Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny How Time Flies
If they have a purpose, then they can't be enlightened.

I don't know where you got that idea, Funny, but eople do have a lot of preconceptions about what it means to be enlightened.

My suggestion: Work toward enlightenment yourself and as it unfolds, then see what it is and how you are in it.

In Sanskrit there's a term, "parabdhakarma", which means the fulfillment of your purpose in this world after enlightenment and Self realization.

Xan

Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Master
There have been many 'buddhas' - awakened ones - in the world, before and since the historical buddha. Let's not start treating him like the "only one" as some other religions do.

Xan

Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 PM
oliness

Buddhas have a purpose - to liberate all sentient beings. Bodhisattvas have that same purpose, and also the will to become a Buddha in order that they may be able to liberate sentient beings. What they don't have are selfish purposes. Only altruistic ones. Buddhas no longer have selfish desire, but they do have the desire to free all beings from suffering.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Experiencer
We can speculate endlessly with our opinions on these matters - but best of all is to study the historical Buddha's teachings, meditate, practice mindfulness and loving-kindness - and walk the path ourselves.

Old 15-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Funny How Time Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
I don't know where you got that idea, Funny, but eople do have a lot of preconceptions about what it means to be enlightened.

My suggestion: Work toward enlightenment yourself and as it unfolds, then see what it is and how you are in it.

In Sanskrit there's a term, "parabdhakarma", which means the fulfillment of your purpose in this world after enlightenment and Self realization.

Xan

I did work towards enlightenment for years. Turned out I was working towards a myth.
Old 15-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Master
What do you mean by 'myth', Funny?

Do you mean you never experienced the silence of being?

Xan

Old 15-12-2011, 07:36 PM
oliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny How Time Flies
I did work towards enlightenment for years. Turned out I was working towards a myth.

Enlightenment as defined in Buddhism is the total elimination of all negative qualities from the mind. That cannot be a myth, it would be like saying that a clean mirror is a myth. It's possible that if we think it's a myth we have unrealistic expectations of how easy it is to gain realizations. Just as it takes time to do anything, whether it's learning a language or getting fit, spiritual realizations and full enlightenment is possible but will not happen overnight. The traditions speak of many lifetimes of discipline required to get there....
Old 15-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Master
In my view, enlightenment is a process of discovering the pure awareness that is beyond the thinking mind...
and surrendering the false identity, including both negative and positive beliefs about oneself, into that beingness.

Xan