Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Master
What has it not got to do with spiritualism?

It's about resistance as a commonly understood principle of electrical motion and work.

Empty your cup Dragonfly.

Throw away the cup, even, and drink straight from the stream.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Master
Sorry Mac, for the quick and nasty answer.

So I spent a bit of time writing that post hoping people would get the metaphor but you took the path of what might be construed as least resistance.

You expended a small amount of current... a small amount of action - in the form of a possibly rhetorical question. It may have felt like the least resistance, but that's where people misunderstand resistance. They see action as an effect.

My post was a potential, your answer was an action and this post is the effect... the resistance.

Actually I got things to do. Later.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Interesting
Sorry Mac, for the quick and nasty answer.

So I spent a bit of time writing that post hoping people would get the metaphor but you took the path of what might be construed as least resistance.

You expended a small amount of current... a small amount of action - in the form of a possibly rhetorical question. It may have felt like the least resistance, but that's where people misunderstand resistance. They see action as an effect.

My post was a potential, your answer was an action and this post is the effect... the resistance.

Actually I got things to do. Later.

No need to apologise but thanks for your consideration.....

To repeat myself, "What's any of this got to do with Spiritualism......?????
Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Master
So much for starting in on work...

Mac, in my book, everything. (in answer to your questions)

Spirit, for me, is totally integrated into everyday life just as the opposite is true.

I can't extricate the idea of being spiritual from the mundane. It won't pull away and remain cohesive to the whole. Spiritualism devoid of my mundane reality has no meaning or existence because, and thankyou Mr Einstein, all things are relative to everything else.

So, I personally, use metaphors from one to explain the other just as a bass note of E is still the same note of E played in a higher octave.

So Potential, Action and resistance, being a rule in the mundane world, makes an easy transition for me to a higher octave, or supra mundane... when one is speaking of one particular aspect... as I thought this post was... least resistance.

I was offering that resistance is not measurable in and of itself but only against action and potential. It seems such ideas might be interesting where potential is often quoted as infinite to the point where the dogmatism of the statement has rendered it meaningless.

But I'm from a young country, far from the old lands, and we prefer our breakfast with a resounding dash of speaking in and around a topic. That way the young learn to read between the lines and understand the concept of their own judgement as being something worth trusting.

We are not very literal in New Zealand, bless our renegade hearts, but the art of saying much with few words is less obvious as time goes on. More we learn to speak volumes of nothingness just to fill the space of our own ineptitude.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Elena

I like the water and electrical current comparison to spirituality. I am not a science or electrical person but I understood it for some reason. LOL
Old 13-10-2011, 07:32 AM
mac

Having read again through all the postings in this topic thread I still find my earlier question unanswered......

The ideas expressed here are relevant to life in general and hence have no special relevance to Spiritualism - or for that matter to Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism....you get my point?

This forum is sited under the umbrella description of 'Religions and Faiths' along with those I mention above plus a shed load more. Hence posting such a topic here - rather than in a general discussion forum - is as inappropriate as it would be posted in the other similarly-specific forums.

To repeat myself, "What's any of this got to do with Spiritualism......????? and I'll add for clarity: "....and not to do with any of the others?"
Old 13-10-2011, 07:46 AM
mac

Quote:
So much for starting in on work...

Mac, in my book, everything. (in answer to your questions)

Spirit, for me, is totally integrated into everyday life just as the opposite is true.

I can't extricate the idea of being spiritual from the mundane. It won't pull away and remain cohesive to the whole. Spiritualism devoid of my mundane reality has no meaning or existence because, and thankyou Mr Einstein, all things are relative to everything else.

So, I personally, use metaphors from one to explain the other just as a bass note of E is still the same note of E played in a higher octave.

So Potential, Action and resistance, being a rule in the mundane world, makes an easy transition for me to a higher octave, or supra mundane... when one is speaking of one particular aspect... as I thought this post was... least resistance.

I was offering that resistance is not measurable in and of itself but only against action and potential. It seems such ideas might be interesting where potential is often quoted as infinite to the point where the dogmatism of the statement has rendered it meaningless.

But I'm from a young country, far from the old lands, and we prefer our breakfast with a resounding dash of speaking in and around a topic. That way the young learn to read between the lines and understand the concept of their own judgement as being something worth trusting.

We are not very literal in New Zealand, bless our renegade hearts, but the art of saying much with few words is less obvious as time goes on. More we learn to speak volumes of nothingness just to fill the space of our own ineptitude.

"Spirit, for me, is totally integrated into everyday life just as the opposite is true." I agree wholeheartedly.

"Spiritualism devoid of my mundane reality has no meaning or existence because, and thankyou Mr Einstein, all things are relative to everything else." May I ask what 'Spiritualism' is in your book? As I see Spiritualism, it's a science, philosophy and (in the UK) a religion which has meaning and existence irrespective of how few or how many incorporate it into their personal mundane realities..... No matter how few might understand its principles and philosophy, the underlying truth it conveys is not in the least impacted. But maybe I'm speaking about Spiritualism whereas you're meaning 'spirituality'?

"But I'm from a young country, far from the old lands, and we prefer our breakfast with a resounding dash of speaking in and around a topic. That way the young learn to read between the lines and understand the concept of their own judgment as being something worth trusting." How do "the young" react to the notion (as far as you can tell) of unending life, the continuation of our existence beyond corporeal death, the possibility of further communication through evidential mediumship? (the fundamentals of Spiritualism)

If it's as you might be suggesting that the Spiritualist movement is alive and well down-under then I for one will be heartened by that and would love to know more.

Perhaps you could clue me up a little?
Old 14-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Master
Cool Mac, I thought your question was about my thread specifically and not the thread in general...

I didn't get the connection to beliefs and religion and spiritualism as a scientific faith, and am I right in suggesting the Theosophical society might be a spiritualist church or is it more like the Spiritualist Church, but merely jumped at Spiritualism... as I think the original post writer did.

As for the sense of spiritualism, not specifically of the spiritualist church, being alive and well in New Zealand... it may very well be.

The native peoples, the Maori, followed a ancestor worship, shamanistic style belief system and this, when merging with Christianity, spawned a few movements started by visionaries.

Now, several hundred years later, this indigenous creation, has mixed somewhat freely with the hardy and adventurous Caucasian souls who made their way here. So there is an underlying acceptance in this country of the ways of spirit. Whether the young are cottoning on to it under the onslaught of American media-ism and device fetishism - well, only time will tell. But I'd say that the general level of acceptance of a wider view, other than straight Christian beliefs, is fairly endemic with Maori Sovereignty - shared with the Queen of England - written into law.
Old 14-10-2011, 09:43 AM
mac

Mr Interesting Cool Mac, I thought your question was about my thread specifically and not the thread in general...When I write specifically in response to someone's posting(s) I use the 'Quote' button or place their original writing in "speech marks" to show that. (as I did with your own points)

I didn't get the connection to beliefs and religion and spiritualism as a scientific faith, I didn't actually use those words...It's not a "scientific faith" but it is a legally registered religion in the UK. and am I right in suggesting the Theosophical society might be a spiritualist church or is it more like the Spiritualist Church neither...., but merely jumped at Spiritualism... as I think the original post writer did. Yes it's a continuing confusion that 'Spiritualism' under the umbrella banner 'Religion and Faiths' is still seen as the general term of spiritualism or spirituality - even in the UK where I presently am...I try my best to explain as often as I can find the enthusiasm. In an attempt - mostly fruitless - to distinguish one from t'other I will often use the term Modern Spiritualism. (capital first letters)

As for the sense of spiritualism, not specifically of the spiritualist church, being alive and well in New Zealand... it may very well be. I think you'll find I actually asked about issues which are the bedrock of Spiritualism, not the Spiritualist church.....Spiritualism isn't the Spiritualist church. I'm a staunch Spiritualist but rarely attend the Spiritualist church.

The native peoples, the Maori, followed a ancestor worship, shamanistic style belief system and this, when merging with Christianity, spawned a few movements started by visionaries.

Now, several hundred years later, this indigenous creation, has mixed somewhat freely with the hardy and adventurous Caucasian souls who made their way here. So there is an underlying acceptance in this country of the ways of spirit. And that's another rubbing point - what does 'spirit' actually mean or suggest to folk? Whether the young are cottoning on to it under the onslaught of American media-ism and device fetishism - well, only time will tell. But I'd say that the general level of acceptance of a wider view, other than straight Christian beliefs, is fairly endemic with Maori Sovereignty - shared with the Queen of England - written into law. And for me the sad part is that there's another mish-mash of ideas emerging locally and/or globally in the so-called developed world. Yet more ambiguity and confused ideas....

Still I won't be here for much longer and by the time I check in here again perhaps matters will have progressed some.

We'll see, eh? Well I will!
Old 14-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Master
Quote:

Quote:

So with that in mind often the path of least resistance is about looking carefully at what you want to achieve and realising possible other ways, than the initially obvious, to get what needs getting.

Quote:

So often the path of least resistance is about changing, and challenging, the nature of potential, while enlarging the scope of possible actions and being in a conducive mode that suits the outcome.

OMG! Mr Interesting...where the heck did you dig this up from? LOL I havent even got it on my own radar anymore and the last post was in august.

Very nice post and I picked out some of it. You've done your homework. Thanks for that