Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 19-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Master
Yes... quite so.

Xan

Old 21-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliness
Ramana Maharshi says that the analogy of tasting sugar vs. being sugar doesn't work because sugar is insentient, unlike consciousness:

Q: If the individual becomes the form of the absolute, then who will enjoy the bliss of the absolute? To enjoy the bliss of the absolute, we must be slightly separate from it, like the fly that tastes sugar from a little distance.

M: The bliss of the absolute is the bliss of one's own nature. It is not born, nor has it been created. Pleasure that is created is sure to be destroyed. Sugar, being insentient, cannot give its own taste. The fly has to keep a little distance to taste it. But the absolute is awareness and consciousness. It can give its own bliss, but its nature cannot be understood without attaining that state.

http://www.realization.org/page/doc0/doc0098.htm
How on earth did you find a quote like this on sugar?! Ha!
(Rhetorical)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 21-12-2011, 05:46 PM
oliness

Lol. Well I wasn't looking for a quote on sugar per se, just had read Ramana's question and answers and remembered it when I saw this thread :-)
Old 30-12-2011, 11:31 PM
silent whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
The fly has to keep a little distance to taste it.

Yes, but this little distance is not an either/or sort of thing. I learned from Dzogchen Buddhism that we can be aware both as the absolute - the oneness, and as an individual conscious in the silent presence... simultaneously. This is also my own experience.

Xan

I have never found the words to describe it...today something in my space connects to this......which brings me to another question in my mind..Why is that understanding is sometimes needed after experience and not the other way around? why must we understand? Why isnt the experience itself enough? Perhaps because I sit in a space right now, which I do not understand, but I am experiencing. Unsure of its purpose, unsure of its opening...but aware of it all...I guess it becomes another level of acceptance..as it is...nothing more.
Old 30-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Gracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
''I want to taste sugar not be sugar.''

I really relate to this.

I want to feel God, not "be" God.

Any comments?

just a weird dream i had two nights ago about a small cartoon guy singing about sugar. he was singing something along the sorts of it does not matter how much sugar you put on you, you will not be sugar. weird, even weirder after i came across this thread you started.
Old 31-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
just a weird dream i had two nights ago about a small cartoon guy singing about sugar. he was singing something along the sorts of it does not matter how much sugar you put on you, you will not be sugar. weird, even weirder after i came across this thread you started.
Made me laugh - yes it is funny.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 22-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Ascender
Miss Hepburn, I've been recently reading Prabhupada's books ( prabhupadabooks.com ) and when I'm reading your experience, I'm associating it with Prabhupada's writings and translations. For example, the following excerpt from Prabhupada's writings:

---
There are five kinds of liberation stated in the scriptures. One is to become one with the Supreme Personality of Godhead, or to forsake one’s individuality and merge into the Supreme Spirit. This is called ekātmatām. A devotee never accepts this kind of liberation. The other four liberations are: to be promoted to the same planet as God (Vaikuṇṭha), to associate personally with the Supreme Lord, to achieve the same opulence as the Lord and to attain His same bodily features. A pure devotee, as Kapila Muni will explain, does not aspire for any of the liberations. He especially despises the attempt to become one with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Śrī Prabodhānanda Sarasvatī, a great devotee of Lord Caitanya, said, kaivalyaṁ narakāyate: “The happiness of becoming one with the Supreme Lord, which is the aspiration of the Māyāvādīs, is considered hellish.” That oneness is not for pure devotees.
Actually the impersonalists do not merge into the existence of the Supreme person but into His personal bodily luster, which is called brahmajyoti. Although that brahmajyoti is not different from His personal body, that sort of oneness (merging into the bodily luster of the Personality of Godhead) is not accepted by a pure devotee because the devotees engage in greater pleasure than merging into His existence.
---
Old 23-04-2013, 01:45 AM
I am presently using a Prabhupada book behind my laptop so the fan can ventilate better on my lap...what were the chances, kralaro?

I had to look that I was the one that started this thread in 2011.
Gosh, I inspire MYSELF!!

I am honored you would see a resemblance to the writings of Prabhupada's...it shows how easily any lover of the Lord can
realize exalted insights.
What a blessing this spiritual path to God is....

Old 11-05-2013, 04:20 AM
TThor

I'm sad I missed this thread :/

I have first lived and then tried to live this ideal of Bhakti (taste the sugar) for more than 20 years. Ramakrishna (and Vivekananda) were my initiators when I was 17. I would have much to say about this sugar... and that I wish I could taste it more. Allow me just this excerpt from Max Muller, Ramakrishna - Tales And Parables:

While praying to God, ask only for love for His Lotus Feet.

When Rama redeemed Ahalya* from the curse, He said to her, "Ask a boon of Me". Ahalya said, "O Rama, if you deign to grant me a boon, then please fulfil my desire that I may always meditate on your Lotus Feet, even though I may be born in a pig's body."

I prayed to the Divine Mother only for love. I offered flowers at Her Lotus Feet and said with folded hands: "O Mother, here is Thy ignorance and here is Thy knowledge; take them both and give me pure love for Thee.

*The beautiful and devoted wife of a great sage named Gautama. Indra, the king of heaven, infatuated with her beauty seduced her, impersonating her husband. The sage, coming to know of this, cursed her and turned her into a stone', but he said that the touch of Rama's feet would restore her human form. Indra, too, received his share of the curse, as a result of which he had a thousand eruptions on his body. Hence he is known as the thousand-eyed God.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:26 AM
TThor

Ok :) and this one from Vivekananda, Bhakti Yoga (from the conclusion)

When this highest ideal of love is reached, philosophy is thrown away; who will then care for it? Freedom, salvation, Nirvâna—all are thrown away; who cares to become free while in the enjoyment of divine love? “Lord, I do not want wealth, nor friends, nor beauty, nor learning, nor even freedom; let me be born again and again, and be Thou ever my Love. Be Thou ever and ever my Love.” “Who cares to become sugar,” says the Bhakta, “I want to taste sugar.”