Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 26-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Master

Now is the Time to Start Thinking About New Year's Resolution

How many times have I started out with good intentions for a New Year's resolution? A week later all my ambition is gone and I feel like a failure. I've learned change takes planning to succeed. Being mindful of change and taking care of myself in the process is a way of caring for myself and allowing myself to be human.

To have any true motivation to change, the first thing I need is to find my current state unacceptable. "I don't like this me." Then make a list of what I would like to change.

Start thinking now of changes I want to make rather than Dec 31st. When I commit to a healthier lifestyle, I am committing to myself. And that's not something I can do the day before my new lifestyle change begins.

After that there are situations to consider. Motivational questions to ask myself in advance.

What happens when I'm having a hard time adjusting to a new lifestyle?
What happens when intense cravings seem to rule my life?
What happens when I am out with friends?
What happens when I am traveling or my routine has been disrupted?
What happens when I don't want to get up in the morning to hit the gym, put on my running shoes and start my run or get on my exercise machine?
What happens when I get bored of the same meals over and over?
What happens when I relapse?
What happens when I don't see the weight loss that I expected?
What happens when I don't see the results that I had hoped for?

I've learned that number one you need a coach. A partner. Someone who is on the same journey for change that you are on. There are plenty of apps and websites to can hook up with others, or if that's a bit weird, a friend or co-worker who is wanting to make the same changes. Make that connection now! Go over the questions above and come up with a plan that will work for you.

Without a team, life coach or friend, when I feel discouraged, I can reason, "Who will know I even tried?" So it's easy to sweep life change attempts secretly under the carpet.

Dedicate a calendar or a diary to your life change. Again, plenty of apps out there for that. Or if you are old fashioned the nearest department store will carry a nice pretty note pad with bookmark and all for your purpose for a few bucks.

Pat yourself on your back regularly. Every time you are proud of your accomplishment(s) write it down on a sticky note and stick it to your bathroom mirror, headboard, refrigerator or wherever you will see it often. To make sure you write it down; keep pad and pen within easy reach so it's easy to jot down a note when fresh in your mind and stick it on. Imagine that space full of sticky notes way before it is. It's motivational!

Number three, and this is a big one, take baby steps. One thing at a time. Your goal may be to exercise, diet and take a self-help class but only start with one.

Taking on to much to soon is where many people abandon their goals; they try to do to much all at once. "I'm going to hit the gym 6 days a week, follow a new diet, and be in bed by 10 pm." Bam! Bam! Bam!

Under the best of circumstance after a few days you feel tired, demoralized and defeated. "My body hurts from exercise." It's cold outside." It's still dark outside. "I'm hungry." "I'm ready to quit."

Had they taken one tiny step to begin, the momentum would have carried them towards the dramatic turnaround they longed for. One small step today could be the biggest payoff in your life change journey. So choose 2 days a week at the gym to start. Or cut down on junk food but not go hog-wild on a carrot and lettuce diet. You can add more changes as time passes and your successes stack up. You and your team will discuss this as you progress.

Lastly, when you slip up (and we all do) be honest. Admit it and tell yourself and your team, "Tomorrow is a new day and I will do better."

Commit to 6 months. If you don't feel better by then maybe this new lifestyle is not for you. Try something else to make you happier with yourself.