Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 16-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Raven Poet

Exclamation Experiencing workplace racism and staying spiritually strong

Hi. I searched the forum for "racism" and was not able to find threads that carried some medicine for my very weary and sad heart right now. So i decided to post this thread and ask my SF relations for kind medicine words:

How do I withstand racism in the workplace and still manage to hang onto my spiritual strength to do the work that needs to be done, until I can find another job?

I am very tired right now. I want to run, I want to hide. My own past shame from racism has been activated ... there are other deeply buried roots that I haven't unearthed yet and are now at the surface and bleeding my soul energy from me, thus leading to "battle fatigue" I'd guess you can call it.

Is anyone in the place to share some guidance or suggestions for staying spiritually strong and connected amidst a toxic work environment that perpetuates racism?

And it's not the blatant racism we've read of from the Trail of Tears or the Civil Rights movement, for example, in humanity's history. There are no public lynching of humans or mass graves holding bodies of numerous victims here.

This racism is much more insidious; sly and covert. There is really nothing I can take to a human rights or labour union. But I've noticed it lately after a recent change in leadership, and it's getting more pronounced, for those of us who know what it is we experience: the differential treatment between me and my professional counterparts; the micromanaging of the "Indians" in the organization by the management (myself included); the fact that out of approx 1,500 professionals in this organization, 3 of them are self-identified as Aboriginal; the humiliating stereotypes both positive and negative that come up in "light" conversation; the non-Indigenous people telling us about our culture, traditions, and history and not asking us for input or clarification; the gross under-valuing of Indigenous ways of knowing/education while protecting and elevating the Euro-canadian ways of knowing ... and now, the straw that broke the buffalo's back: the names of local Indigenous leaders that just got cut from the "special invite" list for an upcoming ceremonial gathering.

It's gotten bad, friends. My depression and fibromyalgia (which tend to exist hand-in-hand, like devilishly perky malevolent twins) have flared up. I dread going back to work on Monday. I skulk around hiding my face; my dignity, courage, and resiliency has been worn down. I cry a lot, I rage a lot, I am hyper emotional and overly reactive, I feel voiceless and brutally marginalized. My husband doesn't understand and does what he can but ...

I need to have a job - I want to remain being able to take care of myself with the basics: food, shelter, clothing. I am preparing to obtain another job; I feel quite bad about contemplating leaving this workplace; I hate to think of no longer being here to help the little brown-skinned children who are at the mercies of this racist system ... but I put the hero-cape away as I realize that I won't be any good to anybody if I'm in the hospital or graveyard (from stress-related illness I mean).

In the meantime, until I can find a place where the racism isn't so rampant (I hope!!!), I am reaching out to my online spiritual community for some guidance so I can hang in there and not let the you-know-what's win. (Hope that didn't violate SF rules)

Miigwetch. Ravenpoet
Old 16-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Mr.Whitmore

Do you have the strength to walk up to them...say nothing and release your anger in a non anger stare?

your emotions inside you will either defeat you...or them.........so power up.

Its all in the eyes ok?

Show fear...receive fear.....show compassion..receive compassion....and so on
Old 16-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Raven Poet

Hi, Mr. Whitmore ... my humour-loving friend. Thank you.

I think I have the strength ... it would feel better than skulking. Can you expand a bit more on the stare with a non anger stare? Right now, I am afraid if I stare at them, my fists will shake and a snarl will creep over this gorgeous face of mine ... LOL!

It's gonna take some time to connect to compassion for those who hold up their privilege like some kind of badge of entitled righteousness. Wait - That's my anger ... and hurt ... talking.

I'm gonna go do some releasing now in the medication/meditation chair. I'll check back with you later. Thank you so much ... I'm glad you are on this forum.
Old 17-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator
Ravenpoet....I just hate this ****. I wish I could suggest something to help you, all I can say is in the face of this kind of thing try to keep a sense of humour, (yeah I know -easier said than done) try not to let yourself get bitter because then they have really got you....and realize they are at such a low place in consciousness, they have a lot of climbing to do.
I hope you will find another job in a better environment soon. All my best wishes.
Old 17-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Experiencer
Hi Ravenpoet,

I hear you. I have also experienced sly and covert racism, I can understand what you must be going through.

Hold on the your truth even if you are the only one the truth is still the truth.

See this as a challenge or a test of faith of the spirit. Try to let your words and actions come from within at work.

Sometimes other people or situations bring up the ''bad'' parts in us, the unhealed. It can be painfull and upsetting for these feelings to float up, but it's part of the spiritual journey. It is a reminder that these judgements, past hurt and baggage is still here.

Use this a catalyst to look within. Come in contact with your divine nature and surrender to it.

I read that you are meditating, which is excellent!

Wishing you lot's of courage, strength and wisdom on your path.

May the Great spirit direct and bless you,
Old 17-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Hey Ravenpoet

I hate bullying to do with racism immensly people are arogant of the beliefs of others. the way of life etc,well what i say is its good to be different be proud of yourself and your ancestry dont let anyone put you down,
there should be a policy in your workplace that stops bullying and racism you should speak to someone about it.
i know its not easy to keep to your spiritual path when you are in receipt of racism but be true to yourself, walk in one with nature you will get there.

Namaste
Old 17-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Suspended
Take the risk and leave that work place immediately. Harrasment and Bullying should be avoided at all costs. The worst "What Ifs", if they should happen, would be much better than what you are experienceing if you stay.
Old 18-03-2013, 01:16 AM
keith95843

do not accept thier gift of hate love and light to you
Fight Love Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Poet
Hi. I searched the forum for "racism" and was not able to find threads that carried some medicine for my very weary and sad heart right now. So i decided to post this thread and ask my SF relations for kind medicine words:

How do I withstand racism in the workplace and still manage to hang onto my spiritual strength to do the work that needs to be done, until I can find another job?

I am very tired right now. I want to run, I want to hide. My own past shame from racism has been activated ... there are other deeply buried roots that I haven't unearthed yet and are now at the surface and bleeding my soul energy from me, thus leading to "battle fatigue" I'd guess you can call it.

Is anyone in the place to share some guidance or suggestions for staying spiritually strong and connected amidst a toxic work environment that perpetuates racism?

And it's not the blatant racism we've read of from the Trail of Tears or the Civil Rights movement, for example, in humanity's history. There are no public lynching of humans or mass graves holding bodies of numerous victims here.

This racism is much more insidious; sly and covert. There is really nothing I can take to a human rights or labour union. But I've noticed it lately after a recent change in leadership, and it's getting more pronounced, for those of us who know what it is we experience: the differential treatment between me and my professional counterparts; the micromanaging of the "Indians" in the organization by the management (myself included); the fact that out of approx 1,500 professionals in this organization, 3 of them are self-identified as Aboriginal; the humiliating stereotypes both positive and negative that come up in "light" conversation; the non-Indigenous people telling us about our culture, traditions, and history and not asking us for input or clarification; the gross under-valuing of Indigenous ways of knowing/education while protecting and elevating the Euro-canadian ways of knowing ... and now, the straw that broke the buffalo's back: the names of local Indigenous leaders that just got cut from the "special invite" list for an upcoming ceremonial gathering.

It's gotten bad, friends. My depression and fibromyalgia (which tend to exist hand-in-hand, like devilishly perky malevolent twins) have flared up. I dread going back to work on Monday. I skulk around hiding my face; my dignity, courage, and resiliency has been worn down. I cry a lot, I rage a lot, I am hyper emotional and overly reactive, I feel voiceless and brutally marginalized. My husband doesn't understand and does what he can but ...

I need to have a job - I want to remain being able to take care of myself with the basics: food, shelter, clothing. I am preparing to obtain another job; I feel quite bad about contemplating leaving this workplace; I hate to think of no longer being here to help the little brown-skinned children who are at the mercies of this racist system ... but I put the hero-cape away as I realize that I won't be any good to anybody if I'm in the hospital or graveyard (from stress-related illness I mean).

In the meantime, until I can find a place where the racism isn't so rampant (I hope!!!), I am reaching out to my online spiritual community for some guidance so I can hang in there and not let the you-know-what's win. (Hope that didn't violate SF rules)

Miigwetch. Ravenpoet
Old 19-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Raven Poet

Hi, everyone. I stayed away from SF for a few days just to let this storm pass.

I first say Kitchi Miigwetch - a deep spirit-ful Thank you! - to all of my friends for their kind, empowering words.

Tobi, you know now that I've put some distance between myself and the most recent incident, I am laffing at it. It is kind of funny ... who does my boss think he is, thinking he can tell me my Truth; influence what I believe? Too funny! So you are right - it's hard but it's good medicine - humour! Thank you for your best wishes.

Dreamer Love: Thank you for your wishes of strength and courage. It helps to hear another Spirit walker share their similar experiences.

Native Spirit: Thank you for reminding me to be true to myself; to honour who I am! I am Anishinaabe Ikwe! (hear me roar? LOL!)

To Thunder Bow: I am seriously contemplating finding another workplace; I'm gonna ask a few professional friends and test the waters, see if I can find a workplace where I can focus my energy on the children and not the adults who have not done their healing yet! I wish healing for these adults, but as professionals, I strongly think we have the RESPONSIBILITY to heal our ****, especially if we are employed caring for children!

To Keith95843: Thank you for your wishes of love and light. I do, I refuse to accept their hate (fear).

All your responses have indeed fortified my Spirit. I shall carry on and see what unfolds, holding tight to who I am and the legacies of my Grandmothers, lovely brown skinned women who have also experienced this burden of discrimination ... and remember that although the political is indeed personal, this is bigger than me and not really about me. This refresher will help to keep my focus on the bigger picture.

Take care, everyone!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Knower
i like looking around sites to find stuff to spiritual help people from this, bullying, psychic attacks, racist people, just looked thru you tube videos, thought i give you the link for it, this lady has such a kind healing voice, it does seem to help out--->>> http://youtu.be/laKHW4hKIP0