Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 27-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Knower

Vegetarian + eating disorder

Hi all

I have been a vegetarian for 13 nearly 14 years. I have also been suffering with anorexia for the past couple of years.

I found out a month or so ago that I am pregnant, massive surprise! So my previous strict diet of no more than 800 calories a day went out of the window, much to my dismay. I had a crazy hunger which I had had all the while that I was restricting my diet but this time it is way beyond control.

Because of the inner battle I have had with my physical perception of myself, I am frightened to death of putting on any unneccessary weight! I have already gained quite a lot..from averaging a BMI between 14 and 16 to now having a healthy BMI of 19 so this gives a rough idea of weight gain.

I have been eating as much fruit as I can stomach (I hadn't eaten fruit for about 2 years!) and just generally trying to eat healthily. But I am struggling to create a balanced diet, that is low in fat but high in all neccessary nutrients. I still struggle with this obsession of wanting to be "unhealthy" and weigh next to nothing and to have a low BMI but I know this cannot happen whilst ever I am pregnant because baby is more important than my wants and preferences.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on creating an ideal diet that I can stick to? I crave structure and order, so I like to eat at specific times. Any examples of diets would be much appreciated, or advice :)

Thank you guys, sorry for the long message!

Kis x
Old 27-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Master

Kis I would urge you discuss this with your doctor, your child will take what he / she needs from you. And something not just to consider whilst pregnant but also when you are nursing as well, your body will still need a high energy diet. If you can get a referral to a nutritionist, you might be able to come up with a workable plan which will be healthy and safe.

For me to eat carefully, I like eggs - I don't know if you eat eggs? High protein. Omlettes - I have them every other day. Also, nuts, just a few, and you get a package of protein.

Just one more thought, eating is very very much a learned function, and problems we might have with eatnig are often related back to early childhood. You are in your relatively early stages of pregnancy so also worth thinking about how you might set an example to your child as to how to eat happily and healthily.

I hope this miracle of new birth is the start of a healing for you. Something to think about, I hope I dont sound pressurising but it would be wonderful if the two events could be linked.

Good for you for addressing it wisely.
Old 29-03-2013, 02:40 AM
MissDaytona

First off congratulations!! How beautiful :) I've been where you are, I had an eating disorder and it's hard to overcome but you can do it!! and you'll be much stronger for it :) Tofu is awesome, so much protein and low in saturated fat. Eggs are great too, Also if you have ever heard of Quorn I suggest you try it. It's mad from mushrooms and nearly 0 carbs, all protein and low calories and fat and really good for you! Beans, Lentils are great too. Wishing you all the best and happiness in the world. Much Love <3 xx
Old 29-03-2013, 02:41 AM
MissDaytona

oopsies that was fricken ages ago, well and truly had the baby now lol...