Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Newbie ;)

Any feedback for beginning Buddhists?

I recently delved into Buddhist teachings. I have long been interested in it, but only dabbled in it over the years. Now, I am meditating and studying the basic teachings. Any feedback, guidance or suggestions?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Pathfinder

I would recommend reading a few of the "classics", such as The Zen Path Through Depression by Philip Martin and Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. Those are 2 must reads for anyone interest in Buddhist teachings. Martin's book on depression is great even if you're not depressed (if you're not now depressed you have been or will be, it's a human condition that no one escapes, and other animals suffer from it as well as humans). Martin writes from his own personal experiences, and is a very authentic person.

You didn't mention which form of Buddhism you're interested in. Pure Land is about as far from Zen as you can get for someone just starting out, and SGI is not a group I would encourage anyone to approach because of the cult like flavor of Nichirin teachings. Others may disagree, but I have had personal dealings w/ them and in my mind that is not an authentic Buddhist teaching. I do not have a Zen group that is good in my new city (my basic practice for roughly 2 decades) and have been going to a Shambhala group. The sitting meditation is pretty much exactly the same, the people not as quite as rigid, they incorporate some Tibetan visualizations that I am not so familiar with so I stick to my basic meditation, and find my group to be altogether fun and full of people from all levels of practice w/ excellent senior teachers. Often the people at your chosen group will be more important to you than the specific lineage. Sure, you could go sit in a cave and meditate by yourself (and probably should if all you have are inauthentic teachers where you are). Nothing wrong w/ a solitary practice), but the sangha is a cornerstone of the practice. In Shambhala, as in most Zen sanghas, it's 20 minutes of sitting meditation, 10 minutes of walking meditation, repeat as the teacher desires, and finished w/ a dharma talk. Some Zen groups will sit for 30 or 40 minute durations at a time, walk, more 40 minute sitting, etc, which is too long for someone just starting out I think.

Authentic is something that should be stressed. It is very beneficial to go sit in meditation w/ such a group in your area if you can find one, and even if there isn't, it's worth a trip to one so that you can see what is really going on. If you went to your typical Zen or even Shambhala sits, at first sight you wouldn't think that much was going on! It's simply sitting meditation that focuses on the breath (shamatha meditation, which is Sanskrit for meditation) wherein you sit upright on a cushion on the floor or in a chair, have your eyes open, focus your eyes about 5' in front of you, and simply put your focus on your breath. As your thoughts come up, simply bring your attention mack to your breath, and do this as often as you need to during the sit. There is no wrong way to do it, and when we get lost in our thoughts it's fine, just bring the attention back to focus. There's countless, countless forms of meditation, but this the basic one that the Buddha taught and is really all anyone will probably need. Some groups have adopted something like Mindfulness meditation, which is fine for removing stress and centering yourself, and is similar for sure to this meditation, but doesn't go deep enough in my mind. Buddhism Lite.

There are a LOT of things that scholars get caught up in and attached to in studying the teachings that really have no use for someone that is interested in the practice aspect. All the usual basic stuff is a huge help though, such as the dharma, the teacher and the sangha, along w/ the precepts. It all works together, not apart, and focusing on any one aspect and neglecting the others will not work so well at all. If, like me, at first you can't find an authentic teacher and group nearby, after you have traveled to one that you feel that you connect to (not everyone likes the same flavors of the different lineages, or feels comfortable w/ the teachings), try to sit each day for 20 minutes. If you can do that in the morning and in the evening, that would be ideal. It's a lifelong practice. Totally. At first you may see some rapid advancement from disciplined sitting. Or, maybe not, maybe it takes longer. No big deal. That's the practice, nothing is a Big Deal. It's just life, in all it's various forms. Just the sitting and keeping the precepts will add a lot to your life and lead to more happiness for yourself and others. Don't get too uptight w/ it either. Have some fun. A group that you can be yourself in and joke around with is wonderful for your practice. Keep in mind that true Buddhism is nothing holy, nothing sacred, and Buddha mind is simply everyday mind (once we wake up to it, and cut through our reactive thoughts, ego driven programming, delusions, likes and dislikes, etc). The Buddha was not a god or a lord, although for some strange reason some disciplines refer to that. He was a scientist, a human being, who through great effort discovered a system to wake up, taught it for decades and then died a mortal death. It's about relieving our suffering first, then through compassion and skillful means helping all sentient minds through that compassion. As the Dali Lama says, don't worry about a next life, focus on this life, and don't become a Buddhist. The world doesn't need any more Buddhists, the world needs compassionate people.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:03 AM
Newbie ;)

Thank you for such a thoughtful and thorough response. You've given me much to think about and explore. As for the meditation involving focus on the breath, I tend to feel uncomfortable when I focus on my breath and my anxiety increases, even slight hyperventilation. I don't know why. I'm not sure what form of Buddhism speaks to me at this point. Any suggestions as to how I might decide?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuitive Guy
Thank you for such a thoughtful and thorough response. You've given me much to think about and explore. As for the meditation involving focus on the breath, I tend to feel uncomfortable when I focus on my breath and my anxiety increases, even slight hyperventilation. I don't know why. I'm not sure what form of Buddhism speaks to me at this point. Any suggestions as to how I might decide?

That's perfect right there what you did. You tried something and observed yourself. You observed your anxiety increasing. That is how you proceed. Try stuff and see if it is has a good result or not. If it does, you are on the right path. If it does not, that means it is either the wrong technique or practice for you or you are doing it wrong or understanding it wrong. When you are doing "it" right, anxiety will decrease. Observing yourself is how you know what your true path is. The right path will make you relaxed, selfless, without conflict within and without.

The path really cannot be taught because to understand it requires self knowledge. Nobody can understand you except you. You have to understand yourself. So all teachings really are just fingers pointing at the moon. Teachers are trying to get you to realize truths about yourself.

Like a technique of watching your breath. That really has nothing to do with your breath. The purpose of that technique is different for every one. Really it depends how self aware you are. How much you know about yourself. For example, if someone is a beginner as far as self knowledge, what that technique does it gets them to notice how difficult it is to stay focused on only the breathing because thoughts keep coming. The attention will follow the thoughts and you will forget to watch your breath. Like how you said, you felt anxiety. Were thoughts involved in that feeling? Were you thinking and watching your breath at the same time? Was thought as the "I" the watcher of the breath or did you drop thinking during the technique?

I would suggest something else besides watching your breath. I would suggest going for walks and try to ignore your thoughts as you walk. That is the technique. Whatever pops into your mind, let it go. Focus on the trees, the sidewalk, the light on leaves, the colors of the sky and clouds. Try to stay focused on perception and not on your thoughts. The breeze on your skin, the sound of your shoes on the ground, the sound of birds. Don't think about any of this, just try to ignore whatever is in your mind.

A hint to help with this technique...we always have a ton of thoughts streaming though our minds and most pass through without leaving a mark or holding or grabbing our attention. The thoughts that stick to us and grab us are thoughts that we have a vested interest in. They are important to us for some reason. Usually, they grab us because they are used to create our ego... the person we create with thought...so thoughts that have to do with our story.... our past...our beliefs.... our goals....our habitual thoughts that appears day after day... these are the thoughts we don't ignore.

So related to this practice of walking and trying to ignore all thoughts is the dropping of wanting to be something or someone. If you let go of identifying yourself with whatever your story is, then those thoughts about your past will no longer grab your attention.

It sounds complicated but really it is simple. Talking about it is complicated. Explaining it is complicated. But doing it is simple. It is the middle way. It is not doing something. It is not not doing something. It is just being in the present moment. Free from the past and the future.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWind
That's perfect right there what you did. You tried something and observed yourself. You observed your anxiety increasing. That is how you proceed. Try stuff and see if it is has a good result or not. If it does, you are on the right path. If it does not, that means it is either the wrong technique or practice for you or you are doing it wrong or understanding it wrong. When you are doing "it" right, anxiety will decrease. Observing yourself is how you know what your true path is. The right path will make you relaxed, selfless, without conflict within and without.

The path really cannot be taught because to understand it requires self knowledge. Nobody can understand you except you. You have to understand yourself. So all teachings really are just fingers pointing at the moon. Teachers are trying to get you to realize truths about yourself.

Like a technique of watching your breath. That really has nothing to do with your breath. The purpose of that technique is different for every one. Really it depends how self aware you are. How much you know about yourself. For example, if someone is a beginner as far as self knowledge, what that technique does it gets them to notice how difficult it is to stay focused on only the breathing because thoughts keep coming. The attention will follow the thoughts and you will forget to watch your breath. Like how you said, you felt anxiety. Were thoughts involved in that feeling? Were you thinking and watching your breath at the same time? Was thought as the "I" the watcher of the breath or did you drop thinking during the technique?

I would suggest something else besides watching your breath. I would suggest going for walks and try to ignore your thoughts as you walk. That is the technique. Whatever pops into your mind, let it go. Focus on the trees, the sidewalk, the light on leaves, the colors of the sky and clouds. Try to stay focused on perception and not on your thoughts. The breeze on your skin, the sound of your shoes on the ground, the sound of birds. Don't think about any of this, just try to ignore whatever is in your mind.

A hint to help with this technique...we always have a ton of thoughts streaming though our minds and most pass through without leaving a mark or holding or grabbing our attention. The thoughts that stick to us and grab us are thoughts that we have a vested interest in. They are important to us for some reason. Usually, they grab us because they are used to create our ego... the person we create with thought...so thoughts that have to do with our story.... our past...our beliefs.... our goals....our habitual thoughts that appears day after day... these are the thoughts we don't ignore.

So related to this practice of walking and trying to ignore all thoughts is the dropping of wanting to be something or someone. If you let go of identifying yourself with whatever your story is, then those thoughts about your past will no longer grab your attention.

It sounds complicated but really it is simple. Talking about it is complicated. Explaining it is complicated. But doing it is simple. It is the middle way. It is not doing something. It is not not doing something. It is just being in the present moment. Free from the past and the future.

To observe without thoughts is one of my favourite pastime, how different the world looks when you practise this. No likes or dislikes, no labels or judgement, just as it is...
Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Ascender

Following the basic teachings is a good start. The 5 precepts, the 4 noble truths & the noble 8 fold path.
Dana (generosity ) is also a good habit to cultivate.
Pureland and nichiren use repetitive chanting instead of meditation but some people claim that it is a type of meditation.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuitive Guy
I recently delved into Buddhist teachings. I have long been interested in it, but only dabbled in it over the years. Now, I am meditating and studying the basic teachings. Any feedback, guidance or suggestions?
For meditation, I suggest to join meditation retreat at least once so you know the basic of Buddhism meditation. Join minimum 3 days or 1 week meditation retreat. As far as I know, Zen/Chan/Seon meditation retreat is more strict than Theravada meditation retreat, and you have to follow all the rules or you will be expelled from retreat. Usually in Zen meditation retreat, there was a private session for those who had problems with meditation and prefer asked in personal.

For tradition, you can find which one suit you better. Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana(Tibetan Buddhism). Basically, all were same. If you like theory, Theravada. If you like philosophy, Mahayana.
If you really want learn Buddhism in depth, find a Buddhism teacher and they will guide you within your journey.
Learn slowly and step by step. When your family or friends says that you have changed and become more humble, low profile, wise, ... etc, it means you already succeed in learning Buddhism and you are in the right path.

Btw, pureland has 2 definition. Pureland as tradition and pureland as teaching.

Hope it helps.