Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 28-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Toolite

Others that see and hear spiritually but yet im still flesh like the rest. My beliefs come from experience. And I freely share information.
Glory To God
Old 28-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
This is a bit off topic though.... as the thread was about publicly visible mediums-psychics

A Brazilian Shaman, Tibetian yogi, Kogi seer, and bible bred psychic will likely have quite different slants-interpretations on what they bring. IMO
Henri--

I believe the OP says he was looking online for black psychics, not that he was looking to find one online. (Which is a point I thought about making earlier--that white psychics are the ones who first wanted to monetize spirituality! That's not a great distinction, IMO.)

I take your point that some psychics may present their interpretations of things in the culture they are from and with the religious trainings they bring to the table.

But they shouldn't--if they are good at their job. It should be information that talks about spiritual growth and influences on that, not on interpretations of things around someone.

Give me an example of some "cultural training" that would change a reading.

I do see that, in the area of paranormal inquiries, especially where the cultural/religious fears of a person may affect what they think they are experiencing (and the reader may as well). For instance, those with very rigid religious training will see something they fear as "demonic" whereas a Native American have traditional "evil" forms which we aren't familiar with. [I'm out of my element here, but someone else may be able to help. I think there are short, black demonic entities believed in or animal hybrid evil beings.]

But to me, if the psychic/medium is good, they will not make assumptions about what they see but merely record what they see and leave the interpretation to the client.

Lora
Old 28-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Toolite

I sit between the too religious and the too spiritual and I will say they both do their own will and both limit their growth. I dont see a difference between but some do. Its interesting to me.
Glory To God
Old 28-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Toolite

Culture beliefs. A culture maybe more open therefor grow to higher levels. The indian culture was doing all kinds of things in spirit and strong. Somethings can not be accessed with belief. If the circle doesnt believe how do you pass that level?
Old 28-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Toolite

Glory To God
Old 28-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Toolite

Psychoslice what experience makes that true? I understand why that explanation of no gender was created but I want to hear from you about an experience to support that.
Glory To God
Old 28-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolite
I sit between the too religious and the too spiritual and I will say they both do their own will and both limit their growth. I dont see a difference between but some do. Its interesting to me.
Glory To God

Let me guess--you don't feel that "too religious" includes wearing your religion on your sleeve, in your signoff, as a sign of secret handshake for those in the same "club" who read it? (totally unaware that those with the most sincere religious beliefs...don't need to proclaim it with each signoff.)
of course not. And "too spiritual" is??? I thought being religious implied spirituality. Of course not.

It's a topsy-turvy world in your head. No wonder you're concerned about the background of your psychic. Perhaps he will miss these little signs and not see how ...spiritual you are. Hope your psychic will be able to decipher all this with the right filter!

Lora
Old 28-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolite
Psychoslice what experience makes that true? I understand why that explanation of no gender was created but I want to hear from you about an experience to support that.
Glory To God
Well i can only answer that question through my own inner being, from my own inner Awakening, as myself as you also, this experience isn't what IS, its just an experience that is interpreted through the mind, and brought to the surface as best as we can.

In my inner Awakening experience I realized all there IS, that all is ONE, there is no separation, there is no bits of spirit, one for you and one for me, this is seen to be only because of the mind which see,s all in duality, and that is how it is suppose to be.

Spirits, reincarnation, is only there while you believe you are separate, when one is Enlightened, and the truth is revealed, all these beliefs fall away, they are no longer needed.
Old 28-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Toolite

Lora. The spiritual law doesnt change or bend to fit you. You must change or bend to fit it?
Glory To God
Old 28-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Air

IsleWalker is going down the right path here. There's actually a LOT to be said not just about the presence of black people in spiritual communities, but minorities in general, and it's a very complicated, oftentimes not very happy discussion.

I thought and rethought of many answers to this question but writing it down is kind of a challenge, so bare with me. Asking this opens up a lot of avenues of question -- "African-American" in what sense, since not every black person in the US is of direct or even indirect African descent (my grandfather's heritage is largely Haitian, just to start), and many who are are identify in various cultures, who all have various historical and modern attitudes or traditions towards spirituality, etc. (And why Americans specifically?) Asking this presumes a somewhat narrow definition of medium, actually. Look at Vodou traditions of Haiti or the religion of Louisiana Voodoo alone. There's probably more than a few known mediums within those cultures alone.

My religious background is in black Southern Baptism and I wasn't much attached to it because my entry and exit from my local church community happened when I was very young. However, even in my mixed (identifying this on evangelical, not on my aunt, who is black American) evangelical aunt's congregation (she went for this when she became a born again Christian, go figure) there's an element of mediumship that isn't outright called such because of definitions of devilwork, sin, etc. but obviously exists.

"Experiencing the holy ghost" i.e. being trance inhabited by one part of the trinity of God was not and I imagine still is not uncommon in these churches, which has a very mediumistic quality, I'd bet, even in a symbolic sense. Preachers from these churches can also be "known" mediums considering the preaching style that bears a lot of resemblance to automatic communication and trance mediumship.

Talking about visions of spirit and prediction was rarely done in the church proper but happened not very uncommonly in the community at large, or at the very least in the home, which is what happened in my family. Despite many of them being very firmly rooted to the church, the Bible, the Baptist religion etc. I realized I come from a line of prolific female mediums and families of folk that were or are telepathic, clair*, and so on, who often warned or shared the fruits of their talents on a quiet, common sense or "word-of-God" basis. They were also "known" within their families or communities, for better or for worse. I think some cousins of my grandmother were like this openly, but their spiritual focus was largely on death and the afterlife, which earned them negative reputations.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that there aren't any "known" mediums of color, it's just a combination of a lot of factors, some of them probably having to do with being burned on past experiences due to prejudices, racism and privilege. Look, as a quickly referenced parallel, to American Indians. I think there's several on these very boards that have expressed distaste or objections to the kind of culture that tends to spring up around these sort of boards/communities-at-large... maybe not unlike folk who are more into the more grey-to-dark (and even describing it like that comes from a matter of perspective) aspects or culture of spirituality that don't care for light metaphors and archangels.

On another note, maybe the race isn't broadcasted because it's probably not important, or maybe they exist in a separate framework of spirituality than you were searching in. I know a lot of people of color just don't feel comfortable or accepted in broader or mixed spiritual movements, and as a flip that I imagine many people aren't comfortable expressing, there are some whites that may not be 100% comfortable with non-white mediums as well. Not to mention, even many "known" mediums come under suspicion or criticism, and there's a broad consensus that many truly great mediums tend to be relatively unknown or local, regardless of race... wasn't there a thread here from a while ago talking about this?

You'll probably find that a lot of "known" mediums in general are promoted through advantages that aren't so accessible to people of any race, sex, gender, religion, culture, actually, which probably explains a lot of the disparity. There's just a lot of things intersecting here.

Sorry for writing such a long post, I don't write much these days but still read on occasion. Guess I was made to be in this thread. I'm an American and identify as black (though I realize my background is heavily mixed when I go beyond my biological parents) if that means anything.