Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 30-05-2011, 03:23 PM
supernova

What is God?

I do not know how to start with this. Different persons, different religions have different versions of God. We do not know whose version is correct and whose incorrect. God as I have learned as a child was a four handed deity or a multi-handed goddess or something formless, nameless and beyond description. God is not an image or God is just awareness. God is not an entity and there is no personality.
I do not know different persons will have to say differently. I am just waiting for your description of God thought God is indescribable according to some culture.
Old 30-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Prokopton

I'm a natural polytheist myself. I'll be doing a post on my blog in a couple of weeks' time where I'll argue roughly:

1. There are clearly multiple deities.
2. It is clearly the case that one can see the Ultimate through more than one of them.

For example, at times in Egypt the gods of different cities were held to be the creator god, simultaneously, in their respective cities. In Memphis Ptah was celebrated as creator god, in Hermopolis it was Thoth. Etc. There are many similarities to be found in the Greek and Indian pantheons with this situation, which as their respective cultures continued were solved by various political means.

Each of these gods was an aspect of the All, which is not identified with any single god, but which can be reached through any of many (probably infinite) gods.

For me the Hebrew storm god known as Jehovah amongst many names, is simply one more such god, as is Jesus. Particular god-cults always require certain behaviour from their followers. In the case of Judeo-Christian belief, the idea that we are all following (and should only follow) one particular deity has led to the mistaken impression that we should all behave in one particular way, the way that pleases that deity. But if one follows another deity, or no deity at all, that of course is untrue.

These being my beliefs you'll never hear me talk about 'god' as a synonym for any kind of universal unity. I fully believe in that unity but I don't consider it as equivalent to a god, and certainly not to any one god.
Old 30-05-2011, 03:49 PM
northstar

hmm... god of gods or demi god... my demi god can do everything we attribute to gods... intervene in the path of mankind... heal the sick and raise the dead (these statements are from experiences not books)... she can be grandmotherly, or a young female teacher, or a male teacher... her form suits the circumstance... she is free to make her own decisions, and need no permission... create new life... but she said one thing to me that might be a message to the growth of mankind... she said 'we are 'not' to be perceived as gods'...

is there a god of gods, as krishna is described... well, i dont know, and it really doesnt make any difference to me if there is or not... i'm good where i'm at... but you might say my god is one of few evolved souls that has stayed behind to help those coming behind them (of the gazillions that exist)... its really more involved than that, but... i know you're busy (smile)...
Old 30-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Prokopton

@northstar, that makes perfect sense to me.

More of the beings we call 'gods' are of that nature than is currently often understood IMO, and not all of them mind being known that way.
Old 30-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Time

Monotheism - A big dude in the sky that is watching you to make sure you dont do anything bad. Be governs everything, and created everything, and everything "belongs" to him.

Polytheism - Generaly, they werent seen as human beings in governing everything. Everything ha its purpose, and they used humans in their myths to better understand it. Its easier to draw a human form, then something you dont understand right? They see "gods" as more of a natural force that is responsible for a certain thing, not necassarily as some omnipotent human being. Their may be a "cheif" or " governming " god, but none is realy more importiant then the rest. And also, depending on your geography, the god of worship may change ( usualy with climate, desert dwellers would worship food and water gods, etc)
Old 30-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Lisa

God is the love-crazed sound of cicadas in the trees.
Old 30-05-2011, 07:13 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

'God' is a word we use to describe a supreme spiritual experience, realization of the whole relationship between us as individuals and the collective whole we are, too..

Be well..
Old 30-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Blaze

God is what you make out as 'Perfectness' from your own perspective. Unless the ultimate God is beyond any reach of our understanding.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Prokopton

One couldn't call any god just an experience -- not if you want to define the word as it's used round the world. From the beginning of association with gods, they have had to do stuff, indeed it's their ability to do stuff that grants them status within the tribe.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:19 PM
ete233

Pure Formless Potential.