Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Master
The major religions sharing their teachings.

Do you think there will ever come a time when the major religions will share their teachings?

Each religion at the moment upholds that it is the ultimate truth. With very little tolerance and acceptance of other religions version of the truth.

How will the major religions ever climb down from their pedestle and accept the other versions of the truth?

Will it ever happen I wonder.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Master
I think mystics often partake of the truths and teachings of each others' faiths anyway Though in part this was historically limited by avaiability of texts and translations.

I really hope that more texts from all traditions become available in "major" lingua francas (such as English, etc).

Perhaps this position will involve more a reframing of certain positions, rather than a denial of whatever is currently believed within a tradition...

Mainly, it requires an emphasis on shared truths and universal humanistic teachings...and above all, on tolerance and respect for differences...yes...I believe you have to respect differences if you're going to come to a common ground...

But you're right...the time has come...
Old 16-11-2010, 03:52 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Do you think there will ever come a time when the major religions will share their teachings?

Each religion at the moment upholds that it is the ultimate truth. With very little tolerance and acceptance of other religions version of the truth.

How will the major religions ever climb down from their pedestle and accept the other versions of the truth?

I don't think so.
From their perspective the claim to have the only true truth is essential, and it is for us too.
Others may have some of the truth, but having some of the truth only is as useful as being partly alive. Every person needs to be fully alive, and know the total truth.

If each religion holds the full truth what would the distinguishing features be? Why would one chose one over the other?

To 'equalise' all religions as in them agreeing that they all have the full truth would have serious consequences in terms of stunting personal and spiritual growth. It would be 10 steps backwards.

Every religion has aspects which are difficult or incomprehensible to us. If they are all the same I will simply move on to one which looks the most comfortable to me, and then to the next one, and the next one, etc.
In terms of personal development this is a recipe for a disaster.

Interfaith is a good device to keep the excesses at bay. We should leave it at that. Be nice and civilized with each other, but admitting that you have an equal measure of truth, no way!
Old 16-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
I don't think so.
From their perspective the claim to have the only true truth is essential, and it is for us too.
Others may have some of the truth, but having some of the truth only is as useful as being partly alive. Every person needs to be fully alive, and know the total truth.

If each religion holds the full truth what would the distinguishing features be? Why would one chose one over the other?

To 'equalise' all religions as in them agreeing that they all have the full truth would have serious consequences in terms of stunting personal and spiritual growth. It would be 10 steps backwards.

Every religion has aspects which are difficult or incomprehensible to us. If they are all the same I will simply move on to one which looks the most comfortable to me, and then to the next one, and the next one, etc.
In terms of personal development this is a recipe for a disaster.

Interfaith is a good device to keep the excesses at bay. We should leave it at that. Be nice and civilized with each other, but admitting that you have an equal measure of truth, no way!

That is quite a radical and totally politically incorrect point of view!

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 16-11-2010, 08:32 AM
supernova

Today I think religions need to be put through a sieve since there are not only humanely good things some spiritually debilitating and debasing elements in religions. For instance in Hindu scriptures there are some slokas in Sanskrit wherein females are subjected to humiliations and in like manner in Christianity too females' roles and identities are sidelined and there are so many things in other religions too and as such we can remove bad things from religions and keep or preserve universal values

And of course there are good things as well. The Mahabharata is a great book in Hinduism and the world has to learn a lot from it and so is the Bible.
Old 16-11-2010, 08:37 AM
pre-dawn

But apart from that you agree?
(sorry the editor plays up again. Can only insert text at the beginning of the message.

Quote:
That is quite a radical and totally politically incorrect point of view!
Old 24-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Master
[quote=Honza]Do you think there will ever come a time when the major religions will share their teachings? %3
Old 24-11-2010, 03:47 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents
Do you think there will ever come a time when the major religions will share their teachings? %3
And the reason for repeating Honza's original question is ....?
Old 28-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Apex Vega

I experience a great interreligious awakening at the moment. And i do not mean the new-age movements mixing of different convenient aspects. But that there is serious dialogue between its most serious practisioners.

Check this out:

Thomas Keating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0QKu...eature=related

A very good site to explore if you are interested in this.
http://www.monasticdialog.com/a.php?id=439

Enjoy, brother and sisters
Old 20-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Ascender
Quote:

Do not think it will happen and if it does the odds are less than 1% in my opinion. It seams like more people nowadays are trying to learn about other religions, but few cross over and accept all the religions as being equal.