Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 06-03-2017, 04:48 AM
Guide

I have a friend whose nephew had an anger problem at school. They diverted him into some hardcore martial arts training. Today, a few years later he is the world champion in his discipline and his family is very proud of him and the person he had become.
That is an example of the effectiveness of a training and practice. Making a real and measurable change in people's life.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
I have a friend whose nephew had an anger problem at school. They diverted him into some hardcore martial arts training. Today, a few years later he is the world champion in his discipline and his family is very proud of him and the person he had become.
That is an example of the effectiveness of a training and practice. Making a real and measurable change in people's life.
Actually that does not appear to be 'a real change'. People are like this, aren't they?

Basically it is about doing ... there is time and this time may be spent with doing something. If first one did this and then one is doing that then there is change. So whatever one did before one started to meditate one will do something different when meditating. 'doing something different when meditating' may be called 'change', right? And it is measurable, too.
Now what is real change? The way you are applying the word 'real' seems to express merely your personal preference. There are as many personal preferences as there are people.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Guide

Real change is when something changes in everyday life, outside the training, be that martial arts, meditation, journaling, prayer, or whatever one's practice is.
If it doesn't make us better every day human beings in some way what is the point of a practice?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Real change is when something changes in everyday life, outside the training, be that martial arts, meditation, journaling, prayer, or whatever one's practice is.
If it doesn't make us better every day human beings in some way what is the point of a practice?

Expectations are the antithesis of meditation, the less you expect the more you gain.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Expectations are the antithesis of meditation, the less you expect the more you gain.
Specific expectations yes. General expectations as I have formulated it no.

How much time do you spend on your activity without absolutely no expectation whatsoever?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
I leave the purpose of your practice up to you
Old 06-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Specific expectations yes. General expectations as I have formulated it no.

How much time do you spend on your activity without absolutely no expectation whatsoever?

I expect nothing, it's enough to want to do something without wanting something in return.
If you expect something you open yourself up to disappointment, best to try and if you get some results thats a bonus
But of course we are all different.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I expect nothing, it's enough to want to do something without wanting something in return.
If you expect something you open yourself up to disappointment, best to try and if you get some results thats a bonus
But of course we are all different.
We know from psychology that everything we do, everything, we only do because there is a payoff.
You can deny this. I suggest you meditate on it.
You might get a result.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
I leave the purpose of your practice up to you
Sure, the standard new age evasion to sit on the fence and not to commit - not even yourself.
Is it any wonder that there are no visible benefits?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Master
Quote:
We know from psychology that everything we do, everything, we only do because there is a payoff.
You can deny this. I suggest you meditate on it.
You might get a result.

Not true....
Use the mind of possibilities instead of the mind of expectations

Buddha calls the expectation mind the ' Wanting mind ' you can meditate on that also..