Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 27-01-2020, 09:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Well, yes. Finding my Self has been a quest over longer than 12 years (probably 18 when I think back) - and I reckon I'm almost there. Even 6 years as a member of SF has seen much happen. It hasn't been what I expected... quite...! Hence the need for openness, honesty, much contemplation and certain practices without which nothing would have happened. So I arrive at a point where it becomes maintenance - mostly. I can't prove even to myself that I've "reached" My Self or how near I am - and obviously the flow will carry me on new excursions but at least the foundation feels ok.

Peace and contentment are nice-to-haves, sure and they have their place. But I don't want to sit still and spiritually vegetate so I'm up for challenge and dealing with admin problems not of my making. We have to be ready to deal with change around us. Equilibrium (or as I prefer to think of it as "steady state") and equanimity are important.

The enlightening was that "spiritual" isn't a compartment of one's life. It isn't something we do. It's what we are. It IS our life. We are spirit in one phase of existence. We live to our highest principles as near as we can. We recognise that no one else has exactly those principles so it's live and let live. No sense going round proselytising our beliefs as if they're worth more than someone else's. We can talk about it but have to leave others to find/follow their own paths. And we have to contend with those who have yet to open their eyes - they far outnumber us.

"The universe" never helped me much, just told me to do my own work! It acts differently for all of us. There were two gurus in my life, notorious for never trying to teach me anything. So they were more like non-gurus but switches. Here are some tools and signposts, they said....now you're on your own. Your path is always your own.

And so it's been....!
:)
Maybe you been looking your lifetime and you just didn't know it. It always seems once you almost find yourself the universe changes things a little. But it only adds to "yourself" that's what I love about it. You grow and evolve. You change. Finding oneself is hopefully never ending in this lifetime. The universe/soul knows no time.
Old 27-01-2020, 09:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Well, yes. Finding my Self has been a quest over longer than 12 years (probably 18 when I think back) - and I reckon I'm almost there. Even 6 years as a member of SF has seen much happen. It hasn't been what I expected... quite...! Hence the need for openness, honesty, much contemplation and certain practices without which nothing would have happened. So I arrive at a point where it becomes maintenance - mostly. I can't prove even to myself that I've "reached" My Self or how near I am - and obviously the flow will carry me on new excursions but at least the foundation feels ok.

Peace and contentment are nice-to-haves, sure and they have their place. But I don't want to sit still and spiritually vegetate so I'm up for challenge and dealing with admin problems not of my making. We have to be ready to deal with change around us. Equilibrium (or as I prefer to think of it as "steady state") and equanimity are important.

The enlightening was that "spiritual" isn't a compartment of one's life. It isn't something we do. It's what we are. It IS our life. We are spirit in one phase of existence. We live to our highest principles as near as we can. We recognise that no one else has exactly those principles so it's live and let live. No sense going round proselytising our beliefs as if they're worth more than someone else's. We can talk about it but have to leave others to find/follow their own paths. And we have to contend with those who have yet to open their eyes - they far outnumber us.

"The universe" never helped me much, just told me to do my own work! It acts differently for all of us. There were two gurus in my life, notorious for never trying to teach me anything. So they were more like non-gurus but switches. Here are some tools and signposts, they said....now you're on your own. Your path is always your own.

And so it's been....!
:)
Double post.
Old 27-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
Maybe you been looking your lifetime and you just didn't know it. It always seems once you almost find yourself the universe changes things a little. But it only adds to "yourself" that's what I love about it. You grow and evolve. You change. Finding oneself is hopefully never ending in this lifetime. The universe/soul knows no time.
I think finding oneself is a constant thing that does not end. Growth can last a whole lifetime, so you are always finding yourself in that, too, changing.
Old 28-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Master
I think that the most important thing is to learn just to trust the process.

The mind can be your best friend or your worst enemy and the Universe is full of lessons which apply to Spiritual progress.

12 years is about how long I have been driving my old 1995 VS Holden Commodore station wagon around. It has been a great car, got me from point A to point B reliably...but for the past few years, she has been beginning to show her age...like the driver of said vehicle. :P

Today, I drove her to the shops (I feminise it because she has her moods), loaded up my groceries...turned the key in the ignition... nothing. This was the first time the car had broken down since I owned it and thankfully, it happened in a parking lot and not in the middle of traffic...so I expressed gratitude to the universe for those small mercies.

Anyway, I had the car towed off to my mechanic and found out she would need a new fuel pump, a new oil filter, a new solenoid in the starter motor..

The car is also due for registration in two months and it will need new tyres, the rear sway bar bracket needs replacing, the pinions on the steering rack needs replacing..

Cosmetically she is falling to pieces...all the door rubbers and ceiling insulation has crumbled into a fine powder, there are rust spots on the roof..the fan don't work, the radio don't work, the horn don't work...

The bill for fixing it is about $2,000 and the car isn't worth it...my poor old car is totally beyond economical repair and I cannot afford another car either right now.

I was so depressed all day, facing the prospect of using public transport for the first time in 30 years because I have always driven a car... cannot imagine what life would be like without a car until I can afford to get another one..and I don't qualify for a loan either because I am on the pension...I was in a really dark place.

Then my brother phoned me and I poured my heart out...woe is I etc..etc..

My brother goes "don't sweat it...your car is ready for that great wrecking yard in the sky....I am amazed it lasted as long as it did... however, your niece just bought a brand new Lantra because she is upgrading from her 2005 Mazda 6...I was just about to put it on eBay but I won't because you can have it...it is worth about 3 grand...it has brand new tires, airbags, air-conditioning, perfect engine, low mileage and 5 months registration... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car...my daughter just wanted a bigger one...it is here whenever you want to come and pick it up..."

So, I learned that I went through all that worry for nothing..

Spirituality is also like this... something has to die...the "letting go" of old habits is very difficult and not knowing what is around the corner is very hard...the mind conjures up all sorts of things...but often, anything is better than what currently is...and the Universe may even surprise you beyond any "best case scenario" that can be imagined.

....and I hope you all enjoyed my analogous tale.
Old 28-01-2020, 10:46 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
One of these days I'm going to find the guy that keeps moving the goalposts, and I'm going to break his legs.
Old 28-01-2020, 11:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
One of these days I'm going to find the guy that keeps moving the goalposts, and I'm going to break his legs.
HAHAHA!
Old 29-01-2020, 06:11 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I think that the most important thing is to learn just to trust the process.

The mind can be your best friend or your worst enemy and the Universe is full of lessons which apply to Spiritual progress.

12 years is about how long I have been driving my old 1995 VS Holden Commodore station wagon around. It has been a great car, got me from point A to point B reliably...but for the past few years, she has been beginning to show her age...like the driver of said vehicle. :P

Today, I drove her to the shops (I feminise it because she has her moods), loaded up my groceries...turned the key in the ignition... nothing. This was the first time the car had broken down since I owned it and thankfully, it happened in a parking lot and not in the middle of traffic...so I expressed gratitude to the universe for those small mercies.

Anyway, I had the car towed off to my mechanic and found out she would need a new fuel pump, a new oil filter, a new solenoid in the starter motor..

The car is also due for registration in two months and it will need new tyres, the rear sway bar bracket needs replacing, the pinions on the steering rack needs replacing..

Cosmetically she is falling to pieces...all the door rubbers and ceiling insulation has crumbled into a fine powder, there are rust spots on the roof..the fan don't work, the radio don't work, the horn don't work...

The bill for fixing it is about $2,000 and the car isn't worth it...my poor old car is totally beyond economical repair and I cannot afford another car either right now.

I was so depressed all day, facing the prospect of using public transport for the first time in 30 years because I have always driven a car... cannot imagine what life would be like without a car until I can afford to get another one..and I don't qualify for a loan either because I am on the pension...I was in a really dark place.

Then my brother phoned me and I poured my heart out...woe is I etc..etc..

My brother goes "don't sweat it...your car is ready for that great wrecking yard in the sky....I am amazed it lasted as long as it did... however, your niece just bought a brand new Lantra because she is upgrading from her 2005 Mazda 6...I was just about to put it on eBay but I won't because you can have it...it is worth about 3 grand...it has brand new tires, airbags, air-conditioning, perfect engine, low mileage and 5 months registration... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car...my daughter just wanted a bigger one...it is here whenever you want to come and pick it up..."

So, I learned that I went through all that worry for nothing..

Spirituality is also like this... something has to die...the "letting go" of old habits is very difficult and not knowing what is around the corner is very hard...the mind conjures up all sorts of things...but often, anything is better than what currently is...and the Universe may even surprise you beyond any "best case scenario" that can be imagined.

....and I hope you all enjoyed my analogous tale.

That’s so beautiful and insightful and wise, SD.

And how generous and kind and thoughtful of your brother.

What a beautiful tale, and take.

Thank you for Sharing Your Light Unto This world and floating space on the internet, Diane.

Namaste

Jl