Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 21-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Spirited

Metal and Dark Music

Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music? I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions.

Spirited
Old 21-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Master
Hmm, I never gave it much thought really.
I like a wide variety of music, so I don't get bogged down with the same type all the time. I've always liked anything you can dance to mainly.

I think too much of anything can be depressing and dampening of a good mood and attitude.

Old 22-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Suspended
The only time I've liked "hard" music - was when I went through a rebellious stage as a teen & when I'm in a bad mood (which incidentally is at the moment)... It helps to empathize with my feelings but then I soon prefer something more happy, like you mentioned.

Just the other day, I heard about an experiment with water crystals & plants... after being exposed to heavy metal music, the plants didn't do as well & the crystals were significantly different... compared to "happier" music & positivity. Sorry, I don't know the source, but you could google it.

Beethoven actually has some good music, IMO, to empathize with anger & then bring me back to a more peaceful place/feeling... esp. 9th...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOTCtW9v0M
Old 22-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Sangress

I'm an avid metal fan. I love the strength and passionate emotions and raw truth expressed in that music.

I've always found that it heightens my mood, rather than lowering it.

Though I do find listening to bands that are too similar, the same bands....etc to be a bit of a drag because it doesn't envoke the same emotions/reactions I usually have to the music. It's basically a killjoy.

I think variety and finding new artists/bands is the key if you want to continue to enjoy music and have positive reactions to it.

As for it being complimentary to a spiritual life....hmm. IMO anything done for leasure changes emotions and emotions colour perceptions. Perceptions are what shape our understanding of spiritual experiences.

So, I think, depending on the individual, Metal music can effect your spiritual perceptions if you are listning, or thinking of it, while thinking about or performing spiritual actions.

Though I do have one question....why is it considered to be "Dark" music?
Old 22-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Spirited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective
The only time I've liked "hard" music - was when I went through a rebellious stage as a teen & when I'm in a bad mood (which incidentally is at the moment)... It helps to empathize with my feelings but then I soon prefer something more happy, like you mentioned.

Just the other day, I heard about an experiment with water crystals & plants... after being exposed to heavy metal music, the plants didn't do as well & the crystals were significantly different... compared to "happier" music & positivity. Sorry, I don't know the source, but you could google it.

Beethoven actually has some good music, IMO, to empathize with anger & then bring me back to a more peaceful place/feeling... esp. 9th...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOTCtW9v0M

That experiment sounds interesting I'll certainly look it up. I will listen to that link in a bit - thanks for sharing! I agree with what you said about your mood seemingly determine what you listened to, I've found that to be the case with me also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
I'm an avid metal fan. I love the strength and passionate emotions and raw truth expressed in that music.

I've always found that it heightens my mood, rather than lowering it.

Though I do find listening to bands that are too similar, the same bands....etc to be a bit of a drag because it doesn't envoke the same emotions/reactions I usually have to the music. It's basically a killjoy.

I think variety and finding new artists/bands is the key if you want to continue to enjoy music and have positive reactions to it.

As for it being complimentary to a spiritual life....hmm. IMO anything done for leasure changes emotions and emotions colour perceptions. Perceptions are what shape our understanding of spiritual experiences.

So, I think, depending on the individual, Metal music can effect your spiritual perceptions if you are listning, or thinking of it, while thinking about or performing spiritual actions.

Though I do have one question....why is it considered to be "Dark" music?

I agree with that, good post - always interesting to see others opinions.

I don't consider it to be "Dark" myself, but I referenced that as many other forums I have seen this discussion on have had many users (mainly Christian) saying how Metal is "Dark" despite of the lyrics. Not that I agree with that though. I think they refer to artists such as Marilyn Manson maybe who would seem to be Satanist or into Devil worship maybe. Not sure! Not my views though.
Old 22-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Master
Not much of a fan of "new" metal but I do still go with Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Motorhead, Zep, and the like - but mostly in the car. Despite being "apparently" spiritual, the beast still comes out in my Beemer with the stereo cranked high. Lately tho, a new element has come in with Inkubus Sukkubus - good Brit Witchy rock !
As you may have gathered, I am an embarassment to my daughter. I just tell her that I have reached the age of Irresponsibility .
Old 22-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Gracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music? I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions.

Spirited

i have gone throught the same thing recently. use to love heavy metal, now it makes me feel yucky and i now prefer indian flute music or any calm music with out words. i think i finally got out of my rebelious stage. smile.
Old 22-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Master
Maiden is one of my favourite bands. Like some Metallica. Sepultura in small doses, newer Tool, earlier Nightwish, Monster Magnet, Sabbath was good but don't listen to it that often. Liked Guns n Roses like everyone else at the time.. but yeah. I agree with many of the above, it was sort of a phase. Lately i've been into downtempo electronica, and mellower, more uplifting kinds of music.

I will listen to Maiden sometimes still. It depends on my mood. I can't listen to metal for too long though at a time. But that is just me.

Have gotten into some really good drum n bass, which i sometimes think of as the heavy metal of electronic music lol especially some of the grimier whoppier stuff which i can also only handle so much of.

I think a big part of it has to do with harmony. I need a melody of some sort not just repetitive violent thrashing sounds. Like a bit of harmony with the rhythm, something little more subtle and soothing sometimes.
Old 22-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Sungirl

I posted a similar thread before the crash.

I too listen to heavy metal (along with lots of other genres)

I think it depends on the music. I realised about 18 months ago that a lot of what I call "emo music" (My Dying Bride, Bullet for my Valentine etc) has chords in it that actually brings my mood down.

I will say, I know very little about the technical side of music.. that's my soul sis's forte... but she did say that "minor chords" are the ones that are used in music that expresses sadness.. and if you listen to the emo music there is a lot of this.. this means that in listening to it your mood is lowered.. made me wonder if all these kids that are self harming and in a mess are actually making it worse by listening to this stuff.

Paradoxically the heavier faster stuff (Disturbed, SiOL etc) has more upbeat chords and actually enlivens me. When I come out of a "wallowing so much I can't listen to music" phase I find this stuff cheers me up.

I also think it depends on the lyrics.. I like lyrics that aren't connected to emotions.. bands like Monster Magnet and Terrorvision write very random music, about aliens or funny stuff.. this is going to help my mood much more than listening to songs about death and hate.

Proof of this (to me anyway) is the english folk genre... when I was in a bad place I listened to Kate Rusby a LOT.. it's all about unrequited love, lovers that couldn't be together, cheating lovers, lovers dying... all that stuff, and I loved it... when I was in a happier place I found that listening to it just made me feel worse... and not an electric instrument in sight!!!!

I also, personally dislike "empty music".. songs about love that have just been churned out because they sell... they could sound high vibrational, and have lovely sentiments but because the intention when they were written was "just write another love song" they are totally ineffectual.

Another interesting example is a band called Ministry.... they are an industrial band and in their time considered VERY heavy and VERY dark sounding.. but they were writing about environmental issues, human rights, how the american government were getting it soo wrong. It sounded very bad, but it was actually quite important stuff they were saying.

So, yes.. I think there is an energy to music that can affect us... but I don't think that any one genre can be said to have a negative effect. I used to worry about what I listenend to when.... now I listen to what I like but be aware of whether it is having a negative effect on me at that time.

An interesting note is, I have an 8Gb mp3 player with about 1400 tracks on it and I play them on random... they range from pure folk to industrial through some silly stuff, pop, metal, goth, techno (and if I could fit it on baroque classical too) and I swear it knows what mood I am in... it has no special programmes that group songs together but at times it will play mellow stuff when I need to chill and will play mental stuff when I need to bounce!!!!
Old 22-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
Maiden is one of my favourite bands. Like some Metallica. Sepultura in small doses, newer Tool, earlier Nightwish, Monster Magnet, Sabbath was good but don't listen to it that often. Liked Guns n Roses like everyone else at the time.. but yeah. I agree with many of the above, it was sort of a phase. Lately i've been into downtempo electronica, and mellower, more uplifting kinds of music.

I will listen to Maiden sometimes still. It depends on my mood. I can't listen to metal for too long though at a time. But that is just me.

Have gotten into some really good drum n bass, which i sometimes think of as the heavy metal of electronic music lol especially some of the grimier whoppier stuff which i can also only handle so much of.

Can you maybe recomend some D&B? I love Prodigy but also love Metallica (And Justice) Tool (10000 Days), Monster Magnet (saw them saturday.. love the 3 albums before Megalithic Baby), Sepultura (Arise).... I have a feeling I would like D&B if only I could find some that actually has some real drums and some base... not high pitched fast winy stuff!