Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 14-12-2010, 01:28 AM
seeker of wisdom

thoth deck

Hello I just started seriously working with tarot. I have the thoth deck and it has 3 magician cards. Am I supposed to use all 3 in a reading. If so why do you use all 3 in this deck when other decks only have one?
Old 14-12-2010, 02:03 AM
Master
Hi seeker. No, you are not supposed to use all three, just pick the one that you like best. I have a thoth deck too. I believe that they couldn't decide on which one to go with, as the woman who painted the cards for Crowley did more than one version for many of them i believe, magician included.

No, definitely do not use all three magicians in there though. I used my other two for bookmarks. May have switched one of them for another for awhile, though i can't remember, it has been years since i've looked at the deck.

Last edited by Deusdrum : 14-12-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 14-12-2010, 09:20 PM
seeker of wisdom

thanks

Thanks deusdrum for the clarification. I used the deck with all magicians included and it did seem a bit confusing when two came up in one reading. Do you have any other insights into using this deck?
Old 14-12-2010, 09:43 PM
arive nan

I recommend reading the Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley, as well as Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette. I don't mean to scare you away, but the Thoth deck is widely consider to be the most difficult to master of them all. It's the only one I like to use though. I think it's worth the effort.
Old 15-12-2010, 01:56 AM
seeker of wisdom

book of thoth

Thanks for the recommendation arive nan. I will definately try to find a copy. Why would this deck be more difficult to master than any other deck?
Old 15-12-2010, 02:50 AM
arive nan

Crowley put a lot of symbolism in each card, but many of the meanings are not obvious. They relate to myths from a wide variety of religions, the practices of the OTO (a secret society), and sometimes you need to have a good understanding of the Tree of Life to really understand a card's meaning. It is possible to try to use the deck intuitively and just take impressions from the image on the cards, but this deck doesn't make that easy in my opinion.
Old 15-12-2010, 05:56 AM
seeker of wisdom

Well I guess I chose a good deck. I am study the golden dawn system which works off the tree of life. I read israel regardies tree of life book and some of his other works. Thanks again.
Old 17-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Master
Id give you some advice seeker, but i really was not too good with tarot for whatever reason, i spent awhile doing readings on myself, meditating upon the cards for a time, then kind of gave it up.

Good luck with the deck though, they are really beautiful cards, some of them.

Maybe do a search on the deck, i seem to remember there being some good resources on the internet; one site had a collection of card interpretations from people who used the Thoth deck. Another one took each of the major arcana, and compared it to a specific iching reading. Worth looking around a bit anyways.
Old 17-12-2010, 06:37 AM
seeker of wisdom

ThAnks for the advice