Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 12-09-2021, 02:15 AM
Newbie ;)

One, Two, Three

TTC Ch. 42 (Feng, English)

The Tao begot one.
One begot two.
Two begot three.
And three begot the ten thousand things.

This paragraph confused me for many years. Only when I began to study the I Ching did this fall into place since the above is referring to change.

Tao can be thought of as absolute potential. Within potential all things are possible but nothing is actual.

The expression "Tao begot one" means that from this potential an actuality was formed. A "thing", so to speak. But this "thing" was not complete in the real sense. It was somewhat abstract, like a thought-form. This can be expressed as a single, unbroken line:

-----

The expression "One begot two" means that this actuality, this thought-form, produced a second, different thought-form. But, like the first it was still abstract. The second form can be represented by a broken line:

-- --

The expression "Two begot three" introduces the concept of change. Change is how one thing transforms into another. We can express this concept with two lines, one above the other. For example:

-----
-----

or

-- --
-----

Here we have the idea of a solid, firm item remaining solid and firm or a solid, firm item changing (yielding).

The concept of change is also semi-abstract, but it introduces the missing and needed element to manifest potential into reality, which brings us to the last line: And three begot the ten thousand things.

Ten thousand things is shorthand for "everything." This says that change begot all things, and is the complete expression of Tao.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by yasha : 12-09-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Master
The Tao gave birth to the Universe (One) which gives rise to Yin and Yang (Two), whose interaction creates Energy/Qi (Three) from which comes Everything (Ten Thousand Things).
Old 12-09-2021, 02:18 PM
TTC=Tao Te Ching for those people new to this.
A book by Lao Tzu

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 12-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The Tao gave birth to the Universe (One) which gives rise to Yin and Yang (Two), whose interaction creates Energy/Qi (Three) from which comes Everything (Ten Thousand Things).

This is also a good way to express it. Often Yin and Yang are noted as broken (-- --) or solid (-----) lines, and Qi is energy in motion, which is a form of change, so I think you and I are in agreement.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasha
This is also a good way to express it. Often Yin and Yang are noted as broken (-- --) or solid (-----) lines, and Qi is energy in motion, which is a form of change, so I think you and I are in agreement.

Yes Yin is broken and Yang solid.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Master

if things exist, that is one. If those things start wondering about non-existance, that is two. The gate between those two things make three. And it progresses from there...