Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 20-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Bertha

Soy/tofu

I am confused about what the difference in soy and tofu are, and why some people advice not to eat it. Anyone care to elaborate?

Recently I became a vegetarian-wanna-be (I eat fish), and since I run 7 km 3 times a week, I want to make sure I get enough protein, so I eat tofu a couple of times a week.
Also recently I found out I was menopausal due to suddenly having hotflashes. I then did some research on how to eliminate those uncomfortable conditions that often come with menopause. Eating about 70-80 gram tofu a day was suggested.
Japanese women hardly experience any discomfort at menopause, and reseachers think it is due to their intake on tofu.
Old 20-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Distortedsoundz

Tofu, aka "bean curd" is made from soybeans, you can make a lot of things out of the soybean, it is one versatile little bean, that is for sure.

Soy has been proven alleviate some of the symptoms of menopause. My mother also took black cohosh and evening primrose oil. They worked a miracle on her apparently.
Old 21-12-2011, 03:02 AM
DebbyM

Hi Bertha,

Maybe I can answer a couple questions regarding soy for you.

Soy is a general name for the soy bean plant which is made into all kinds of products including soy milk and tofu. At the present time there is conflicting advice on whether or not soy is actually a good thing to eat or not.

Unless any soy product is labelled organic, you know that it is probably genetically modified and that a herbicide called Roundup was probably sprayed on the plant liberally while it was growing. So right there you have issues with most soy foods. Best advice here for you then, is to only use organic tofu.

And here is the other reason tofu is dicey. The thyroid gland needs iodine to function (some doctors are beginning to think that we are pretty much all seriously deficient in iodine by the way). Soy has an element called goitrogens and those goitrogens inhibit your thyroid from taking up iodine which is then impaired in how it functions. The growing levels of deficiency in iodine has resulted in a growing number of people, particularly women who have malfunctioning thyroid glands as well as a number of other modern-day issues like breast cancer to name one.

Among other things, could the loss of iodine in our diets, combined with an upsurge in soy product usage explain why 8 out of 10 women are thought to have thyroid disfunction? Maybe in time some of these issues will be clairified. At this point, my readings seem to indicate that tofu shouldn't be a daily food.

Hope that is the sort of information you were looking for. Gives you something to think about anyway.
Old 21-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Master
You can overcome the thyroid deficiency by either using sea vegetables in diet or taking a kelp capsule.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:35 AM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
You can overcome the thyroid deficiency by either using sea vegetables in diet or taking a kelp capsule.

That is something that I've been reading might be a possibility. Currently the RDI dosage is suggested as being less than 100 mcg but a number of doctors are suggesting that 12 to 20 milligrams is better and those numbers are what they've been using in their practises. Mind you, the vehicle that they are suggesting is a product called Lugol's supplement.

The one thing that makes this a supplement experiment to try VERY CAREFULLY, is that too much iodine can send your thyroid in the other direction and the prospect of a goiter (large and visible swelling in the throat)developing makes me just a teeny bit nervous.

Making adjustments like this really should be done only when a doctor is on board with 'checking' your TSH (or is it T3?) levels during the process.

I'm definitely going to do more reading on the issue, that's for sure because the health improvement and protection against breast cancer is desirable (if it's true we need more).
Old 25-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Bertha

Thanks very much for the info, Debbie:)
Old 26-02-2012, 04:40 PM
mrsdraper

As the others have said Soy is the bean, you can actually buy soy beans.

If you want to increase protein, do you eat beans as well? I looked at my protein intake last week (am a vegan runner) and in each meal I eat either tofu or bean based (mixed bean chilli, chickpea and veg curry, tofu faijta's etc) along side nuts for snacks, and wholemeal rice and pasta and usually bagels for breakfast. My protein came out higher than the recommended.

Check out Tempeh in your local health food shop as well, its made from Soy but is less processed than Tofu and holds it shape well when marinating and makes fab veggie burgers and is high in protein.
Old 26-02-2012, 04:44 PM
mrsdraper

p.s. all the tofu I can easily buy - supermarkets, health food shops is organic.
I've never understood the panic over tofu, meat contains so many hormones and nasties that its no better. I guess eating chicken one day, beef the next - is a variation than just eating tofu each day. Vary it up with tempeh and different beans :)
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Master
Tofu or soy products should be taken in moderation. Many of the tofu and soy products are processed and are not good for us. My parents have been vegans for many years. Their recent blood and urine samples showed up high levels of uric acid, byproducts of purines. They were told to cut back on the tofu/soy products.

The Japanese woman mainly eat fermented tofu products, fish, and plenty of vegetables and fruits. The tofu are eaten in small amounts. I believe a high fiber, eating different types of foods in moderation is the key to better health.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Lodewijkp

soy containts phyto-acids which actually interfere with the absorption of nutrients. you are far better of eating fermented soy like tempeh.. it doesn't contain the same phytochemicals because of the fermentation process.

soy is not a health food...

eating GMO soy is a terrible descision...

virgin ( cold pressed ) coconut oil is excellent
you can also try Vitex agnus-castus