Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 15-10-2010, 01:28 AM
MoonWalker

I can do it!

Hello Everybody (:

I know it is going to be hard, but I am very good at taking on challenges and sticking with them. I'm becoming a vegan. The hardest part will to actually find the food since we don't have many supermarkets around my town haha. I also need to find out what to look out for on labels of stuff that I am allowed to eat just to make sure something non-vegan isnt in there. I'm ready to cleanse my body mind and spirit!! If anyone has any advice or tips or anything of that sort please feel free to private message me or just reply on here, thanks !!
Old 15-10-2010, 05:03 AM
White Wolf

MoonWalker, firstly, welcome to the vegan club.

May I suggest to you that becoming a vegan really is as hard - or easy - as you make it. It's largely a matter of attitude.

I live in a small town, so there are no vegan restaurants / convenience foods available here, either. Do you have a garden and/or a good green grocer nearby? I'd recommend a good, basic vegan cookbook - unless you are really into cooking already. (I only cook because I like to eat from time to time, and the kitchen came with the house...)

Think of lots of fresh fruit and vegetables; grains, lentils, etc; rice, pasta; soy or almond or rice "milk" is available most places. I eat a lot of tofu. And I love coconut cream - which is actually very healthy for vegans as it is the only vegetable source of saturated fat, which humans need a little of for good health.

Check labels for milk and eggs! It's incredible how many products contain them! And I've seen canned vegetable soups made with beef or chicken stock. If you like mayonnaise, the low-fat types usually don't have eggs or milk in them.

Good luck.

White Wolf.
Old 15-10-2010, 05:16 AM
Master
A vegetarian diet much healthier and more fun, thats what I found anyhow.
Old 15-10-2010, 06:51 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
A vegetarian diet much healthier and more fun, thats what I found anyhow.

I wish that were true for all I attempted to switch some years back. Not for health reasons, but purely for love of the animals. I even had a bumper sticker on my car that read "I love animals... I don't eat them!" Unfortunately, my cholosterol count, which had been in the healthy normal range before hand, shot sky high after three years of a strict vegan diet!! I could not understand how this could be and queried my doctor about it. I was eating NO ANIMAL fat in ANY form!! How, I asked him, could my levels jump to such an alarmingly high number??! His response was that everyone needs a small amount of cholesterol, and also that some people's body's manufacture it. He said in those rare cases, if the person eliminates it completely from their diet, what happens is the body goes nuts and produces it in vastly larger amounts than are needed! I said, "So what's the solution then?" His response? "You have to go back to eating moderate amounts of meat and animal fat." I did not want to hear that, and let me tell you, it was HARD to go back! I gagged the first several times I had to injest animal flesh, literally repulsed! Eventually I acclimated, and the follow up blood test revealed my cholesterol levels had begun to drop. After another two years of eating a (so-called) "normal" and balanced diet, the levels were back where they belonged. The long and the short of it is, vegan (or even vegetarian) diets are not healthy for all
Old 15-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Pathfinder

Hi MoonWalker

You have already done the hardest part - which is making the decision to be vegan . Yes a lot of processed foods seem to have milk/eggs as ingredients -
the best way is to cook from scratch so you know exactly what you are eating .
I went vegan about 11/2 years ago (I was veggie 20+ years ) I feel like I have a new relationship with food - I really enjoy trying new ingredients and recipes.
I wish you all the best , you might find your body needs an adjustment period
(approx 4 weeks) as it gets used to not having certain foods.
Old 15-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightFilledHeart
I wish that were true for all I attempted to switch some years back. Not for health reasons, but purely for love of the animals. I even had a bumper sticker on my car that read "I love animals... I don't eat them!" Unfortunately, my cholosterol count, which had been in the healthy normal range before hand, shot sky high after three years of a strict vegan diet!! I could not understand how this could be and queried my doctor about it. I was eating NO ANIMAL fat in ANY form!! How, I asked him, could my levels jump to such an alarmingly high number??! His response was that everyone needs a small amount of cholesterol, and also that some people's body's manufacture it. He said in those rare cases, if the person eliminates it completely from their diet, what happens is the body goes nuts and produces it in vastly larger amounts than are needed! I said, "So what's the solution then?" His response? "You have to go back to eating moderate amounts of meat and animal fat." I did not want to hear that, and let me tell you, it was HARD to go back! I gagged the first several times I had to injest animal flesh, literally repulsed! Eventually I acclimated, and the follow up blood test revealed my cholesterol levels had begun to drop. After another two years of eating a (so-called) "normal" and balanced diet, the levels were back where they belonged. The long and the short of it is, vegan (or even vegetarian) diets are not healthy for all
Yes I agree LightFilledHeart but all you had to do was go back to the vegetarian diet which includes eggs, cheese, milk and other animal products, with this diet no animal had to die and you get your cholesterol that your body needs.
Old 16-10-2010, 12:24 AM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Yes I agree LightFilledHeart but all you had to do was go back to the vegetarian diet which includes eggs, cheese, milk and other animal products, with this diet no animal had to die and you get your cholesterol that your body needs.

Actually I thought of that and asked about it! My doctor said that would not be sufficient a, unless I ate large amounts of cheese and butter and eggs, which I do not. And actually while it is true that the animals that are used in the production of those products are not slaughtered for meat consumption, it's no secret they are treated extremely inhumanely and have quite terrible lives, so I would not feel a good deal better. What I do now is bless and thank the spirit of the animal who gave its life for me before ingesting any flesh (and I eat only small amounts of it), much in the same way Native Americans used to do with the animals they killed for food and survival. That gives me peace.
Old 21-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Master
Quote:

Yes, it's a perfect Middle Path imo.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:35 PM
cheeky_monkey

This thread has really inspired me. I've known for a long time eating meat is wrong, well atleast for me. Would it be ok to say eat meat once a month once I've prayed for the soul of the animal? Sorry to interupt your thread, but i found it really inspiring, especially the title.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:52 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Yes, it's a perfect Middle Path imo.

Everyone does what feels true and right from within, I suppose, and that's as it should be. As I said, I am at peace with my choice