Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 24-02-2012, 05:44 PM
chandrakavi

Why are there so many religions?

This reminds me of an old story of India.

Eight blind men wanted to know what an elephant was like. So all of them went to an elephant, and everyone of them touched a differnt part of the elephant, one touched the tail, another the leg, another the trump, another the back, another the eyes, and so on. Then they sat down to talk what the elephant was like, and since each one touched a different part ,they disagreed, and are still arguing what an elephant is like.
Old 25-02-2012, 06:33 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Everyone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrakavi

Eight blind men wanted to know what an elephant was like. So all of them went to an elephant, and everyone of them touched a differnt part of the elephant, one touched the tail, another the leg, another the trump, another the back, another the eyes, and so on. Then they sat down to talk what the elephant was like, and since each one touched a different part ,they disagreed, and are still arguing what an elephant is like.

This is brilliant and illustrates my point quite nicely!

They are all disagreeing--because they each experienced the Elephant in different ways.

However--if they would only take a moment to compare notes and piece each experience together--all of the blind men who be able to see the entire Elephant! LOL

What if we are all right and the actual path to the "Truth" can only be discovered by learning to accept each other as we are, value every individual's experience and knowledge, then learn to work together for the common good of all?

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 25-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Master
Perhaps there are so many religions because religions are primarily run by men...and for men, size is everything.
Old 25-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
--if they would only take a moment to compare notes and piece each experience together--all of the blind men who be able to see the entire Elephant! ...."Truth" can only be discovered by learning to accept each other as we are, value every individual's experience and knowledge, then learn to work together for the common good of all?

well said LadyTerra, the question is not "what is the truth?"

the question is "why can't we accept each other as we are?'

mj
Old 27-02-2012, 04:56 AM
LadyTerra

Greetings Everyone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew James
well said LadyTerra, the question is not "what is the truth?"

the question is "why can't we accept each other as we are?'

mj

Thank you--M.J.!

IMO--the answer is pride and ego.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...
Old 27-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Ambermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
every path leads to the same place because there is only one set of footprints
and
it's
going
round and round in circles
!

I like that.
But these feet imprinted themselves in a different way to all different beings.
Yet, branching away and walking different roads - these feet lead us to the same source. Is that about right?
Old 27-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Ambermay

Quote:

I love that story too. It explains a lot!
Fancy what a simple metaphor can explain!
Old 27-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermay
I like that.
But these feet imprinted themselves in a different way to all different beings.
Yet, branching away and walking different roads - these feet lead us to the same source. Is that about right?

Hi Ambermay,

When I posted that, I was thinking of a cute story about Winnie the Pooh who goes out one snowy day with his pop gun to hunt for a "Weezel". He is joined by Piglet and together they walk around a bush. Suddenly they noticed extra tracks in the snow. As they puzzle about it, walking around, new footprints keep showing up. Of course the reader knows these are their own footprints.

The goal of true Religion is reunification with Self. We are all One at the Source of our being. It is the Poohs and the Piglets who forget this as they hunt for that which they do not yet know. And the more they go about it, the more they fear that unknown, becoming suspicious etc...

A A Milne was an inspired writer.

There is a beautiful poem about footprints by Mary Stevenson, that gives another angle on my story:
http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com...=Poem/Poem.php

And walking in the footprints of the master is a metaphor for following a way that you know will lead to oneness through a person who lives it in fullness.
Old 27-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Ambermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Hi Ambermay,

We are all One at the Source of our being. It is the Poohs and the Piglets who forget this as they hunt for that which they do not yet know. And the more they go about it, the more they fear that unknown, becoming suspicious etc...

And walking in the footprints of the master is a metaphor for following a way that you know will lead to oneness through a person who lives it in fullness.

Yes, it's a metaphor for sure. I know that.

But about the Pooh-the-Bear - is it something like he goes to the North Pole? What about the Hollow Earth theory? Did you hear about that?

I actually love it. Both - the Pooh story and the theory about the Hollow Earth.
Old 27-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Master

The reason there are so many religions is that most people have rejected the truth that God has revealed to us and have been forced to invent substitutes for it.
Quote:
Did you know there was a sequal to that story?

http://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/the-second-elephant-2/