Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 24-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Master
Here is a thought. A genuine talent is a gift from Nature, God, The Great Spirit, whoever. It is on loan to you, it does not belong to you. If you wish to share this gift, it should be done freely not touted around like cheap jewellery.
Old 24-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Sungirl

Sorry Norsey but I disagree, people have to pay bills. If their talent is in this sort of thing then there is no problem in them charging just like someone who is good at making things out of wood.

I also believe there should be an exchange of energies, the easiest form being money. Someone is giving their time and experience so something equal has to come back. Money is just a formalised representation of someone's time and experience as they have had to work to get it.

However if the item has actually been mass produced or no thought and care given specifically to the client then the amount of money paid should be very small!
Old 24-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Rin

This is a part of a general, sustained and subtle attack against spiritual and natural technologies under the guise of protecting people.
Old 24-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungirl
Sorry Norsey but I disagree, people have to pay bills. If their talent is in this sort of thing then there is no problem in them charging just like someone who is good at making things out of wood.

I also believe there should be an exchange of energies, the easiest form being money. Someone is giving their time and experience so something equal has to come back. Money is just a formalised representation of someone's time and experience as they have had to work to get it.

However if the item has actually been mass produced or no thought and care given specifically to the client then the amount of money paid should be very small!

I think that I was aiming at services, rather than products. Obviously, I would not infer that crafted products should be gifted all the time.
Old 24-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Sungirl

Norsey, what is the difference between me spending 2 hours on a healing and someone spending 2 hours on making something?

Both take training and/or inspiration, time and effort. It's just it's easier to value the end product if you get a "lollipop" to take away.
Old 24-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
This is a part of a general, sustained and subtle attack against spiritual and natural technologies under the guise of protecting people.

But people are able to sell their wares/services in a number of other ways, ebay is just one outlet.
Old 24-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Quintessence

There are many barriers to people being able to charge for metaphysical services, unfortunately. First, I know in Neopagan circles in particular, we have this odd culture that has made it a taboo to charge for any kind of spellwork or instruction as if that "cheapens" it somehow. Second, there are no standards for training for many metaphysical services, so you don't really know what the quality is of the "product" you are receiving. This in turn makes it difficult to price services. Third, although there are segments of the population that accept the idea of magic, many will say this stuff is always a scam no matter what. They either believe it isn't real or it is against their religion. Therefore, it is not worth paying for, ever, and at times is cast as blatantly immoral/evil. Fourth, because of the number of people who have used metaphysical services to scam people, that has soured many to the idea entirely.

Cunning folk and the like in the past were indeed paid for the services, but not necessarily with money. The local Shaman/Witch/whatever was supported by the community so they could serve their role. Why we have such a problem doing this now is... well, I understand it, but I don't understand it. I understand the obstacles, as I've just laid them out. I think it is unfortunate that these obstacles continue to get in the way.
Old 25-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Master
You might want to think about Complementary Medicine. Until lately, most were unregulated and any charlatan could set up practice. Now the more "substantial" ones have adopted recognised training practices, mostly with degree standard, and formal Codes of Practice - many now have chartered status with professional bodies regulating membership. ALL THIS IS A BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR PERSONAL AND THIRD-PARTY INDEMNITY INSURANCES.
There are many people trading as Healers who do not, and will never, achieve these standards. So Caveat Emptor !

This also applies to Spiritual Practices. Why do you think that SF insists on the "For Entertainment Only" disclaimer on Tarot readings ?

I use a lot of Acupuncture from a QUALIFIED practitioner and have refused treatment in acupuncture from my GP because he is not qualified.

Sungirl, I am not getting at you personally but do you have Insurances in place on your healing, and do you have licenced premises ?
Old 25-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungirl
But people are able to sell their wares/services in a number of other ways, ebay is just one outlet.
It is the principle that people are responsible for their own actions which is at stake here.
Old 25-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Second, there are no standards for training for many metaphysical services, so you don't really know what the quality is of the "product" you are receiving.

Here in the UK if you receive good training for healing you are able to get public liability insurance. If someone doesn't have that they won't have taken an accredited course. Although you shouldn't need insurance to do this it is a good sign if you haven't had the healer recommended to you by someone that has been treated by them before.