Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 26-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Ascender

If consciousness was proven to be created by the brain...??

This would be a hammer blow for survival hopes, would it not??

I kind of dread this happening somehow. How then could a mind generated by a living brain, continue existence without one??
Old 26-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
If consciousness was proven to be created by the brain...??
Do you mean science proving it?
It'll never happen in my life nor in my children's lifetime. The fortress of philosophical materialism that consciousness studies is hiding in will never allow it.

Last edited by Rokon : 26-10-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 26-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Master

NDE's and communications from the Other Side prove the very opposite to be true

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 26-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
Take a look at this. It may shock you:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...hocks-doctors/

If 'consciousness' were solely a product of a 'normal' brain development, then this should not be possible. (After all, significant brain damage does usually produce tremendous effects.)
Granted -there may be a scientific explanation for this, which scientists are so far baffled about...or there may be other factors beyond the brain itself, which are responsible.

I have recently heard of another case, but have to track it down.

Personally I have no argument with the idea that the brain is a receptor -albeit in rather a limited way -of consciousness, rather than the generator of it. My own conviction comes from out of body experiences. But unfortunately they are not proof to anyone but myself. And science is undecided as yet about the origin of such phenomena. Of course that makes no difference to those who experience it! LOL
Old 27-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Deactivated Account
The brain isn't even the first organ to develop within a human embryo - the HEART is....

Scientists/Doctors will never be able to prove that the biological brain is the source of consciousness... Trying to reduce consciousness down to unconscious 'component parts' will never explain the phenomenon of consciousness itself... Consciousness must come first...
Old 27-10-2015, 05:02 AM
Experiencer
I am of the belief the brain is more of an antenna or receiver than it is tissue that manifest consciousness from a concoction of Glutamate & GABA, Serotonin, Dopamine, Endorphins and Noradrenaline... This idea just seems silly to me.

More to the point - I would not fret to much over it. If consciousness merely is a figment of illusion and imagination - you won't have any regrets believing otherwise and you will enjoy a more meaningful life despite what the illusion is.

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has not overcome them.

-- Carl Jung
Old 27-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Ascender

Its a strange one because the brain could be manufacturing the NDE/OBE/Mediumship experiences to be so utterly convincing they really appeal to be real but they still could be nothing more. There are plenty of OBE practitioners & astral projecters who are adamant that it is just imagination and all the entities incl deceased loved ones are just figments of the mind

Id love there to be a spiritual world but I don't trust the brain; I fear it!! It could be responsible for creating false hopes and we are unable to tell otherwise!

We really do need to record something either video or audio that confirms something external to just personal observation ie a ghost on film. I personally don't think we have yet to take a single photograph of the supernatural

EVIL BRAIN!!!!
Old 27-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Ascender

Another thing is if we are separate from the brain then where is the transmission coming from and who is transmitting it. have we been around forever?

The big thing for me is when we go into really deep sleep we don't dream do we so consciousness is absent. Where does it go? It just ceases doesn't it so why would it differ at death?
Old 28-10-2015, 01:33 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Its a strange one because the brain could be manufacturing the NDE/OBE/Mediumship experiences to be so utterly convincing they really appeal to be real but they still could be nothing more.

Perhaps - but consider this. millions of people have had these experiences throughout the ages of man with similarities. I can't see how conjecture - which is what your implying has more validity than the countless experiences others encountered. It is not is not a reasonable hypothesis for one reason - it is not based on any evidence other than a distrust of what others have said. Science certainly can't explain consciousness - it never has figured it out and I doubt it ever will. Science is tool best used in a physical world of mass, space and time.

Quote:
There are plenty of OBE practitioners & astral projecters who are adamant that it is just imagination and all the entities incl deceased loved ones are just figments of the mind

I can't say I have heard this before but I suppose they are out there. In any case - it is still conjecture. Today we have no real way of having a definitive answer to this question. It is a question humanity has been trying to figure out from the beginning.

Quote:
Id love there to be a spiritual world but I don't trust the brain; I fear it!! It could be responsible for creating false hopes and we are unable to tell otherwise!

Faith is not false hope.... False hope is fear in no hope at all

Quote:
We really do need to record something either video or audio that confirms something external to just personal observation ie a ghost on film. I personally don't think we have yet to take a single photograph of the supernatural

Pictures, videos, audio... These are all mediums that can and are manipulated everyday. These pictures as you describe are not something the spiritual mind needs to see. Even if we had them - I believe most would suspect something suspicious.

From a spiritual perspective - it is not about the evidence - the evidence is irrelevant. It is plainly about the life experience you enjoy and the faith you have in this emotional journey we are all experiencing. As I previously stated -- when this life is over. If there is no after experience. You will never know it, but if there is - as I believe. Well - that changes everything and the question becomes irrelevant.

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has not overcome them.

-- Carl Jung
Old 28-10-2015, 01:38 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Another thing is if we are separate from the brain then where is the transmission coming from and who is transmitting it. have we been around forever?

The big thing for me is when we go into really deep sleep we don't dream do we so consciousness is absent. Where does it go? It just ceases doesn't it so why would it differ at death?

The brain is an organ. Consiousness doesn't live in the brain, it moves freely throughout our bodies and also lives within places, objects and in the atmosphere.

You must think that when we're asleep we;re all dreaming inside the brain. No. We go to other dimensions and worlds when we dream. We can also dream of being on the actual world and there are stories of people seeing someone who was really asleep at home in bed.