Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 28-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Master
i think a more interesting question, is how do i misbehave at christian ceremonies...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 28-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabda
i think a more interesting question, is how do i misbehave at christian ceremonies...
He he he, good one Shabda lol
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Pathfinder
I've only gone to Christian services three since I converted to Paganism. Once for my grandma's funeral, once for my principal's, and once when I stayed with my godmother for a weekend.

At grandma's funeral, wasn't real religious and spent most of the time just crying like a child. There was nothing else I could force myself to do, it just hurt to much.

At my principal's was pretty similar, but on a slightly more scaled down level. This one was in a Catholic church so I got tips from a Catholic friend on proper etiquette for things such as communion (learned about it but they didn't make everyone go). Lots of crying then too.

On the weekend trip, I just sang along with the hymns because I don't have a problem with them, music is just music to me and they invoke childhood memories of family.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Tanith

Having been raised- mostly- southern baptist, but with a very open mind in my household, I feel that, no matter who you are and what you practice, if you find yourself in a ritual or ceremony or congregation of any religion, respect that tradition's practice and faith by joining in. It would be both a learning experience for you, and a new way to celebrate the One, because it doesn't matter what path you choose in life, all paths end with the One.

Saying this, when I do attend church services with my family (which I have to admit I rather dislike) I join in- I know the songs and I know how I'm supposed to act, but I always keep in mind and heart that I have chosen a different path, and I recite that in my mind when the preacher prays.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 AM
LadyMoondancer

whenever I attend a Christian service, it is usually with respect.

So they are appeasing THEIR gods - yep, that's why they're there. Just because YOU think THEIR dogma is silly, doesn't give you the right to laugh or misbehave. You wouldn't want a christian to come to an open circle and start saying it's all from the devil. You would want respect, then we should give respect as well.
This doesn't mean you have to participate. The place where the service is being held is sacred ground. then say some prayers to YOUR gods. Every path is a path to the divine.

on a silly note - my dad passed away this January. We were brought up Catholic. My sister is Theodish heathen, and I am Wiccan/Witch. 4 different times, my sister's hand went up to "cross herself." Old habits die hard. lol. Even through our grief, Gert and I smiled to each other as she put her hand down.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
scorpiowitch66

I am very sorry for your loss Ladymoondancer

It is really interesting that this came up again because this weekend we went to our first pagan festival. The opening ceremony was wiccan and my daughter, who is 9, said Mom! What do I do? I am not pagan!!!! I told her to just be respectful like you are in a church, which of course she did.

Later on in the day, they had a Druid ceremony for Llamas (sp?) and she was asked to participate with three other little girls by sprinking water on everyone around the circle. She really thought it was neat

It is so inspiring to see kids, not just mine, accept things so openheartedly.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Lostgirl

I agree with LadyMoondancer, i attend with respect for what others believe in. I see no point in causing trouble, or misbehaving for the sake of it or because its not what i believe in :)
Old 10-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Arlan Lares

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMoondancer
You wouldn't want a christian to come to an open circle and start saying it's all from the devil.
That's true. Unfortunately, that's exactly how some Christians do treat pagans: saying these beliefs are all about the devil and demons. Pagans, for our part, don't crassly tell Christians that Christ was a demon.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Lostgirl

Although some may do that, i think doing the same to them would just make us as bad. Rise above it and all that, be the bigger person...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
LadyMoondancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlan Lares
That's true. Unfortunately, that's exactly how some Christians do treat pagans: saying these beliefs are all about the devil and demons. Pagans, for our part, don't crassly tell Christians that Christ was a demon.

yes, I know. and I've done some battles with them when they post that fire and brimstone nonsense on some wiccan or pagan youtube clips.

and I must admit I enjoy baiting the really dumb ones with questions like "tell me about easter - what does chocolate eggs and bunnys got to do with JC resurrecting? And can you tell me who Eostre is? --- shuts them up everytime.