Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 30-12-2013, 03:29 AM
jsimons18

Unhappy Having trouble

I've read the Toa Te Ching before, and respect Toaism a ton. But, I'm not very good with "wu wei" and surrendering. I'm not very good at meditation either. I feel as though if I don't think things out and plan then I will fail. I just went through a really bad break up and almost feel like If I went with the flow it could have been a lot smoother. Any advice, and would you say following these practices improved your life substantially or at least eased physiological pains? Thank you.
Old 30-12-2013, 05:03 AM
livingkarma

Wu wei (Chinese: 無爲; a variant and derivatives: traditional Chinese: 無為; simplified Chinese: 无为; pinyin: wú wéi; Japanese: 無為; Korean: 무위; Vietnamese: Vô vi; English, lit. non-doing) is an important concept in Taoism that literally means non-action or non-doing. In the Tao te Ching, Laozi explains that beings (or phenomena) that are wholly in harmony with the Tao behave in a completely natural, uncontrived way. As the planets revolve around the sun, they "do" this revolving, but without "doing" it. As trees grow, they simply grow without trying to grow. Thus knowing how and when to act is not knowledge in the sense that one would think, "now I should do this," but rather just doing it, doing the natural thing. The goal of spiritual practice for the human being is, according to Laozi, the attainment of this natural way of behaving.

I'm not a Taoist, however, I do have the ability to interpret information ...
As w/most people learning something/anything new takes time & practice ...
Wu Wei is no different; it will take lots of study as well as discipline ...
In your case, you're looking for a shortcut to understanding ...
Nothing wrong w/that!

According to the above definition by Wikipedia, the main point to remember in understanding this philosophy is the statement: behave in a natural uncontrived way ...
The flow is in following your feelings & instincts w/out compounding one's emotions by taking unnecessary action(s) - don't make the pain worse or sadness or whatever ...

I just went through a really bad break up and almost feel like If I went with the flow ic could have been a lot smother.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on this statement b/c of the lack of information ...
Did you disagree w/the break up?
Did you blame him for the break up?
What is the definition of going w/the flowin regards to this break up?
Old 30-12-2013, 06:13 PM
jsimons18

Thanks, that definition provides a ton of clarity. It would of helped to stick to my wants and values instead of trying to appease the person I was breaking up with. I just tried to figure out why she was acting like she didn't care about me, which left me with hours of torture. I was just too much in my had and not grounded on how I felt and what I wanted, y'know? Thankyou :)
Old 30-12-2013, 06:15 PM
jsimons18

I'm currently staying in a state of openness right now. I'm just going to stay like this and if doubts start to arise I'll do my best to come back to my center.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Master
What happens is you become openness. It is then that wu Wei will make sense.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Pathfinder

As far as I can see, ALL that is EVER going on is the flow itself. There isn't actually anything or anyone that exists apart from it that can either go against it or with it. The appearance that such separate, limited, autonomously-behaving entities do exist is ONLY an appearance. That is to say, a choicelessly arising illusion and not a reality.

You are the entire flow, and it only ever flows perfectly. Any feeling to the contrary happens only because the illusory appearance is being believed to be an actual fact.

Peace. :)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:09 AM
DivineArchitect

i would say, just keep in that open state and release any doubts. That's what I do whenever I notice them arising. That way you can experience the flow better. Without thinking or doubting that there is any flow going on at all. In regards to your break up, be patient. i know this is a little cliche but: if it's meant to be it will. If not, then there's something better coming your way (as hard as that is to sometimes accept, stay open and then you will be able to see the new opportunity) :)

Personally following these practices has helped my life a lot. I am much more open to new opportunities because what happened in the past isn't holding me back anymore. Losing attachment to what has happened is very important, also losing attachment to what will happen. That doesn't mean doing nothing, it just means doing what you feel is right for you, sometimes this may mean doing nothing and being okay with that. Then when you feel like doing something you will do it with your entire being and not be thinking about something else. When you go through a whole day like that you actually feel a sense of accomplishment with everything you have done because you did it completely and your entire being was doing it. I feel that's what living without regrets is like. And if we do something without putting our entire being into it, that's okay, we just stand up and try again,
I would liken it to juggling. If you beat yourself up about dropping the balls and not being in the flow, you will give up. But if you remain calm and relaxed you will just keep trying, and eventually you will find yourself dropping the balls less and less. That's forgiveness, I feel :)
All the best and keep at it! Yet in a detached manner. New opportunities are as abundant as the stars in the sky. There is 7billionish people on our earth after all!