Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM
MissKate

Tarot Decks

Hi, everyone!

I have a few tarot decks, but they all have one thing in common; the minor arcana are all unreadable without the book. By that, I mean that they are so plain (e.g. just three cups on a coloured background or five wands, etc), that I can't possibly read from them without the book unless I memorise everything in the book. If I did that, it wouldn't feel like I was 'reading' the cards at all.

This is relatively new for me. I've been relying on the books for years now and it's only recently occurred to me that I'm not actually 'reading' the cards - I'm reading the book! I've been working on short readings using only the major arcana, and I've decided to start shopping around for a new deck.

This brings me to the point of my post. I was wondering if anyone can suggest names of tarot decks that have 'readable' illustrations on the minor arcana cards? I know a great website that shows images of the decks, but there are just so many to go through that it's a bit overwhelming. I'm hoping that some of you might know the names of some tarot decks that fit my needs, so that I can do further research and choose one.

Thank you in advance!

Kate x
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Lostgirl

I have the Gilded Tarot deck and they are beautiful! Take a look and see what you think :) x
Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Master
Suggest also a look at Sacred Circle.

Also, have a look in www.aeclectictarot.com lots and lots of different decks in there
Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
MissKate

I've had my eye on the Gilded Tarot set, so that might just be the one.

Thanks, norseman, I'll check out the Scared Circle too. Thank you for the link - I guess I should have looked there first, right? ;)

I really like the artwork on the Deviant Moon set, but I think it's a bit dark and possibly too distracting. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/deviant-moon/ Any thoughts/experiences with that one?

Thanks for you input. Much appreciated x
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
arive nan

I know several people who like to use the Maroon Tarot. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/maroon/

It has a lot of very inspiring imagery.

I know someone who sometimes uses the Deviant Moon deck. To me it seems like a deck that you would use when in certain moods or when asking about certain kinds of questions, rather than one to use regularly for any mood or any question.

I mostly use the Thoth deck, and I started with the Rider-Waite. So I have had to memorize the meanings in large part or work with what impressions I could get from what is at times very simple imagery. I don't have a lot of experience with other decks.

I recommend learning about the Tree of Life and the numerology behind the minor arcana, as well as what the elements of the different suits represent. It is useful stuff to know, so that you can understand where the meanings of tarot cards are coming from, even if you will still rely mostly on the imagery of the card.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
MissKate

Thanks for your advice arive nan :)

I've ordered the Gilded Tarot set so I'll see how I go with that one. It's a bit of a coincidence that you advised learning the numerology and suit meanings - I actually spent a couple of hours earlier this afternoon reading up on it and suddenly it doesn't seem so complicated, lol.

Thank you again for your input. I've listed the others mentioned in case I don't get along with the Gilded set.

Kate x