rids the bad karma, so the sufferer recovers .
Reiki.

Even the holding of palms in prayer is universal in most religions.

However, you are correct, but it's actual concept goes back way before Christianity. The word originates from Christian belief, but the whole concept of it goes back a long way. The Tibetian Book Of The Dead and Egyptian theology.

Yet the meaning is the same , but as you rightly say; the word is Christian origin.

Regards George
Old 01-11-2006, 04:51 AM
BLAIR2BE

so, i assume, pain and penance is a christian additive?? what say the book of the dead??
Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Suspended
Hi Blair2be,

What i understand, is that the origin of Christs teachings were that of brotherly love.
Yet the priests at that time made their converts for power. The church at that time became very rich by telling people to obey the teachings of the elders. Unless they obeyed they would go to hell. This is the hold, that the priests had over the people.
Without treading on anyone's toes, it all boils down to belief.
The Tibetans accept the Astral as being a twilight world and often guide the recently deceased by going into the Astral and guiding the soul on it's journey. there are various chanting ceremonies in the Book of The Dead, which the Tibetans often use for guiding the spirit. I am not much of an expert on this, but perhaps others may pick up on this point.
Regards George
Old 21-03-2007, 10:05 AM
lawsofattraction

I recommend you read the book Conservation with God by Neale D Walsch.... this will answer all the questions you have about hell and everything else.

Old 21-03-2007, 12:02 PM
amyangel

What is purgatory?

'What is Purgatory'?

...Cleaning out the Fridge!! (lol)

Love, Amy
Old 27-03-2007, 04:06 PM
spiritalk

Purgatory is a Christian (RC) concept of a between life stage of existence when the spirit has left the body. The body is the temporary existence and dies and decays. The spirit is eternal.

Although the spirit is eternal, there are many levels of awareness of spirit and its continuity. Some people give no consideration to an afterlife while others have an idea (religious or otherwise) of the continuity of the spirit.

There is generally considered 7 spheres (many traditions) and the most spiritually advanced are reserved for those who seek that level of awareness and understanding. The one most like our present earth condition is no. 3 and that is where most people go that have any idea of an afterlife at all. In this idea, perhaps pergatory could be considered a lower realm?

The ideas and thoughts we fill our being with will go with us in spirit. So what we anticipate and expect will certainly be manifest in the afterlife. If you are seeking this level of pergatory, you will be sure to find it...just as others have a higher viewpoint.

God bless, j
Closed Thread