Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 25-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
i figure it would be attachment to an unrealized desire that would cause the pain.

Buddha was quite clear that even realized attachements are a cause for suffering. Except for the desire to reach nirvana. Once that is realized you're good.

Reason being that every phenomenon is transient, so once attained or realized it's leaving or vanishing is allready a certainty.

With Love
Eelco
Old 25-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
Buddha was quite clear that even realized attachements are a cause for suffering. Except for the desire to reach nirvana. Once that is realized you're good.

Reason being that every phenomenon is transient, so once attained or realized it's leaving or vanishing is allready a certainty.

With Love
Eelco

That all makes sense to me. I think nirvana is emptiness so I was thinking. yes if one realizes or embodies emptiness, there is no self there as far as thought. Consciousness and awareness is there though. But no ego type stuff. So that realization leaves no residue. It does not create desire or anything really. It just is. So no suffering can come from that if present. I suppose it may pass and so perhaps thought or ego can come in and seek it creating conflict or suffering but then nirvana, if one knows where it hides, creates no conflict in it's pursuit since the known method of residing there is letting go of seeking.
Old 25-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Knower

I agree with you sky123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Desires are like wishes but attachment to the desires are when your wishes don't come true and cause you suffering/unsatisfaction.

We all have desires it's a normal part of life, desire motivates people, but there are positive/negative desires also. Unrealistic desires cause misery/suffering and more. I think and have found that if my desires/wishes don't become fulfilled then it's best to accept this and move on without attachment. Clinging to the ' why not ' causes more suffering.
i know clinging to desire which was not fulfilled is painful.but some times clinging is not in controll.some times no desire but illusion also worry people
Old 25-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
That all makes sense to me. I think nirvana is emptiness so I was thinking. yes if one realizes or embodies emptiness, there is no self there as far as thought. Consciousness and awareness is there though. But no ego type stuff. So that realization leaves no residue. It does not create desire or anything really. It just is. So no suffering can come from that if present. I suppose it may pass and so perhaps thought or ego can come in and seek it creating conflict or suffering but then nirvana, if one knows where it hides, creates no conflict in it's pursuit since the known method of residing there is letting go of seeking.

' Consciousness and awareness is there though. But no ego type stuff.'

I think of this as ' Awareness without consciousness ' a state of pure awareness, been there many times but unfortunately it doesn't last
Old 25-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijhumal
i know clinging to desire which was not fulfilled is painful.but some times clinging is not in controll.some times no desire but illusion also worry people

Yes it's difficult to let go sometimes but it is possible and we can but try
Old 25-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
I think in Buddhism suffering is wanting or expecting things to be different than they are. It seems to be similar to some Christianity teachings, to let go and surrender to God's will, accept things as they are or in Buddhism, let go of self or thoughts about what now should be. Accept it in silence and emptiness. Just be present in each moment without desire or effort or conflict.

Inner and outer peace is the goal of many religions.

Thanks for sharing this. It really resonates with me.

I was reading some quotes by Zen teacher Charlotte Joko Beck yesterday and she said the same thing - suffering comes from not accepting what is and demanding it be different. I had heard that before but I didn't realize how much it applies to ME. So I take your post as a confirmation message.
Old 25-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Experiencer

Maybe the only way to overcome desire and attachment is by replacing them with LOVE.

Desires seem to constantly arise, but if we could deliberately take a perspective of choosing love (including self-love), in each moment, it could be a great healing.

In other words, in the present moment, when desire arises, we could choose to love, in whatever form love may take, instead of seeking pleasure or fulfilling attachment.
Old 25-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Maybe the only way to overcome desire and attachment is by replacing them with LOVE.

Desires seem to constantly arise, but if we could deliberately take a perspective of choosing love (including self-love), in each moment, it could be a great healing.

In other words, in the present moment, when desire arises, we could choose to love, in whatever form love may take, instead of seeking pleasure or fulfilling attachment.

Isn't selfless desires love?
Old 25-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Master
Tanha-Desires/Cravings.

http://www.eastern-spirituality.com/...initions/tanha
Old 25-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' Consciousness and awareness is there though. But no ego type stuff.'

I think of this as ' Awareness without consciousness ' a state of pure awareness, been there many times but unfortunately it doesn't last

Some plays on words based on your post comes to my mind...

Are you sure you were there when pure awareness was present?

If it is present, are you?

Maybe you have never been there, but the absence of "you" manifests the experience of it.

How do we know we are not always there?

How do we know it doesn't last?

If we are awareness, then we are there always if we are awake. But then why do we not experience it always? Why are we aware of other realities. Why does awareness focus on thought, beliefs, ideas and not the emptiness and peace and mystery of now? Why is reality contracting instead of expanding? I would guess it's because awareness is preoccupied with the things in the ball that make up the self. When awareness takes it's attention off of these things they cease to be a part of experience and so experience changes. One finds themselves there. But then we are always there just choosing to make here about self and not about what it is. We make it about the self and not about what it is without self.