Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 15-09-2019, 04:11 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It can be twisted to make Gods appear, but this is the way the mind wrests the inexplicable by telling stories. One can see the way the way the mind fabricates this and we end up with thousands of sects that tell different stories and a plethora of sectarian Gods.

The teacher Gotama was not talking about Gods. He was only saying there is suffering in the world and it can be resolved. Apparently no one caught on - probably because one has to face reality (no easy feat) - and people continue to imagine sectarian Gods in preference to being truthful with themselves.

I know when I talk about the feeling of your breath the mind will concoct visions of prana energy and so on in order to distract itself from the actuality of sensation which you can simply feel. All of a sudden mind creates a special magic breath other than the sensation which is there, and this excitement is a favoured form of distraction.

Ive been through it during my meditation studies. The mind tried to imagine the breath as a special kind of light or life force, but it isn't. It turns out it is the sensation as it is experienced without any imagination added to it. That's where the story ends and the reality begins, because it is simply true 'this is the feeling as it is'. That doesn't explain anything, which is very unsatisfying, so the mind starts to make stuff up as a means of distraction and before a minute is gone you are no longer paying attention to the real lived as mind has swept you away. People want an answer, abstract knowledge, a belief no matter how implausible, and do not want to be aware of 'what is', just as it is, just in the way it is experienced.

To me it is amazing that a context so simple as the feeling of your breathing makes the sectarian beliefs people give so much importance to completely irrelevant. I say feel your breathing and everyone knows that regardless of their spiritual beliefs. How is it that these beliefs are contextually irrelevant to actuality?

i don't see lights. i don't see guides or gods. not ordinarily.

my girflriend see's the above. she is simply developed different or perhaps open to such awareness.

some people have that awareness. some don't. perhaps some just have some experinces. or it may develop.

but me being like a blind man i know i am. and accept some aren't. suxh as my girlfriend.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 15-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The idea is, the teachings of the Buddha are not sectarian, but universal, so it doesn't matter what religion you are. You are breathing just like anyone else and you can observe the breath regardless of your religious beliefs. Indeed there is nothing to believe - you just feel the sensation of yourself breathing -

This is why I had a Buddhist statue in my garden because for me it represented tranquility, calmness within the self and inner reflection (or meditation). But being Christian some people were confused as to why I had a statue of Buddha in my yard. LOL Go figure.
Old 15-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
This is why I had a Buddhist statue in my garden because for me it represented tranquility, calmness within the self and inner reflection (or meditation). But being Christian some people were confused as to why I had a statue of Buddha in my yard. LOL Go figure.

Synchronicity!

I just read this in Seth / Roberts' "The Nature of Personal Reality":

"... while still being white, fairly well-off, and perhaps secretly addicted to your Christianity. You will doubtlessly have Buddhas tastefully displayed, and Indian beads.”

For the context, follow the link.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 16-09-2019, 07:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
I notice how nobody has said anything about my previous post...I take the lack of censure as "say whatever you want, Shivani because nobody cares anyway". LOL

I have statues of Shiva and statues of Buddha all around for exactly the same reason...but moreso, Lord Shiva.

Shiva reminds me of much more than just tranquility, peace, inner calmness and self-reflection/meditation...there is also ascetism, penance, occult knowledge, gnosis, mysticism, perfection in the Arts, an inherent beauty and self-assured presence in whatever shape He shifts into, discipline, unfolding the layers of deepest awareness...the Deity of Shiva resonates with me very strongly...pretty much always has...I have no hesitation hanging the label of "God" (Sanghyang Widhi Wasa) around his neck like a cobra.

In Bali and Java, the Religion from the 11th to the 16th century was a pretty heady mix of Zen Buddhism, Shaivism and Animism...I still follow that way, even though it has not existed for about 500 years.

In the end, the followers of Buddha and the followers of Shiva parted ways...often going to war with each other.

What followed, was a select few from both camps joining forces in the name of compassion, tolerance and lovingkindness and the Kakawin Sutasoma was written:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inqui...s-implications

"Bhinneka Tunggal Ika" (Unity in Diversity) became the motto of Indonesia and SiwaBuddha became a Deity in its own right:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LCWXB9kq6vA

So, I follow an ancient, defunct belief system...part Zen, part Vajrayana, part Shaivism, part Animism, part Shamanism, part Tantra...Shiva is both God and "Not God" simultaneously...just like me. =)
Old 16-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Legrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by running
i don't see lights. i don't see guides or gods. not ordinarily.

my girflriend see's the above. she is simply developed different or perhaps open to such awareness.

Hello running,

Could we say that there is a difference between male and female approach to spirituality in general?

Enjoy!
Old 16-09-2019, 12:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It can be twisted to make Gods appear, but this is the way the mind wrests the inexplicable by telling stories. One can see the way the way the mind fabricates this and we end up with thousands of sects that tell different stories and a plethora of sectarian Gods.

The teacher Gotama was not talking about Gods. He was only saying there is suffering in the world and it can be resolved. Apparently no one caught on - probably because one has to face reality (no easy feat) - and people continue to imagine sectarian Gods in preference to being truthful with themselves.

I know when I talk about the feeling of your breath the mind will concoct visions of prana energy and so on in order to distract itself from the actuality of sensation which you can simply feel. All of a sudden mind creates a special magic breath other than the sensation which is there, and this excitement is a favoured form of distraction.

Ive been through it during my meditation studies. The mind tried to imagine the breath as a special kind of light or life force, but it isn't. It turns out it is the sensation as it is experienced without any imagination added to it. That's where the story ends and the reality begins, because it is simply true 'this is the feeling as it is'. That doesn't explain anything, which is very unsatisfying, so the mind starts to make stuff up as a means of distraction and before a minute is gone you are no longer paying attention to the real lived as mind has swept you away. People want an answer, abstract knowledge, a belief no matter how implausible, and do not want to be aware of 'what is', just as it is, just in the way it is experienced.

To me it is amazing that a context so simple as the feeling of your breathing makes the sectarian beliefs people give so much importance to completely irrelevant. I say feel your breathing and everyone knows that regardless of their spiritual beliefs. How is it that these beliefs are contextually irrelevant to actuality?

Your right it’s so simple when you arrive to know this.

my process was shifting and changing so much that eventually I understood that I imagined and created everything to come to the realisation that I was only moving through it, to end the containment held within it.

The story becomes something real in the process unfolding, yet the story falls away when you realize nothing fits it anymore. Sadly some stories go on for years because people believe it’s something special, or a grand gift, it can continue to trap them from a more grounded awareness of the simplicity within it all.. the breath and building ones own aliveness to enjoy a better quality of life..
Old 16-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I notice how nobody has said anything about my previous post...I take the lack of censure as "say whatever you want, Shivani because nobody cares anyway". LOL

I have statues of Shiva and statues of Buddha all around for exactly the same reason...but moreso, Lord Shiva.

Shiva reminds me of much more than just tranquility, peace, inner calmness and self-reflection/meditation...there is also ascetism, penance, occult knowledge, gnosis, mysticism, perfection in the Arts, an inherent beauty and self-assured presence in whatever shape He shifts into, discipline, unfolding the layers of deepest awareness...the Deity of Shiva resonates with me very strongly...pretty much always has...I have no hesitation hanging the label of "God" (Sanghyang Widhi Wasa) around his neck like a cobra.

In Bali and Java, the Religion from the 11th to the 16th century was a pretty heady mix of Zen Buddhism, Shaivism and Animism...I still follow that way, even though it has not existed for about 500 years.

In the end, the followers of Buddha and the followers of Shiva parted ways...often going to war with each other.

What followed, was a select few from both camps joining forces in the name of compassion, tolerance and lovingkindness and the Kakawin Sutasoma was written:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inqui...s-implications

"Bhinneka Tunggal Ika" (Unity in Diversity) became the motto of Indonesia and SiwaBuddha became a Deity in its own right:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LCWXB9kq6vA

So, I follow an ancient, defunct belief system...part Zen, part Vajrayana, part Shaivism, part Animism, part Shamanism, part Tantra...Shiva is both God and "Not God" simultaneously...just like me. =)

Nice comments. Do you have all of your statues out?

As a side note, I think an interesting thread might be to ask people what type of statues people have around their home.

You mentioned Animism.... I have been thinking the last few days about my Mother-in-law who asked me numerous times for 2 statues - one male and one female that when you put them together - they are having sex. She would sell them to women who wanted to have a relationship. And yes I would buy the statues every time she asked.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Last edited by BigJohn : 17-09-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 16-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand
Hello running,

Could we say that there is a difference between male and female approach to spirituality in general?

Enjoy!

as i see it worshipping the current. the feminine. bliss. shakti. is the feminine path. as that is the divine mother.

on that other side. you have silence. the void. the masculine worship.

Buddhism is generally a very and perhaps hardcore masculine path based on what i see on the forum and others. it disregards all except the masculine. but i have no doubt. buddhism that im not around someplace, somewhere, is both.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 16-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
as i see it worshipping the current. the feminine. bliss. shakti. is the feminine path. as that is the divine mother.

on that other side. you have silence. the void. the masculine worship.

Buddhism is generally a very and perhaps hardcore masculine path based on what i see on the forum and others. it disregards all except the masculine. but i have no doubt. buddhism that im not around someplace, somewhere, is both.

I think your right. I also see the merging of masculine/feminine as important. The Buddhist path all the same brings awareness through its simplicity to understand everything without seperation. So from a Buddhist view everything within is opening, balancing without need to make it be something. The lived experience will always reveal what more one can understand through all aspects of becoming/bejng, which is why the world is an opportunity to explore yourself as everything you are. Being confined to a monastery doing the same thing day in day out under the guidelines and teachings is really about getting to know yourself. Once you know you can aspire to be in the world or just be as you are and stay as things are. To me it’s in the changes and shakeups of the real world where one discovers more, understands potential beyond just the discipline of practice. We are multi dimensional creative beings. Where you focus is your choice all the same..
Old 17-09-2019, 04:16 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The Buddhist religion is quite unique among the mainstream religions because it is not based on God.

I know there are Bells and whistles and Buddhism is as confused as any other religion, but I did my time studying meditation and we had many different people from all different religions attend our retreats, including Buddhist monks from various other sects.

The idea is, the teachings of the Buddha are not sectarian, but universal, so it doesn't matter what religion you are. You are breathing just like anyone else and you can observe the breath regardless of your religious beliefs. Indeed there is nothing to believe - you just feel the sensation of yourself breathing -
I don't know. This is a very challenging topic. But to the degree that Buddhism cannot accept sectarian beliefs it cannot be universal. I cannot say I have studied a great deal of Buddhism but from what I have read the Buddha refused to answer questions about the nature of God. That is not the same thing as saying there is no God. Or that there is a God.

And the fact that he refused to answer speaks volumes, not about the irrelevance of the question, but rather to the difficulty of sharing the universal Dharma in a way such that it can transcend beliefs without abandoning the person who holds them. To me the relationship is the point, not the beliefs. One must approach the beliefs of another with great care.