Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 17-03-2014, 03:28 AM
Guide

fasting for spirituality

I've heard from some that fasting is great and can lead to greater self understanding. However, I have also heard it can be bad for you and serves little good for the body...

Does anybody have experience with fasting? Does it actually work? And if I were to fast, what would be the best method (1 day,2 day, etc...)?
Old 17-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Lorelyen

It depends what you're fasting for. To detoxify your body (and heaven help us, we are bombarded with chemicals in food that should never be in our body) you have to provide your body with at least the nutrients it needs to repair and maintain itself, so be careful with prolonged fasting.

Cutting back your diet to the bare minimum will improve meditation and contemplation and your contact with the spiritual world but if you should find yourself run down or falling ill easily, re-assess what your diet should be.

Fasting does lead to visions and revelations but it's always a question of balance.
Old 17-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Guide

Hey Lorelyen,
I'm going to definitely be more mindful about the food I put into my body (I already know that I eat too much, and I need to learn how to eat much less anyway). I also think i'll cut back on my coffee consumption. I've read that coffee can be very good for the body, but sometimes I wonder how accurate those studies are...
I have also heard that there are benefits when we fast one day a week. That is, not eating anything for one day each week.
Old 18-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Master
A quick explanation as my mum used to fast . Firstly the mind needs to allow the process to happen as in it feels natural not to eat . It's not a fad to be taken lightly . At a point one has no choice other than to fast . The mind or the heart or the soul of the individual is not needing the physical nourishment because there are other energies at play that keep one sustained .

At another point the mind pays attention back to the physical so that the physical aspects don't waste away .

Fasting is not a permanent fixture it is an experience that reflects one's diminishing identity .

x daz x
Old 18-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Knower
To fast or not to fast

Thanks God-Like, it's very nice hint how experienced can fall and return from fast gracefully.

I would suggest, spiritual experience is related to longer fast only and it could be said it's rather temporary (and alternatively deadly without proper guidance or condition. )

After years (when body balanced by raw food already), I feel occasional fasting as remedy for some food mistake only. However, to learn how much eat, when eat and what eat is very long way. So personally, a couple of fasting experiments on the beginning helped me to refine my taste and to decide some (not only) food related things quicker than without this experience. What helped awakening consequently so.
Old 18-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Guide

Thanks for the advice God-Like. I'm going to start off slowly but eating a trying to eat less food and eating healthier. Over time as I get a good feel i'll try some sustained fasting. I don't think i'm going to cut out food altogether though at all. I might try an aloe fast, and only eat smalls amounts of fruits and vegetables for a little while. I'll continue to do my research and choose a method I feel can fit my lifestyle.

MuadDib, I've heard from many people that by eating simply raw foods I will automatically start feeling more spiritual.
Old 19-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuadDib
Thanks God-Like, it's very nice hint how experienced can fall and return from fast gracefully.

I would suggest, spiritual experience is related to longer fast only and it could be said it's rather temporary (and alternatively deadly without proper guidance or condition. )

After years (when body balanced by raw food already), I feel occasional fasting as remedy for some food mistake only. However, to learn how much eat, when eat and what eat is very long way. So personally, a couple of fasting experiments on the beginning helped me to refine my taste and to decide some (not only) food related things quicker than without this experience. What helped awakening consequently so.

Hi MaudDib,

I think the raw food aspect or a healthy way of eating is all ready in the mix for the one that is naturally drawn into fasting . I remember watching a t.v. programme about a man who practised spirituality (said lightly) who sat on top of a mountain and fasted for 40 days .

When he came down and was interviewed he said he was looking forward to some fried chicken or something like that . Perhaps the thought of the chicken kept him going hahaha .... but food is not on the mind of the one that fasts ...

You don't get many if hardly any individuals that are subjecting themselves to a processed food diet to then dive into fasting .

Fasting reflects purity of the self that integrates the physical aspects to a degree where it becomes almost non existent .

x daz x
Old 19-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle45
Thanks for the advice God-Like. I'm going to start off slowly but eating a trying to eat less food and eating healthier. Over time as I get a good feel i'll try some sustained fasting. I don't think i'm going to cut out food altogether though at all. I might try an aloe fast, and only eat smalls amounts of fruits and vegetables for a little while. I'll continue to do my research and choose a method I feel can fit my lifestyle.

MuadDib, I've heard from many people that by eating simply raw foods I will automatically start feeling more spiritual.

Hi P diddy

Sounds like a good plan to eat healthier, but some say eating more healthy food actually is better for you .

I eat a caveman diet myself, its like I don't have a choice, the fact that your even entertaining the idea perhaps reflects that at a point you don't either ..

Something is arising is it not ..

x daz x
Old 19-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Knower
I'll see fasting (as any other life-edge experiences) should be mediated rather face to face only as personal guidance is essential. I guess it goes hand in hand to be cleaned spiritually at some level (maybe age over 35 or so), and more it requires to be fast metabolic type (it seems God-Like is right on the opposite side with caveman diet).

In general, even thought one-time fast or raw-food experience could be beneficial to learn about food alternatives, your pleasure from such steps is crucial. And it's good to know, you can't step in the same river twice, just second experience could be boring or terrible. That's reason why I'm far away from any particular diet suggestion, despite I have taken benefits of it. And yes full-raw isn't my preferred way today, indeed.
Old 19-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Suspended
I struggle to understand fasting if I'm honest. I can understand eating organic, going vegetarian or eating less food of better quality but fasting always seems a bit unnatural to me. There's no harm in being a bit hungry sometimes, but your body needs a complete nutritional spectrum to stay healthy.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'fast' - what do you eat when you fast? Nothing? Just water? Just plain food or what? I think if you're uncomfortably hungry you should eat something healthy, not deny your body what its asking for :)