Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 25-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Pathfinder

Time for a new religion

I would like to discuss the need for a new religion. You probably think that there are too many religions as it is, and I am inclined to agree with you. But all of the existing religions lack something which is crucial to the forward evolution of our society. The major religions attempt to answer questions about life after death, but do not address the questions we need answered about life before death. While we are alive on this planet we have a lot of work to do before God will be satisfied with our efforts.

The Christian belief of Heaven and Hell are the crux of the problem. People believe that eternal punishment is something which must be avoided at all costs, and are all too eager to accept ridiculous notions if it means they are exempt from such pain and suffering. Shortcuts to Heaven abound throughout the various churches, and salvation creates the complacency which is so prevalent in our world and which is largely responsible for our collective indifference to the trials and tribulations of so many members of our human family. Too many people believe that all they have to do to gain eternal life is to believe that Jesus died for their sins. Life is a bit more complicated than such a simple formula.

Rather than accept eternal punishment and/or eternal reward as what awaits us after death, I think it is more prudent to embrace a belief system which describes a gradual progression along a very long path at the end of which can be found the eternal reward. In a word, Reincarnation. After many lives, perhaps hundreds of thousands, our consciousness grows and expands until we are aware of the Divinity we have always been a part of.

Given a long and arduous path which must be traversed before enjoying the eternal reward, individuals will be forced to change their evil ways if they are ever to find happiness. There are no religions today which provide this built-in incentive system. Religions today do not synthesize humanity as much as they create separation and discord. I believe this new religion could speed up our social evolution dramatically, and provide a platform of love and respect and right human relations. We are all one family on this glorious planet and the sooner we recognize the divinity of everyone the sooner we can enjoy the eternal reward. Spirituality, love and unity will be rewarded. Materialistic separatism and hate will be punished.

All of the religions are very similar in that they promote loving, selfless behavior. The basic tenets of Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Christianity are all good, beautiful and true. The new religion will build on these tenets, emphasize our shared Path, and teach how we can help each other find eternal reward.

This thread is just a thought experiment. I'm interested in finding out if anyone is receptive to this idea. Please don't reply to this if you just want to argue. We are all one. Not all are aware of this fact and as a result we have the problems of humanity. Love is the key to solving all of these problems. This new religion will promote love, because failure to love will yield bad and painful karma. Nobody wants bad and painful karma.
Old 25-11-2017, 06:06 AM
Master
' The major religions attempt to answer questions about life after death, but do not address the questions we need answered about life before death '

Why do you think only religion can answer these questions ? Could they be answered without religion ?
Old 25-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Pathfinder

Altruism is the key to solving these questions. There are no 'factories of altruism' within society. It is the job of the Church to provide these factories, if you will. The Church has failed. Altruism is loving, selfless, angelic behavior, and is therefore a function of our spiritual institutions. Religion defines our relationship with God and nature and each other. So no, I don't think they can be answered without religion.
Old 25-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Master
What is it that makes a 'religion' any different to a spiritual path with millions of adherents?

Is Bah'ai a religion? What about "Unitarianism?" is "Theosphy" a religion? how about the whole "New Age" movement?

You'll find that the problem with making a new religion, is that it's all been done before and there's something already out there which will meet your needs if you look hard enough.
Old 25-11-2017, 07:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylama
Altruism is the key to solving these questions. There are no 'factories of altruism' within society. It is the job of the Church to provide these factories, if you will. The Church has failed. Altruism is loving, selfless, angelic behavior, and is therefore a function of our spiritual institutions. Religion defines our relationship with God and nature and each other. So no, I don't think they can be answered without religion.

Each to their own, some need a religion to follow, others look within not without for answers.
Old 25-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Master

I won't argue - but a need for a new religion is not on my 'things to have' list.

Here's a good hint though at forming the future in accord with rapidly growing insights:

We live in a world not of real things but of opinion and fantasy.

This is from Epictetus, a man of many parts.
Old 25-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Lorelyen

There was a recent discussion here on religion v spirituality. Religions require leaders and ministers which means following the belief system of another - which is fine for those who can and do agree with the core beliefs, not so good for those who have seen/experienced what religions can and have become. Christianity has pitched it right with followers being sheep, the flock (and presumably the priests are the sheep-dogs rounding em up). Sheep metaphorically are entities that don't think for themselves.

Most of the current strife in the world has been brought on by religions in their particular name for god.

They all pretend to be about love and peace but pitted against each other they aren't. I don't know how yet another would solve the problem.
Old 25-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Most of the current strife in the world has been brought on by religions in their particular name for god.

They all pretend to be about love and peace but pitted against each other they aren't. I don't know how yet another would solve the problem.
I'm a Hindu, so do I get to say that "does not apply?"

However, we'll take the case of Hinduism. It is a religion with thousands of sub-sects and what you call Altruism, we call Dharma...and Buddhism is exactly the same.

I'm not trying to push or preach my religion, but because it is so diverse, basically anything you could ever want in a religion is there, if you find the right school of thought and belief...there's even a sect for the followers of Mahatma Gandhi within Hinduism itself. The religion caters for almost every type and style of human character and temperament in one way or another if you go deeply into those schools of thought....tis why I like it so.
Old 25-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Kioma

Googling 'religious atrocities' gives copious results, whether Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or practically any religion.

The OP raises some serious questions, which simply cannot and should not be ignored.
Old 25-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylama

All of the religions are very similar in that they promote loving, selfless behavior. The basic tenets of Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Christianity are all good, beautiful and true. The new religion will build on these tenets, emphasize our shared Path, and teach how we can help each other find eternal reward.

Hello,

My understanding is that religions will evolve to the point where that shared Path you speak about is known and applied. When all religions are in harmony with each other, the specific beliefs will become less important.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/