Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Experiencer

My summarized view of a depressed life

I think people need their good moods/feelings (their feel-good chemical/neurotransmitter induced states of well being) to allow them to perceive (see) the good value, joy, beauty, happiness, love, and worth in their lives. I don't think our way of thinking, our outlooks, actions, and our value judgments alone allow us to truly see these qualities. I don't think we can experience any of these qualities without our good moods/feelings. I would like to add one last thing here. That is, this view of mine has been an issue for me and I wish to talk it out if you don't mind.

Last edited by MattMVS7 : 03-08-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 24-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Master
no its ok we al hav gud moods evn low 1s we do

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 17-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Master
Have you tried journaling (which is a way of talking to and hearing yourself), Matt?

When I was at my most depressed, one of the things I did was to imagine (image-in) there was a second 'me', right next to 'me', who knew everything I had gone through and what I was thinking, feeling, experiencing in the present. Then, as such 'me', I responded to the 'me' that I am, and then, as the 'me' that I am, I received (accepted, felt, and embraced) such response. ... and from there, continued the sharing/conversation.

This is just a variation of the "Empty Chair" technique, often utilized to good result in the filed of Gestalt Therapy:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-empty-chair-1

Entering "empty chair technique gestalt" in Youtube's search box will list a bunch of videos which illustrate the range of ways in which this technique may be used. They involved a therapist (have you considered using one?) who quides the process, but it can be done alone just as well I think by any reasonably savvy person. You could use it to talk to and explore and possibly even help lift yourself out of (your) "depression".
Old 26-01-2018, 01:02 AM
Experiencer
If anything, a depressed life is proof that God is not in control.
Old 26-01-2018, 01:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman
Think about this - at least as a possibility: YOU are an aspect, hence an expression, of what is called "God". YOU are "God's" 'point' or 'lead' man in matters pertaining to YOUR soul, i.e. to YOUR life.

YOU are clearly not doing well in terms of 'directing' YOUR life, in that sense one might say that YOU are not 'in control' of YOUR self.

From Ch.6 of The Bhagavad Gita: "For the sage who seeks the heights of spiritual meditation, practice is the only method, and when he has attained them, he must maintain himself there by continual self-control. ... Let him seek liberation by the help of his Highest Self, and let him never disgrace his own Self. For that Self is his only friend; yet it may also be his enemy. To him who has conquered his lower nature by Its help, the Self is a friend, but to him who has not done so, It is an enemy."

Check out what's at: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/d...depression.htm . You may find helpful suggestions and pointers there.

Wishing you the very best Ahriman. Don't give up 'seeking'.
Old 27-01-2018, 05:29 AM
Knower

Hm. Well I know at least for me, I can still be "happy" and experience moments of joy while depressed. I suspect my perception of those times, as with most depressed people, remain negative, despite having felt good at the time.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
Think about this - at least as a possibility: YOU are an aspect, hence an expression, of what is called "God". YOU are "God's" 'point' or 'lead' man in matters pertaining to YOUR soul, i.e. to YOUR life.

YOU are clearly not doing well in terms of 'directing' YOUR life, in that sense one might say that YOU are not 'in control' of YOUR self.

From Ch.6 of The Bhagavad Gita: "For the sage who seeks the heights of spiritual meditation, practice is the only method, and when he has attained them, he must maintain himself there by continual self-control. ... Let him seek liberation by the help of his Highest Self, and let him never disgrace his own Self. For that Self is his only friend; yet it may also be his enemy. To him who has conquered his lower nature by Its help, the Self is a friend, but to him who has not done so, It is an enemy."

Check out what's at: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/d...depression.htm . You may find helpful suggestions and pointers there.

Wishing you the very best Ahriman. Don't give up 'seeking'.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 31-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Master
As someone who has suffered from depression for 10 years, and has just come to the realizations that will hopefully allow me to kick depressions butt, what davidsun states resonates very much and I find that he does know what he is talking about!

I realised that my mind mostly thinks negatively, I grew up in a very negative environment which taught me a lot of negative ways to perceive myself. I realise that I have the power to change the way I see things, and to take the positive out of situations that would normally cause me to spiral into a deeper depression. I realise the reason this happens and why we feel depressed, is because depression is a feeling that shows something is not right, we are not our feelings, but rather they are a barometer of how our energy is and what we perceive. I feel depression is a symptom of being disconnected from our true selves, of God, or universal flow, whatever you believe in. Situations that I normally am ignorant to, or I used to get the hump with because I hadn't reached a higher state of awareness; now becomes a positive situation and a positive feeling because I make this CHOICE for it to be that way. Before, I didn't recognise my own power, therefore I felt a victim to my life, and its this type of thinking, among many other negative ways, that cause us to feel bad feelings, which over time causes depression. Now I do good things for myself, I train my brain to be positive and I look after myself. I feel more in control of myself now than ever, my moods improve although I am aware that there are still aspects of me that need healing, as there are times when I mess up and feel bad., no-one is perfect.

An example of this that I realised last night. I got annoyed because I noticed my partner had thrown away my piece of Sage when I wanted to do a moon ritual. I had seen it kicking around, but as he took it out the bag to use it, I assumed he would put it back so I left it there. When I found out last night I felt upset and told him I was annoyed and to please leave me alone until I calm down. He didn't take this well and said a lot of things that upset me. I cried for a few minutes then stopped. Usually I would cry for hours, be a complete mess, and be affected for days after. Now, through hard work, I am able to control myself much more and realise the truth in a situation instead of the narrow view of my own perception. I realised through reflecting, that if I really cared about the sage I would have put it away when I saw it, and really it is not a big deal, I can imagine I am using sage and I imagine angels, guides etc will help anyway along with my own intentions. So really there was no need for me to get the hump or to say anything to my partner when he was having a bad day. Taking ownership of ourselves and our own energy, I believe, is the best thing someone can do who is suferring from depression! We have the power to change!

I've heard God's guidance inside me for years, telling me to not be so harsh, or quick to judge a situation, or to get upset, or that the other person hasn't actually done what I perceive they have, or that I should say sorry etc and I've ignored it and been stubborn, I've let my brain tell me a negative narrative that everyone in my life will only hurt me, that I'm not good enough to deserve loving relationships etc and that caused me to be disconnected and suffer from not having authentic relationships, with God, with myself and with others. Its actions like this that I believe cause depression, at least for myself, because it is misdirected energy, and we all came here to be masters of our life and our energies hence why we have free will. Up until this point I wouldn't have seen things in the past that way, because I wasn't ready, so we must walk our own paths. I do believe we all have the power in the NOW to decide who we want to be and how we want to feel as a result of that. Wishing you all the best and I trust that you will find peace in your heart!
Old 31-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman
You really have no idea what you're talking about.
Correction: I (always! ) do have an idea of what I am talking about. The only thing I can (ideationally) do is share whatever it is that I and thinking and feeling in response to whatever it is that I am seeing (experiencing) and imagining in relation thereto.

I hear that you experience what I said as having no 'real' relationship to you or what you are experiencing. What I understood or imagined to be the case has been revised (re-envisioned) therefore.

Sorry to be of no 'real use to you.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:44 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
By what logic do you conclude that?