Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 AM
smallflowerbigworld

I need advice!

So I'm just beginning doing yoga, and I'm not very strong. I'm having issues doing even basic poses, and i need some advice as to how to begin my yogic journey. Any advice or ideas are welcome!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Master

Are you in a class, you really need a teacher. The basic poses have different levels of difficulty so ensure your teacher adjusts accordingly.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Master
a teacher would be good, especially in the beginning. it helps to learn the proper pose to avoid injury and learn where and what its focus is. don't get discouraged! I would consider myself pretty strong for a girl, let me tell you- yoga whips your butt! there are all kinds of muscles that you just are not accustomed to using- shoot, ones you didn't know you had- and yoga finds them all! whatever you do, don't give up. it is so worth it. I have been practicing for almost 2years now- I am no where near what I would consider good- but I have gained so much awareness of my body. I wish you well :)
Old 22-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Tera's_Party

Contortion and Yoga are my passion so here are some of my basic suggestions to get better faster.

1. Practice twice a day morning and night.
2. Don't think about the length of time it takes to improve just keep at it and you will get better.
3. Focus more on the poses your weakest at and don't put so much time into the ones you feel your stronger at.
4. I don't know about others but I find I get the best results if I keep repeating the same pose and holding between 15 sec to 2 minutes depending on comfort. I sometimes keep repeating certain pose for 40 minutes or longer. It's really not necessary but I am really into it.
5. Some people say warm up but I prefer going right into stretches even cold. Though it takes longer to ease into them, I think the flexibility gained is permanent. I can tell when I take periods of time off.
6. Yoga classes are helpful but many are lacking because they speedily move into different poses. That's all fine and good, but you never quite get as deep into the poses you're wanting.
7. Personally I don't feel having a teacher is necessary at least in the very beginning. If you are taking classes and you know the pose you want, just practice them at home in your free time. When you go back to class you will discover what you're doing right or wrong.
8. Try not to be intimidated by yoga. Many people especially the show-offs like me make it seem so mystical and complicated more than it really is. Once you get the hang of it a few times, you'll start to see what you can do. I often hear people speak about how easily you can injure yourself but feel a lot of that is exaggerated. Definitely use caution at first but don't feel like you have to baby yourself. Your body will show you your limits. Aside from that you'll feel a lot of pain well before you get near injury. I don't think I know many people that have hurt themselves while doing yoga. Just sayin. :)

That's just a few things to get you on your way. By the way feel free to ask me any specific questions you have. I love teaching yoga
Old 28-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Guide
Beginner yoga with easy poses. I do yoga with online videos. Work on easier poses like down dog, cat and cow, stretching, plank, sitting cross legged, easy balancing poses like tree and balancing the cat, etc. As you practice, you will build up your core muscles and it will become easier. Once you can do the easy stuff with ease, you can move on. Stop doing a pose if you feel sharp pains and look into how to correct your posture.
Old 31-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Master

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5722574.html
Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 PM
breeGEE

I am not sure I would ever recommend someone starting yoga without first attending a few classes. It is not really something that can be self taught really.