Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 AM
Master
Sorry I might've posted my other post in the wrong thread as it may've been more fitting in this one. but you will see it either way. I recommend eating as few foods at the same as possible because it's best for digestion and health. but if you want to try different recipes and combinations, just put foods together that you like! Or share some of the foods you like here and I or others can help you come up with recipes from there. If you want to eat cooked food (which I understand though it is really not healthy as alive raw food is) try different cuisines. My favorite food to cook is Mexican or hispanic.. which mostly involves using a combination of the vegetables (or fruits as seed-containing foods technically are) tomato, green bell or other peppers, onion and garlic, and spices like oregano, coriander and cumin if you like. We use chickpeas or garbanzo beans here mostly because they are better for you than most other legumes, but I also love eating pinto beans even if they aren't great for me. I know it might seem surprising what I am telling you isn't that healthy for you but it is the truth unfortunately or not. it is still much much healthier than eating dead animals though. anyway, you can also make pico de gallo and guacamole or use whole avocado in organic tortillas and stuff to make healthier tacos with mostly raw ingredients. I don't recommend pouring tons of salt on, but just keep in mind that some quality salt like himalayan or pure sea salt can be good, and if you are not enjoying the way something tastes a little sprinkling might make it a lot tastier.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphirez
..........If you want to eat cooked food (which I understand though it is really not healthy as alive raw food is) try different cuisines. My favorite food to cook is Mexican or hispanic.. which mostly involves using a combination of the vegetables (or fruits as seed-containing foods technically are) tomato, green bell or other peppers, onion and garlic, and spices like oregano, coriander and cumin if you like. We use chickpeas or garbanzo beans here mostly because they are better for you than most other legumes, but I also love eating pinto beans even if they aren't great for me. I know it might seem surprising what I am telling you isn't that healthy for you but it is the truth unfortunately or not. it is still much much healthier than eating dead animals though. anyway, you can also make pico de gallo and guacamole or use whole avocado in organic tortillas and stuff to make healthier tacos with mostly raw ingredients. I don't recommend pouring tons of salt on, but just keep in mind that some quality salt like himalayan or pure sea salt can be good, and if you are not enjoying the way something tastes a little sprinkling might make it a lot tastier.

Some interesting comments from you Sapphirez. There are a couple veggies that I can think of right off the top that are apparently better for you if they are cooked, tomatoes and yams. And when I did a search, I came up with five more, that are more nutritious if cooked. So yams, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus and spinach. Spinach has oxalic acid when raw and that inhibits absorption of nutrients calcium and iron. Cooking removes that so you get more benefit. Mushrooms cooked, gets you more potassium, heart-healthy niacin, immune-boosting zinc, and bone-strengthening magnesium. It's an interesting read: https://www.consumerreports.org/frui...lthier-cooked/

As for salt, I just did a post here: https://agelessatsixty.com/iodine-de...es-8-symptoms/ where I talked about iodine deficiency. As vegans don't get the benefit of the iodine being used to clean milk parlour equipment and soil is becoming more depleted, it becomes problematic if you only using sea salt or Himilayan salt which have much lower levels. As iodine is crucial to thyroid function it might be a good idea to include a kelp tablet now and again.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah nam
Not sure what you are suggesting, if you want to stay away from meat, the only other alternative you have are plants, besides dairy.
I always found, if I prepare all foods myself, I can buy quality food for less than when I buy "cheap" prepared foods. And I personally don't waist any foods. You mentioned weight, yes you can loose a lot of weight if you use whole foods, instead of processed foods and soft drinks.

Just to be clear, reduction in body weight necessitates being in an overall calorie deficit.

Quote:
Are there any food banks in your area? They might be able to help you out.
I know all supermarkets through a lot of food out, and many help themselves to it, markets now donate those foods to food banks.
Farmers markets are great for fresh foods. We have a Trash and Treasure market where one can buy great stuff including fruit and veggies.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
Some interesting comments from you Sapphirez. There are a couple veggies that I can think of right off the top that are apparently better for you if they are cooked, tomatoes and yams. And when I did a search, I came up with five more, that are more nutritious if cooked. So yams, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus and spinach. Spinach has oxalic acid when raw and that inhibits absorption of nutrients calcium and iron. Cooking removes that so you get more benefit. Mushrooms cooked, gets you more potassium, heart-healthy niacin, immune-boosting zinc, and bone-strengthening magnesium. It's an interesting read: https://www.consumerreports.org/frui...lthier-cooked/

As for salt, I just did a post here: https://agelessatsixty.com/iodine-de...es-8-symptoms/ where I talked about iodine deficiency. As vegans don't get the benefit of the iodine being used to clean milk parlour equipment and soil is becoming more depleted, it becomes problematic if you only using sea salt or Himilayan salt which have much lower levels.

Iodised salt might be a good idea.

Quote:
As iodine is crucial to thyroid function it might be a good idea to include a kelp tablet now and again.

I'd probable reserve supplementation until after a sustainable way of eating has been established because no point spending on pricey supplements that are not needed and can be gotten from whole foods.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Iodised salt might be a good idea.

I'd probable reserve supplementation until after a sustainable way of eating has been established because no point spending on pricey supplements that are not needed and can be gotten from whole foods.

I recently added some iodized salt to my Himalayan Pink shaker for the sake of a little bit of iodine each day and I also take half a kelp tablet, twice a week just to make sure.

As for supplements, besides the kelp tablet, the only two that I take are D and B12. When you're eating the most nutritionally dense food, spending lots of money on the other vitamins seems to me to be unnecessary. So you and I are in agreement on these things.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:53 AM
Master
Quote:
I recently added some iodized salt to my Himalayan Pink shaker for the sake of a little bit of iodine each day and I also take half a kelp tablet, twice a week just to make sure.

As for supplements, besides the kelp tablet, the only two that I take are D and B12. When you're eating the most nutritionally dense food, spending lots of money on the other vitamins seems to me to be unnecessary. So you and I are in agreement on these things.

Yes, and considering my reading for today, it might not be a good idea to rely on seaweed for iodine due to high concentrations therein affecting "iodine-induced hyperthyroidism or iodine-induced hypothyroidism" (please word search the hyerlinked article for context). At least a kelp supplement delivers a controlled dose, so it can be a good option.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 AM
Master
Oh yea, and oats, dried beans and chickpeas, lentils, rice, are cheap, along with the seasonal plant foods which are on special (or cheap frozen), so much cheaper than a typical Western diet! You be savin bucketloads!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Master
Quote:

As for salt, I just did a post here: https://agelessatsixty.com/iodine-de...es-8-symptoms/ where I talked about iodine deficiency. As vegans don't get the benefit of the iodine being used to clean milk parlour equipment and soil is becoming more depleted, it becomes problematic if you only using sea salt or Himilayan salt which have much lower levels. As iodine is crucial to thyroid function it might be a good idea to include a kelp tablet now and again.

hello Debrah, thanks for commenting. I understand where you're coming from as I have been there. I have researched how foods seemingly improve when cooked, with water/steam or oil even. and I add I believed it for a while. but the simplicity of the matter is, why would we destroy foods with heat just to eat them? they may have more vitamins available, but at what cost? and are those cooked vitamins really better for you than ones in their pure unprocessed raw state? for one important factor there is depletion of the negative ion/anion lifeforce that is present in real fresh foods, and that is a main source of energy for humans or life in general though most are oblivious to that fact. Negative ions and other lifeforce of food is of utmost importance and should not be overlooked. If the idea has never crossed your mind or research path you should look into it. You know raw foods are still alive and we can benefit from consuming that life rather than death.

I know about oxalic acid, phytic acid, and antinutrients in general. what you might not know is that cooking foods actually creates and binds acids and the body sees them as more of a threat. the degree can vary by food, but in general cooking creates acidity and messes with the natural chemistry of foods. I can't say I know everything concerning this topic, but I do know that living food has a lot more going for it and if it is impossible or deadly to eat it while it is raw and in its natural state then we probably shouldn't be eating it, right? cooking also reduces many vitamins and minerals so if you consume food that is raw and has higher nutrients the body would appreciate that more

as for salt, I am not sure why you brought up that issue, I was just saying I think it makes vegetables more tasty.. though I have heard that if you dissolve a sprinkle or tiny crystal on your tongue before drinking water that it opens your cells to be hydrated better. and there is "sol" a mixture of salt and water that has some healing efficacy as well. as for iodized salt that is just sad to be brought up as iodized salt involves a lot of insanity. for one thing if you're not careful it could be made with all sorts of dangerous chemicals like chlorine and fluoride. it's basically had most of the minerals besides sodium removed whereas himalayan or other natural sea salts have a lot of minerals in micro-doses which have a beneficial effect on the body. the way nature made it. but you can also get sodium from fresh food of course as it is present in most produce. I do think that sea vegetables are worthwhile and would take some daily myself if I didn't despise the taste. but I will work toward including that in my lifestyle because they can have a lot of benefits if you get them from quality sources. I have some random samplings but haven't been taking them, I will be brave and go swallow some now lol. I used to take liquid iodine but don't want to do that anymore
Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 PM
Master
Cat Update on rice dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandell
A simple, not to much to buy and very tasty cheap and healthy meal I can recommend is whole grain brown rice fried in onions and tomatoes add salt to your taste.

Silly me, I should have added sliced potatoes, cheap and cheerful add them after rice has cooked for a while or cook them on there own and add to onions while frying them to brown before adding cooked rice.

When I cook this for my self I use organic ingredients I use to add mushrooms but I have gone off them, they seem a bit fleshy to me these days, so I add fresh peas from the pod, spinach, soy sauce instead of salt, bit of cayenne pepper, fresh lemon juice, cyder vinegar or what ever takes your fancy and some times as soon it is nice and ready I take off heat add a good portion of grated cheese and let it melt over the veg and rice
in places where others do not.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 AM
Newbie ;)

(To include this thread...) It's been brought up on the message board on countless occasions, to prepare in bulk for the week. When doing the math, the amount of money spent for that week is much lower than if one were to, say, dine out each day of the week.

If 1-week (or more) meal prep seems daunting, ease into it with 1-to-2 day meal prep.

Make 'putting in the work' second nature, and become that super lucky person if this venture becomes permanent nature.

Also, to increase adherence at-first, use a simple set of ingredient choices that happen to be one's favorites. Simplicity combined with mass-preparation can equal intense savings. New ingredients and choices can be introduced overtime, when stagnation starts to build up.

Also, eating cheaply in any fashion can promote a lack of nutrition -- to which I highly advise supplementation of vegan multivitamins.

There are many cheap ingredients to be found on the 80/10/10 and McDougall side of the frameworks, and I personally recommend incorporating both, to both introduce found nutrition and found money-saving methods.