Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Newbie ;)

The Inner Sound Current (Continued)

(The 2010 thread was closed so I am starting a new one to continue the discussion on the Inner Sound Current)

The Hatha Yoga Pradipika explains that the practice of Asana, Pranayama and Mudra lead a person to hearing the Anahata Nada, the Unstruck Sound, the sound of one hand clapping, Aum, Amen, the primordial vibration of creation, the Word of God.

I am 60 and have heard the Nada since I was a child, only a handful of times over the course of my life when I was in desperate need. It was always a great comfort to me. Somehow even then I knew without knowing the Sound was the Voice of God.

When the Sound began to manifest itself during my practice my Teacher explained few students hear the Anahata Nada. That I needed to understand I had been given a great gift and was not to think too highly of myself; the duality of the Nada could make it an impediment to my spiritual growth instead of a guide. He encouraged me to explore the Sound and shared this was a very personal journey; the practice would reveal itself to me.

I hear the Nada whenever I turn my attention to it now. I devote time to listening after my morning prayers and before I go to sleep at night. The Sound grows louder as I move through my daily Yoga practice signaling me to begin Savasana. I do my best to listen at all time with humble gratefulness, respect, and openness until the cares of the world seize my attention again.

Last edited by all_is_coming : 08-09-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_is_coming
(The 2010 thread was closed so I am starting a new one to continue the discussion on the Inner Sound Current)

The Hatha Yoga Pradipika explains that the practice of Asana, Pranayama and Mudra lead a person to hearing the Anahata Nada, the Unstruck Sound, the sound of one hand clapping, Aum, Amen, the primordial vibration of creation, the Word of God.

I am 60 and have heard the Nada since I was a child, only a handful of times over the course of my life when I was in desperate need. It was always a great comfort to me. Somehow even then I knew without knowing the Sound was the Voice of God.

When the Sound began to manifest itself during my practice my Teacher explained few students hear the Anahata Nada. That I needed to understand I had been given a great gift and was not to think too highly of myself; the duality of the Nada could make it an impediment to my spiritual growth instead of a guide. He encouraged me to explore the Sound and shared this was a very personal journey; the practice would reveal itself to me.

I hear the Nada whenever I turn my attention to it now. I devote time to listening after my morning prayers and before I go to sleep at night. The Sound grows louder as I move through my daily Yoga practice signaling me to begin Savasana. I do my best to listen at all time with humble gratefulness, respect, and openness until the cares of the world seize my attention again.

Thankyou for sharing.
Your last line interests me. It kind of shows me how many attune to the nature of god, spirit, inner sound current, but find it difficult to bridge it through them, as that into the world.

In the practice of humility, gratefulness and respect that it moves you to be, is that difficult or easy for you to be this way in the world as that? Ultimately ‘becoming’ the practice as you reflects as you are?

What does the world reflect back to you, when your attention moves beyond your practice?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:24 AM
Master

Quote:

I was taught to listen to the Sound Current initially on the right side of the head. It becomes a vibration at the sahasrara chakra and the Sound fills the head. Through concentration the Sound then descends from the head down to the heart. With deep concentration the Sound can descend all the way down the spine. It is such a beautiful meditation practice.

Peace
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Master
That's great, you sound quite progressive with your practice. :)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I was taught to listen to the Sound Current initially on the right side of the head.
That is the method described in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and Nada Bindu Upanishad:

[4-67] muktāsane sthito yoghī mudrāṃ sandhāya śāmbhavīm |
śṝṇuyāddakṣhiṇe karṇe nādamantāsthamekadhīḥ

“He seats himself in siddhasana and assumes shambhavi mudra, listening to the inner sound that rings in his right ear…"

There is an interesting note about the meaning of the “right” ear in the translation by B K S Iyengar, Ulrich Rieker and Elsy Becherer:

“And why not in the left car? Dakshina means "right" but also "good, propitious, capable." So it really says here "in the true ear," and this is the "car of the heart."
Old 09-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Master
http://http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130729&highlight=starman
Old 09-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Master

Quote:
That is the method described in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and Nada Bindu Upanishad:

[4-67] muktāsane sthito yoghī mudrāṃ sandhāya śāmbhavīm |
śṝṇuyāddakṣhiṇe karṇe nādamantāsthamekadhīḥ

“He seats himself in siddhasana and assumes shambhavi mudra, listening to the inner sound that rings in his right ear…"

There is an interesting note about the meaning of the “right” ear in the translation by B K S Iyengar, Ulrich Rieker and Elsy Becherer:

“And why not in the left car? Dakshina means "right" but also "good, propitious, capable." So it really says here "in the true ear," and this is the "car of the heart."

Very interesting. As well as the inner Sound there is also the inner Light.

Shambhavi mudra is described as gazing at the point between the eyebrows, which may also include gently using the fingers to aid concentration - ‘Touching eyeballs as a feather, lightness between them opens into the heart and there permeates the cosmos.’

I see a translation of the Nada Bindu Upanishad which says:

31. The Yogin being in the Siddhasana (posture) and practising the Vaishnavi-Mudra, should always hear the internal sound through the right ear.

Vaishnavi Mudra involves blocking the ears with the thumbs to remove all external sounds.

Nada Yoga teaches:
  1. Sound helps to control the mind easily. When the mind is absorbed in melodious sound, it does not run after sensual objects.
  2. Do Japa or Soham with breath (Ajapa Japa). Practise Pranayama for one or two months. You will hear the ten sounds (Anahata sounds) clearly and enjoy the music of the soul.
  3. The sound that you hear will make you deaf to all external sounds.
  4. Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana or Sukhasana. Close the ears with the thumb. This is Shanmukhi Mudra or Vaishnavi Mudra.
  5. Now hear the music of Anahata sounds. You will have wonderful concentration.
  6. Abandon all worldly thoughts. Subdue your passion. Become indifferent to all sensual objects.
  7. Practise Yama (self-restraint), or Sadachara (right conduct); concentrate on the sound which annihilates the mind.
  8. The first sound is chini, the second is chin-chini, the third is the sound of a bell, the fourth is like that of a conch.
  9. The fifth is like that of a lute. The sixth is like that of a cymbal. The seventh is like that of a flute.
  10. The eighth is like that of a drum. The ninth is like that of a Mridanga. The tenth is like that of thunder.
  11. Hear the sounds through the right ear. Change your concentration from the gross sound to the subtle. The mind will soon be absorbed in the sound.
  12. You will get knowledge of hidden things when you hear the seventh.
  13. You will hear Para-Vak when you hear the eighth sound.
  14. You will develop the divine eye when you hear the ninth.
  15. You will attain Para Brahman when you hear the tenth.
  16. The sound entraps the mind. The mind becomes one with the sound as milk with water.
  17. It becomes absorbed in Brahman or the Absolute. You will then attain the Seat of Eternal Bliss.

Peace.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Close the ears with the thumb. This is Shanmukhi Mudra or Vaishnavi Mudra.
Shanmukhi Mudra seals the ears, eyes, nose and lips with the fingers, but physical closure of the nine portals of the body in and of itself is insufficient for a person to hear the Nada. Referring once again to the above translation of the Hatha Yoga Padipika:

"[4-68]Close ears, nose, mouth, and eyes, then you will distinctly hear a clear sound in the sushumna, which has been purified by pranayama.

The reader will perhaps feel impelled to make an experiment and to listen inwardly. Futile effort! He will hear nothing like this 'sound.' Why?

Would the yogi be compelled to go through three stages of hard practice if he only needs to close up his ears in order to perceive the inner sound? Are our nadis pure, is the flame, the source of higher life, ablaze? Is the symbol of the divine rooted in our being? Do we fulfill even the minimal requisites of deep religious devotion? Answer these questions before trying to listen to that which has from time immemorial been the mystic's most profound experience of God."

I have seen various references in the literature as to how to prepare for practice, where and when to practice, preferred asana, mudra and bandhas. and recommendations on which sounds to follow. The only consistent recommendation is to strive to listen to the Nada at all times. In certain traditions this is a secret practice (Shiva Samihita [5-26] "This should be kept secret; it at once produces conviction; it gives nirvan to mankind."). As listening to the Nada is a very personal practice, I suppose the variations are simply what worked best for the person writing.

Last edited by all_is_coming : 10-09-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Vibration & Light
Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
Thankyou for sharing.
Your last line interests me. It kind of shows me how many attune to the nature of god, spirit, inner sound current, but find it difficult to bridge it through them, as that into the world.

In the practice of humility, gratefulness and respect that it moves you to be, is that difficult or easy for you to be this way in the world as that? Ultimately ‘becoming’ the practice as you reflects as you are?

What does the world reflect back to you, when your attention moves beyond your practice?
Yes, it is extremely difficult for me to hold onto the feeling of peace I experience listening to the Sound in a world that reflects back all of my fears and concerns. Like a mirror the closer I get to the Light, the clearer my shortcomings are to me. It truly is a lifelong practice.

Last edited by all_is_coming : 10-09-2019 at 02:01 AM.