Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Master
Interesting Articles About Humans As Plantlife Eaters

here is a site with a list of articles about humans and their eating habits, history, physiology and such. thanks for looking

http://www.veganvillage.org/Articles...-Category.html
Old 10-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Master
This entire website is complete nonsense and amounts disinformation.

Human beings are omnivores and have been from the time our species crawled from the primordial ooze.

We are a hunting species and evolved as the big brained "thinking hunter"

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 02-01-2020, 05:30 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
This entire website is complete nonsense and amounts disinformation.

Human beings are omnivores and have been from the time our species crawled from the primordial ooze.

We are a hunting species and evolved as the big brained "thinking hunter"

The main problem as I see it is that the site is a bit dated looking and the first author was long before our time (as he died in 1985). Although interestingly enough, he talks about how people who eat meat are more likely to come down with cancer than a vegetarian, which actually mirrors current research. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3048091/

It seems to me that if all the 'items' are the same as the first which I did a quick survey of, it sounds like it's pretty accurate and mirrors the current information that Dr. Sofia Ochoa recounts in her video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NsMiOMmCY

I also did a quick read through of the second essay by Mark Blackburn and the information presented there is likewise pretty much consistent with current understandings when it comes to the effect of plants vs. animal products, on human health and what various species eat. Like our closest living relatives, the apes who are as a rule, primarily plant eaters.

One thing that I found interesting is that the first guy, Dr. Shelton mentioned that the early Eqyptians were mostly vegetarian. I'd never heard that before so I checked and sure enough, other sources support that statement.

I think the link has some interesting jumping off points for research if one was inclined to pursuing understanding.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)
Old 05-01-2020, 03:39 PM
Master
In the distant past, is does make sense that we at a lot of plants. It was the easiest food source for our kind who lived in tropical climates. BUT! Our DNA is not all tropical. Humans of the distant past were opportunist. Over time and natural selection we became what we are now. You have to think of a time with absolutely no technology. Where red meat and fish had the most protein over any plant. Protein builds muscle and feeds the brain. When past humans ate more protein they become stronger and smarter than there mostly vegetarian counterparts. Witch gave Homo sapiens that edge. With that fattier Richer food source we able reproduce more efficiently in turn adapt faster. If you really think about it, carnivorous animals are more intelligent and more social oriented then most grazing animals. How many people have a pet horse or cow that sits, shakes,and rolls over on command? Not many.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Master
Yes, it's far easier in the wilds to get nutrition through hunting than just eating berries and mushrooms. We develop strategies, and have eyes facing forwards. Being vegan in the wild is a death sentence. Makes no difference if you're in a tropical jungle, as existing tribes in the tropics show. Maybe these vegan ''experts'' can have a chat with the tribes, show them what to eat and how to utilize the jungle.

As for civilization, there have been no vegan societies, only poor people who were close to a vegan diet. Debrah brings up the Egyptians, but many Egyptians were poor and enslaved and lived on a lot of bread. This is not a good argument in favour of a diet free of all animal food at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
If you really think about it, carnivorous animals are more intelligent and more social oriented then most grazing animals. How many people have a pet horse or cow that sits, shakes,and rolls over on command? Not many.

Elephants are a great exception to that rule. ((big apes eat eggs and insects)).

Last edited by Altair : 05-01-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Yes, it's far easier in the wilds to get nutrition through hunting than just eating berries and mushrooms. We develop strategies, and have eyes facing forwards. Being vegan in the wild is a death sentence. Makes no difference if you're in a tropical jungle, as existing tribes in the tropics show. Maybe these vegan ''experts'' can have a chat with the tribes, show them what to eat and how to utilize the jungle. :wink
As for civilization, there have been no vegan societies, only poor people who were close to a vegan diet. Debrah brings up the Egyptians, but many Egyptians were poor and enslaved and lived on a lot of bread. This is not a good argument in favour of a diet free of all animal food at all.

Elephants are a great exception to that rule. ((big apes eat eggs and insects)).
. It's actually harder getting nutrition through hunting vs. plants. Being the hunter can be a death sentence as well. " No one gets out of life alive" That's why predators have a higher IQ. Predators need to strategize there hunts. You just don't go an kill an animal thought hunting. But anyway people are Hunter/gathers. We're designed to move, as we travel we hunt or gather anything we can get. Plants being the easiest because they don't put up a fight or move. The extra protein in meat aids our development. As humans developed as a race seems like a lot of people forget we couldn't go to the grocery store an pick up protein shakes and the supplements needed to live a vegan lifestyle. If a person doesn't want to eat animal products for any of the many reasons that's fine. Nothing wrong with simply saying I don't want to eat animal based foods. Trying to justify it other than just that is kind of silly.
Elephants are the exception. I always assumed the larger the mammal the longer it's pregnant. The elephant is the exception there too. The blue whale witch is the largest mammal and gives birth to the largest babies is pregnant for about 12 mo. The elephant is pregnant for about 22 mo. I read that extra time in the wound is for brain development. It's crazy! Nature is a crazy place.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Master
I'll have to correct you on plants not putting up a fight. Plants have been in an evolutionary battle with herbivores for hundreds of millions of years. Many plants are toxic, animals evolved to tolerate specific plants. Carnivores and herbivores have also evolved predator-prey relations, through natural selection, for instance cheetah and gazelle both evolving speed to outdo the other.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Master
Quote:
I'll have to correct you on plants not putting up a fight. Plants have been in an evolutionary battle with herbivores for hundreds of millions of years. Many plants are toxic, animals evolved to tolerate specific plants. Carnivores and herbivores have also evolved predator-prey relations, through natural selection, for instance cheetah and gazelle both evolving speed to outdo the other.
hahaha! You're absolutely right. I am big into desert cacti and they are masters at self defense. Natural selection is a great topic. Even us humans are still going through it in a few ways even ways that might not be good for us.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:51 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Yes, it's far easier in the wilds to get nutrition through hunting than just eating berries and mushrooms. We develop strategies, and have eyes facing forwards. Being vegan in the wild is a death sentence. Makes no difference if you're in a tropical jungle, as existing tribes in the tropics show. Maybe these vegan ''experts'' can have a chat with the tribes, show them what to eat and how to utilize the jungle.

Elephants are a great exception to what rule? The rule that only carnivores are smart? I think the problem here is that you are very unfamiliar with animals in general. If tricks are your measure of 'smart', all kinds of prey animals are fully capable of learning tricks. They also have wonderful friendships with people they love and I could give you a bunch of links proving that one too. A video of a chicken that loves the little boy that she runs to get a hug from, or the goose that sees his favourite person coming out to the barn and can't run fast enough to throw his wings around her as they hug and the goose is honking and tooting with excitement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egCEf4ruyDI

You've just given me a new type of video to start saving, animals who LOVE their people or even other species.

And while you're seeking to dismiss the fact of ancient Egyptians being vegetarians/vegans, by suggesting that poverty caused it......'Other notable vegan-leaning leaders include the Egyptian Pharaoh Akhenaten who banned animal sacrifice because he thought it was sinful to take away any given life by the Aten god....'https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/who-were-the-world-s-very-earliest-vegans-a7668831.html

That article talks about a bunch of other early vegetarian/vegan cultures, including Jain's, Buddhists, Taoists, Chinese Buddhists, an early Japanese Emperor who apparently banned the use of livestock and the early Greeks like Pythagorus who believed that animals have souls (which I completely agree with).

And by the way, gorillas don't eat eggs, they're primarily vegetarians although they will eat bugs occasionally.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
Old 20-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
....... Protein builds muscle and feeds the brain. When past humans ate more protein they become stronger and smarter than there mostly vegetarian counterparts. .........

Your brain runs on glucose.

'...In a new study published in The Quarterly Review of Biology, scientists argue that carbohydrate consumption - particularly starch - has been instrumental in the evolution and expansion of the human brain over the past million years.

According to Harvard's School Of Public Health, the healthiest sources of carbohydrates are unprocessed or minimally processed whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans.....
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...a&guccounter=1. (links to the study is in the post)

Or....

'....Neurons, which use twice the energy as any other cell type in the body, run almost exclusively on glucose. They don't run on protein and fat.* Moreover, because neurons aren't able to store glucose as glycogen as other cells in the body do, they must receive glucose in constant supply...That's glucose in amounts that could not possibly be supplied by any abundance of meat eating....

.....Peter Ungar, distinguished professor and chair of anthropology at University of Arkansas, who was recently named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, what his take was on the role of meat eating versus carbs in human brain evolution. He wrote back, "Even the staunchest meat advocates recognize that protein and fat cannot power the brain – and we lose much of our gluconeogenesis capabilities at weaning. The argument is that meat eating provided the calories needed to power other parts of the body, freeing available carbohydrates to focus on the brain… Even in that case, it’s carbs, not meat that powers the brain......'
http://evolvinghealthscience.blogspo...at-eating.html