Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 AM
yumi14

my dad was an atheist. do my prayers for his soul get answered?

I had a terrible relationship with my dad, but I have been able to forgive him and have been finding myself praying for god to have mercy on his soul. It kills me thinking he is stuck in purgatory or worse, so I pray.

Does god even accept prayers like this? Do prayers like this help?

I'm also praying for other people that have passed on as well. I just hope it helps in someway for them if they happen to be stuck in a realm that they want out of and to move on to a higher place. I think most of them are OK, tho. It is my dad I have had the most concern about, as he was the confessed atheist and well, not such a great guy.

Thanks for any input :)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Ecthalion

Hi Yumi

Firstly, I don't think it matters whether or not a deceased person was an atheist. God is not so petty that He would condemn someone for not believing.
Secondly, I don't believe in hell or purgatory. I'm sure that your dad has been reconciled with God and made aware of mistakes he made during life; but not "punished."
Thirdly, your prayers bring you comfort; they are of benefit.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 AM
primrose

Prayers will always help, no matter what a Souls belief was.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Experiencer
Yumi14, hopefully it will be helpful to know that our Creator does not judge things or people with a human ego consciousness. Therefore, there would be no anger or resentment towards an atheist. Prayers are a wonderful and powerful tool and are never wasted.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Experiencer
It makes no difference what people believe in life. Do you really think God will look to see if a person has been to the right church, or to any at all? That would indeed be a bleak prospect.

Luckily, God doesnt care much about the inventions of mankind. Even more luckily, God is not somewhere out there, He is in here, in each of us.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
yumi14

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and comfort, I really appreciate it. I hope my dad and everyone I have ever loved who have passed are in a good place right now :) I have a better feeling now that they are :)