Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

View Poll Results: Which do you have Faith in ?
Pantheism 6 35.29%
Panentheism 7 41.18%
Neither 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Tysklar

Pantheism/Panentheism

''Pantheism is the view that the Universe (Nature) and God (or Divinity) are identical. The word derives from the Ancient Greek: πᾶν (pan) meaning "all" and θεός (theos) meaning "God". As such, Pantheism denotes the idea that "God" is best seen as a process of relating to the Universe.[2] Although there are divergences within Pantheism, the central ideas found in almost all versions are the Cosmos as an all-encompassing unity and the sacredness of Nature.

Panentheism (from Greek πᾶν (pân) "all"; ἐν (en) "in"; and θεός (theós) "God"; "all-in-God") is a belief system which posits that God personally exists, interpenetrates every part of nature and timelessly extends beyond it. Panentheism is differentiated from pantheism, which holds that God is not a distinct being but is synonymous with the universe.

Simply put, in pantheism, God is the whole; however, in panentheism, the whole is in God. This means that the universe in the first formulation is practically the whole itself. In the second formulation, the universe and God are not ontologically equivalent. In panentheism, God is viewed as the eternal animating force behind the universe. Some versions suggest that the universe is nothing more than the manifest part of God. In some forms of panentheism, the cosmos exists within God, who in turn "pervades" or is "in" the cosmos. While pantheism asserts that God and the universe are coextensive, panentheism claims that God is greater than the universe. In addition, some forms indicate that the universe is contained within God. Much Hindu thought is highly characterized by panentheism and pantheism.''...Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism

Please take the time to vote and feel free to post on the topic.
Old 21-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Animus27

I answered neither, but I feel like I have to expand on why I did:

I have nearly always had strong panentheistic overtones in my belief system. It makes sense to me.

But I do not conceive of it as being a god in the normal sense of the term usually. I view it as an entirely impersonal force that imbues and transcends the world, and I don't think that humans can connect with it in any major way besides in the most basic or superficial way. Nor do I think that this energy/force/thingie cares about people in the slightest.

But I also believe that out of this force, all beings arise from, and some have a more stronger/closer connection to this thing, and such beings we usually recognize as gods. Beyond that - I don't really have much of to say, because everything else I think about the subject is long-winded, rather disjointed rantings

Good topic for discussion!
Old 21-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Tysklar

Hello, Animus27.

Welcome.
This maybe too simplistic a responce.
It is my opinion that The Universe is 'full' of Humans.
Wherever there is a planet as beautiful and nurturing as Earth, we will find the same scope of life that we have here (albeit 'varied'..off topic).

My personal belief is that, We as all Life are, The Onmipresent Divine incarnate. Our purpose is to maintain Eternal Love and proser into Infinity...
I voted 'Panentheism' over 'Patheism', predominantly because, I believe we can see through time.

The Divine cares for Us All, fostering and maintaining Life. If you feel uncared for, that you don't care for others or they are not cared for, I suggest that you distinguish between; evil external interference and Gods internal radiant expression of Love & Light.
We are afforded a great deal of liberty by Divinity. Choices we make and actions we take have a butterfly effect, this far exceeds our expectations.
People assume The Divine will physically intercept all evil doing, and Divinity does, given a chance (we as civilisation, have desire to cast Justice onto those that step into the Light and do not reflect it). Emotion is The Divine Language, 'Over/Alter Ego' likes to suppress this and deny it. This gets many, if not all of us in 'trouble'. I can't blame Divinity for the actions of misunderstanding 'Ego Freaks'.
I feel we attribute too much 'perfection' to God... Accidents do happen.
Reality is, perfect imperfection. Unique fragments or a 'Puzzle'.

There is so much Love in The Universe, it hurts.

I could be misreading what you are saying Animus27, I apologise if so.

Please feel free to rant, if you so desire, I am pleased to make your acquaintance.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Master
Not many comments here..!!
But I like Animus27's post...

I have to agree that 'God' is too grand to be understood. No human can fully realize 'God', because humans are still not perfect bodies, we may realize spiritual truths but then fall prey to foolishness, imagining we understand 'God' entirely. And yes, some beings are closer to this reality (such as deities and angels) while others are far removed (demons, murderers, etc.). I believe 'God' is beyond that though, beyond a specific Form..

I did vote panentheism, because I view the physical universe as the body of 'God' (!). Just marvellous...!!

((This thread popped up on the first page for some strange reason ))
Old 03-05-2019, 03:18 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Tysklar quote.
There is so much Love in The Universe, it hurts.

This stuck out to me.
So I vote for this religion, way or label.(Lets call it "Great Mystery")
Old 03-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Master
I think I'm a Hindu :-s
Old 03-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Knower
As a Hindu I subscribe to both. They are not mutually exclusive. In chapter 10 of the Bhagavad Gita Sri Krishna details everything he is. Elsewhere he states that he is Brahman, the ground of all being, the only thing that exists. In that regard he is everything that exists.

"...know that all beautiful, glorious and mighty creations spring from but a spark of My splendor ... But what need is there Arjuna [his friend whom he is counseling] for all this detailed knowledge? With a single fragment of Myself I pervade and support this entire universe.”

Additionally, the Purusha Sukta of the Rig Veda refers to and describes the concepts of pantheism and panentheism.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
As a Hindu I subscribe to both. They are not mutually exclusive. In chapter 10 of the Bhagavad Gita Sri Krishna details everything he is. Elsewhere he states that he is Brahman, the ground of all being, the only thing that exists. In that regard he is everything that exists.

"...know that all beautiful, glorious and mighty creations spring from but a spark of My splendor ... But what need is there Arjuna [his friend whom he is counseling] for all this detailed knowledge? With a single fragment of Myself I pervade and support this entire universe.”

Additionally, the Purusha Sukta of the Rig Veda refers to and describes the concepts of pantheism and panentheism.

I like that. It means different spiritual paths study and experience different aspects of God. Very encompassing approach..
Old 03-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather
I like that. It means different spiritual paths study and experience different aspects of God. Very encompassing approach..

Yes, Hinduism is very very diverse. When things seem to be contradictory it's just because it is so vast. We see and understand things that are meaningful to us; we see only a small portion of all there is. That's what the rishis experienced and passed down.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:57 AM
Knower
Pantheism. Because "both" is not an option, and "neither" simply ain't true. God is All, All is God, pantheism is a smaller word. :)