Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
My personal experience with kumkum and vibhuthi is that vibhuthi is definitely more consistent than kumkum. On one trip to India I had archanas doen at every temple I went to, as Boss had requested it, in her name, in exchange for staying home while I went. (Our youngest was about 14 at the time). Vibhuthi had basically the same sweet smell, fine texture etc., every single time. Kumkum, OTOH differed in color, in texture, in psychic 'feel' etc. Therefore I just don't trust it as much, and have heard some pretty nasty stuff in regard to chemicals that are added to it. But this is off topic so I'll cease and desist.
Namaste.

Oh the amount of times I have gone totally off-topic within this section of the forum...I figured that there are only a few who use this forum now, so any communication is good, and threads can go on forever, so somebody can get 'back on topic' if they really want to, or they can go 'off topic' as well....there doesn't seem to be too much caring going on either way, so why not spam to one's heart's content?

Vibhuthi is associated with Lord Shiva, whilst kumkum is associated with the goddess anyway and it just intrigued me how turmeric has a chemical reaction with alkaline compounds...I mean, I should have realised it when trying to clean curry out of a pot using a cream cleanser and the inside of my pot turned bright pink...

So, when I read how kumkum was traditionally made, it was like a light bulb went off in my head and I was like "yeah....that works....explains a lot..."

I remember subscribing to the Divine Life Society magazine and they sent us out free vibhuthi and kumkum with every magazine...both were very lovely indeed.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 12-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Namaste.

Oh the amount of times I have gone totally off-topic within this section of the forum...I figured that there are only a few who use this forum now, so any communication is good, and threads can go on forever, so somebody can get 'back on topic' if they really want to, or they can go 'off topic' as well....there doesn't seem to be too much caring going on either way, so why not spam to one's heart's content?

Vibhuthi is associated with Lord Shiva, whilst kumkum is associated with the goddess anyway and it just intrigued me how turmeric has a chemical reaction with alkaline compounds...I mean, I should have realised it when trying to clean curry out of a pot using a cream cleanser and the inside of my pot turned bright pink...

So, when I read how kumkum was traditionally made, it was like a light bulb went off in my head and I was like "yeah....that works....explains a lot..."

I remember subscribing to the Divine Life Society magazine and they sent us out free vibhuthi and kumkum with every magazine...both were very lovely indeed.

Aum Namah Shivaya

The first time I read about turmeric and lime, I went out and bought a bunch of limes and turmeric, and tried it myself. it didn't work of course, as it's caustic lime, not lime the fruit. But hey it was a daydream adventure visualising piles of home made kumkum. Stupid he was.
Old 14-12-2016, 03:51 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
The first time I read about turmeric and lime, I went out and bought a bunch of limes and turmeric, and tried it myself. it didn't work of course, as it's caustic lime, not lime the fruit. But hey it was a daydream adventure visualising piles of home made kumkum. Stupid he was.

Haha oh wow that's totally something I would try!

I didn't post here again yet because I haven't watched the videos, since I'm on an electronic device that only supports Nintendo-approved multimedia. But I just had to share my laugh about your experiment! And I read both lime and baking soda, so which is it? I have turmeric, natron, AND lime, so I might just have to try this now....

But first I must research!
Trigger Warning: I am neither FDA Approved nor USDA Certified. Certain subject matter is prohibited by federal law; I'm a good girl, so please don't publicly discuss such things with me. Privately message me if you'd like to ask personal questions.

My advice may contain words known in the state of California to offend people. Attempt any activities I discuss at your own risk. I ask odd questions and give answers you won't want to hear. Come to me as a last resort.
Old 14-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentSun
Haha oh wow that's totally something I would try!

I didn't post here again yet because I haven't watched the videos, since I'm on an electronic device that only supports Nintendo-approved multimedia. But I just had to share my laugh about your experiment! And I read both lime and baking soda, so which is it? I have turmeric, natron, AND lime, so I might just have to try this now....

But first I must research!

I'm still not sure either. But I think it might be the caustic lime that farmers use for disinfecting, or some sports like baseball use for temporary lining of fields. Never heard of baking soda, but I'll try another experiment today. Can't imagine it working.
Old 14-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
I'm still not sure either. But I think it might be the caustic lime that farmers use for disinfecting, or some sports like baseball use for temporary lining of fields. Never heard of baking soda, but I'll try another experiment today. Can't imagine it working.

Huh, I could've sworn I read a post on this thread about sodium bicarbonate....Both are alkaline so either might work. Haha I love spiritual/scientific experiments. It's a fine line to walk, trusting God versus playing God.

Human are bad at that. We manipulate genes, molecules, and atoms, not giving any credit whatsoever to the original artist. So I start every experiment with a prayer of thanksgiving for the opportunity, asking permission to play around with God's art supplies. The skill of alchemy is a privilege and not a right.

I think I made that mistake in a past life, dabbling in alchemy without gratitude or respect for the natural gifts God already provides. Maybe I was selfishly seeking immortality or trying to create gold. Now I've learned to be fully satisfied by the simplest things; when I accidentally made verdigris by spilling vinegar on pennies, it absolutely made my day.

Actually....the colours of kumkum and verdigris seem to go nicely together....
Trigger Warning: I am neither FDA Approved nor USDA Certified. Certain subject matter is prohibited by federal law; I'm a good girl, so please don't publicly discuss such things with me. Privately message me if you'd like to ask personal questions.

My advice may contain words known in the state of California to offend people. Attempt any activities I discuss at your own risk. I ask odd questions and give answers you won't want to hear. Come to me as a last resort.
Old 14-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Guide

So I went and tried turmeric and baking soda. Didn't work. The caustic lime is only sold in large quantities so I won't be trying that. Lots of kumkum available at Indian stores, and from the temple I attend. We still have lots from the trips to India too.
Old 14-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Master
Namaste.

I had read once that bi-carb soda could be used, apparently that was wrong...I haven't tried making kumkum myself though....my bad.

So, I went and let Wiki be my friend...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumkuma

I doubt that kumkum can be made from turmeric mixed with anything and that is just an 'old wives tale'.

I still don't know why the curry in a pot turned pink with the application of ajax powder...maybe I was just imagining that because the experiment can't be replicated outside of curious serendipity.

Ah well, back to talking about Shiva...and all I am becoming aware of now is to get this Shiva love to exist more in my life and not only when I turn my mind to it...or meditate...or focus on/feel Shiva, I need to turn my mind to it...meditate on and focus/feel Shiva more than I do.

At the moment, I meditate/pray for half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening....and wonder why I only go into Shiva bliss for half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening and for the rest of the day, I come back down to earth and I am grumpy, moody, irritable, lonely, bored, negative and I start acting out.

People say to me, how can you be like you are if you love Shiva so much? Can't you carry that Shiva love into everyday awareness? to do that, I must make it a part of my everyday awareness...

It seems like I have separated my 'spiritual life' from my 'physical life' and now the two are at loggerheads. I would like to know how to incorporate my love for Shiva into everyday existence and not just when I am peaceful, relaxed and in the mood to just let myself feel it.

So, this has been my problem all along...I need a constant reminder of this and I have tried wearing rudraksha, an 'om ring'....but I need to be reminded I am wearing all that too, to be reminded of Shiva love.

I guess I just need to do even more sadhana than I am doing...one hour a day isn't enough to be able to remember and exist in that state for the other 23 hours...when I am not sleeping or even in my sleep...I'd love to actually dream about Shiva, but funnily enough, I never have.

It's a process that needs to become 'automatic' and not manual...I need to drive the automatic version of the Shiva bliss-mobile.

...and ignoring Shiva's 'Dark Aspects' isn't going to help me....if anything it will only hinder me, as I worship and love Shiva holistically....both light and dark aspects...both Maha Deva (Great Angel) and Bhuteshwara (Demon Lord)...I couldn't love or worship Shiva any other way because my love is unconditional.

No, I just have to increase the amount of time I spend in fond remembrance of the Lord in any aspect and not only love Shiva, but be true to that love within myself...and although I love Shiva, trust is another issue entirely because sometimes I go to sleep at night wondering if I am going to wake up the next day when my breathing slows right down to about 2-3 breaths/minute and I feel like I am falling backwards into oblivion.

Another problem being that I have raised my energies (kundalini) improperly...it was an orchestrated and arranged 'accident' and it occurred as I was studying the floor-plan of the Borobudur temple in Java a few months ago...then all my lives came flashing before me, all in the space of about 5 minutes...

So, this is what is going on with me and why I can never seem to find 'spiritual closure' with this - because the past keeps on influencing the present...

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 19-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Newbie ;)

Love Shiva even though I'm a devotee of Krishna. A lot of what Shiva teaches I really resonate with.
Old 21-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Master
Shiva appeared to me as Krishna once and said;

"Tell me my dear, am I Shiva appearing as Krishna or Krishna appearing as Shiva appearing as Krishna?"

For a bit, I was startled - all I could say was "neither? both?"

So, Shiva says; "what is it then, both or neither?"

Most of my conversations with Him go like this and I should really start posting my conversations with Shiva - some of them are totally hilarious.

I go "okay then, you are Shiva appearing as Krishna"

Shiva goes "how do you know?"

I say "I don't, but anything to shut You up".

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Suspended
Knower

Lord Shiva is a part of the trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh and shiva is associated with Moksha which is relief from the cycle of birth and death.
For any information about Lord shiva and their archieves like Shiv chalisha, Aarti etc. you can log on to : http://www.shreeshreeshaktiparivaar.com/shaktipedia/