Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 24-08-2014, 05:57 PM
nhrob

Are we afraid of the dark or too much in love with the light??

What has the dark ever done for us(sorry I could not resist it)and what has the light ever provided for us. What is the difference between the two and why do we hold one in such high esteem. The light that we see around us is no doubt a great place for us to grow it make us aware of ourselves and each other, giving us confidence to share that which we hold dear our love. But what of the dark how can something that is just the opposite be so confusing so feared to the point of total rejection. We should know that we need it as it make are lives brighter for it gives us a perspective from which to view ourselves here right now. Light and dark cannot be separated for if we chose just to accept the light of that of which we are part of and push away the dark we must in turn push a part of ourselves in one direction away from the balance. We have freedom to chose and roam in whatever direction we chose and believe in whatever we chose but please do not forget the dark.
Old 24-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Experiencer
Darkness and Light...in union!
Remindes me of the story of Photogen and Nycteris.
Old 24-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Lorelyen

We tend to rely on our sight so much to know what's going on. Sounds and unusual sense stimuli in the dark can be unknowns that cause alarm because we don't know what next. On unfamiliar ground you don't even know where you're treading; what might strike you or touch you.

Of course, people totally blind have a different perspective but for people used to having light, it's the unknowns that they fear.

Old 24-08-2014, 08:07 PM
nhrob

I agree Lorelyen the more we move away from our feelings the more we will rely on are sight, are feelings are our sight within the dark.If we cannot learn to trust and believe in what’s around us we will struggle with what’s inside of us for the light and dark is also within us.
Old 24-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Administrator
As children we are conditioned to sleep at night and be out in the light, we were told that as were our parents before us,i for one have never been afraid of the dark.i used to walk through cemeteries late at night as a short cut home I never feared it.but others do. as I was born seeing and hearing spirit,it never bothered me like it does others.you use your senses more in the dark.you listen more etc,
have you ever tried standing in your house in the dark no lights on you will find that you feel more and hear more your other senses become more prominent.

Namaste
Old 24-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Master
nhrob, just wondering about your OP: is it physical darkness (versus light) that you're posting about, or spiritual darkness and light?

On a side note... About a week ago I was in a cave system with another guy who is very experienced in this cave. It has one entrance from outside, but inside there are various branchings and tunnels - some large in cross-section, some quite small (where you might or might not be able to squeeze through, crawling on your stomach). We got to a certain place, generally being able to walk and climb to arrive there, and the guy who was showing me around suggested we turn off our lights, which we did. It was total darkness there, and apparently people have come in there with extremely sensitive light-sensing instruments and no light can be detected at all. Definitely an interesting place. There'd been no signs of wild animals in the cave system, so we felt safe. Not scary.
Old 25-08-2014, 03:06 AM
TaoSandwich

Personally, I like to think of darkness as starting again anew, the unblemished, prepared soil that the tree will grow upon and light as the tree. Darkness tends to be associated with things that are unformed, uncertain, destruction (if there are weeds growing in a field, they must be plucked before trees are planted), contemplation/meditation and that which is hidden (like seeds in the ground). Light, on the other hand is order, spiritual illumination, creation, knowledge, action and that which is visible/comprehensible.

Using these definitions (and remember, different people use the same words to mean different things... I just find this definition less confusing and helpful at distinguishing good+evil from simple forces of nature, but more on that later) both light and darkness are necessary for a person, a society or a spiritual community to flourish. Yes, we fear the darkness, because that which is hidden requires us to let go, have faith, perhaps tear down thoughts or structures that we were comfortable with and begin again anew, whereas light is more certain and clear. However, by this definition, both are necessary. Without light, darkness is stagnant. without darkness, light is misguided and pathologic.

I hold in a separate category, the question of "good vs evil". Where one can define good as "promoting light where light is needed and darkness where darkness is needed" and evil as "promoting darkness where light is needed" and vice versa. In that sense, it is not necessarily true that "in order for good to exist, evil must exist as well", since good is simply the natural and the evil is simply "that which isn't in accord with nature". Just like the universe tends towards entropy and isn't NECESSARILY some cosmic struggle between entropy and anti-entropy, so can good exist without an equal proportion of evil.

I'll conclude with a final analogy: If one uses the darkness to rest and the light to act, this is good. If one uses the darkness to act and the light to rest, this is disordered.

Best Wishes,
-TaoSandwich
Old 25-08-2014, 04:45 AM
silent whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrob
What has the dark ever done for us(sorry I could not resist it)and what has the light ever provided for us. What is the difference between the two and why do we hold one in such high esteem. The light that we see around us is no doubt a great place for us to grow it make us aware of ourselves and each other, giving us confidence to share that which we hold dear our love. But what of the dark how can something that is just the opposite be so confusing so feared to the point of total rejection. We should know that we need it as it make are lives brighter for it gives us a perspective from which to view ourselves here right now. Light and dark cannot be separated for if we chose just to accept the light of that of which we are part of and push away the dark we must in turn push a part of ourselves in one direction away from the balance. We have freedom to chose and roam in whatever direction we chose and believe in whatever we chose but please do not forget the dark.

I am more curious why you see it this way.

Obviously from your view your seeing the imbalance..but if you look closer there is no separation even if you perceive it as such....so the fear is just fear in my view. The darkness and light is just your idea of experiences, placed over what people feel and deal with.

Light and dark cannot be separated...I thought I read you saying that.
Old 25-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Master
The light and the dark, or STO and STS are simply two different path we can choose. And both lead to the same, or same level of development.
This planet is destined to follow the light, and with this following the light is the easier path, not the better one. There is no better one anyway.
What ever path we choose, at some point we need to, not just understand but fully embrace the opposite path in order to progress. But for the majority that lays far away. Nothing they have to worry about at present.
For all on this planet, following the path of the light or STO is the logical choice.
Old 25-08-2014, 07:04 PM
each1teach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah nam
The light and the dark, or STO and STS are simply two different path we can choose. And both lead to the same, or same level of development.
This planet is destined to follow the light, and with this following the light is the easier path, not the better one. There is no better one anyway.
What ever path we choose, at some point we need to, not just understand but fully embrace the opposite path in order to progress. But for the majority that lays far away. Nothing they have to worry about at present.
For all on this planet, following the path of the light or STO is the logical choice.

I'm interested in how you come to the conclusion that walking in the light is the easier path. I see walking in the light as having greater responsibilities for your fellow man, whereas walking in the darkness is blissful ignorance.
It's far easier for a leader to dictate in his own darkness, then to put in the work as a responsible leader that creates a truly free society of educated prospering people.