Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Donna Mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedsoundz
My friend is the same way. "Don't thank me, thank my guides!" But I think that they need you to work just as much as you need them :) Nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back here and there. Real mediums do things for people that years of therapy can't even fix. What people like you and your guides do together is awesome!

Agreed. Those that do it for the right reasons and give people peace of mind are worth their weight in gold.

A good, personal experience
As I've brought up the bad stuff, I thought I'd share one experience with a medium I met at a lunch that blew me away. The others present were acquaintances of hers and me, but none that I really talked to THAT much. Certainly not about what had (then) been happening to me for about six months - that I still couldn't quite get over.

Anyway, she sat next to me and within about five minutes she started blushing and looked at me. Now, my spirit guide is very... ahm... straight forward and cheeky. My immediate thought was "uh oh..." She leant over and said, "We need to talk later. In private."

We did, and she started by saying with a grin, "That conversation you had with your guide on the train about [whatever it was] was more information than I needed to know, really." She went on to saying that the number 5 was very relevant to me as well as to our connection - which is true, considering I was born on the 5th of the 5th, it took 5 months from he died until he appeared to me, 5 years after we had briefly met. She also said the number 28 was relevant. Again, yes. We met in real life on the 28th, he died on the 28th and I became aware of him on the 28th. She said he joked about watching the movie "Ghost" three days before (which I had done), then she sat quiet for a moment, clearly listening to what he said, went pale and then looked at me saying, "You can tell him that I will not do what Whoopie Goldberg did towards the end of the film [lend her body so he could hug her]." (As I said... cheeky). Amongst other things, she quoted stuff he'd said through automatic writing, pretty much summed up everything that had happened in the past six months and pretty much verified every question I had. Things I'd never told anyone.

At that point in my life (and connection), it was what I needed, and I'll be forever grateful.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Distortedsoundz

That one is so cute and funny! Cute that he wanted to hug you. Awww

I became aware of the one I met because she works at the mall with my Aunt, of all places to find someone like that hiding, working at a freaking retail store at a mall in Maryland! No web presence, no nothing, I guess she tries to keep up with a normal life. A relative came barging in and pestered her until she had to pipe up and say something to my Aunt. Thank goodness that all of that happened. Knowing her changed my whole perspective and the way I look at things. I was beginning to question and stop believing in an afterlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mai
Agreed. Those that do it for the right reasons and give people peace of mind are worth their weight in gold.

A good, personal experience
As I've brought up the bad stuff, I thought I'd share one experience with a medium I met at a lunch that blew me away. The others present were acquaintances of hers and me, but none that I really talked to THAT much. Certainly not about what had (then) been happening to me for about six months - that I still couldn't quite get over.

Anyway, she sat next to me and within about five minutes she started blushing and looked at me. Now, my spirit guide is very... ahm... straight forward and cheeky. My immediate thought was "uh oh..." She leant over and said, "We need to talk later. In private."

We did, and she started by saying with a grin, "That conversation you had with your guide on the train about [whatever it was] was more information than I needed to know, really." She went on to saying that the number 5 was very relevant to me as well as to our connection - which is true, considering I was born on the 5th of the 5th, it took 5 months from he died until he appeared to me, 5 years after we had briefly met. She also said the number 28 was relevant. Again, yes. We met in real life on the 28th, he died on the 28th and I became aware of him on the 28th. She said he joked about watching the movie "Ghost" three days before (which I had done), then she sat quiet for a moment, clearly listening to what he said, went pale and then looked at me saying, "You can tell him that I will not do what Whoopie Goldberg did towards the end of the film [lend her body so he could hug her]." (As I said... cheeky). Amongst other things, she quoted stuff he'd said through automatic writing, pretty much summed up everything that had happened in the past six months and pretty much verified every question I had. Things I'd never told anyone.

At that point in my life (and connection), it was what I needed, and I'll be forever grateful.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Master

Since the first post referred to mediums in Spiritualists churches, I would offer a reflection from someone who was charged with running a Spiritual development circle, within a Spiritualist church 30 years ago. I understand that there are many who have developed their mediumship separate from spiritualism, so I cannot include them in this reflection, but for those who run churches, and place mediums on their platforms, they must take responsibility for those decisions, because they promote those mediums by inviting questionable mediums back again.

So far development has not been highlighted, and in my experience the existence and activity of development circles within spiritualist churches, is crucial to the long term development of mediums. I can only presume that there is a lacking of experienced mediums running development circles, which shortcuts the scrutiny of mediums and their development. If the standard of spiritualist mediums is to improve, then the development circles of the past need to return, but that is just my reflection.

Peace be with you
Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Medium_Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedsoundz
My friend is the same way. "Don't thank me, thank my guides!" But I think that they need you to work just as much as you need them :) Nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back here and there. Real mediums do things for people that years of therapy can't even fix. What people like you and your guides do together is awesome!
Thanks :) But I don't see it as I am any different than the thousands of people who can do the same thing. If not for my guides, I could not provide this service. I am proud and happy to help others, that is a given, but I know that my ego has to stay balanced in order to be a proper conduit for spirit :)
Old 07-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Enya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear
*snip* those who run churches, and place mediums on their platforms, must take responsibility for those decisions, because they promote those mediums by inviting questionable mediums back again.

So far development has not been highlighted, and in my experience the existence and activity of development circles within spiritualist churches, is crucial to the long term development of mediums. I can only presume that there is a lacking of experienced mediums running development circles, which shortcuts the scrutiny of mediums and their development. If the standard of spiritualist mediums is to improve, then the development circles of the past need to return, but that is just my reflection.

*So* many times I have argued this point, Papa Bear... mediums are only as good as the teaching and time given. There are far too many lazy teachers and mediums around. Sadly, many mediums think that once they're on the platform, that's job done and they don't need to continue developing. Wrong!

To add to Laura's list - a good medium will be fast off the mark and sometimes almost tripping over the stream of images and impressions they are getting from Spirit. There will be no room for 'ums' and 'aws'.
A good medium will make statements, such as - You did this..., You have a relative who used to..., You wanted to... and so on.
A good medium will, when something cannot be understood, clarify the statement by asking the spirit person for more detail or say that they cannot change the statement but they will ask for more on that for you.
A good medium will give good evidence, not fortune-tell.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Medium_Laura

nice Enya and true! I have to slow spirit down usually so I can get out all the words/symbols flying through my head! :)
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 AM
earthprowler

i have found that when i read some one first (their own energy), it tends to help them relax and make the connection to spirit after easier. i have them make a "telephone call" to who they want to talk to and helps the energy from them come to me faster. the best evidence i feel i have given is when i gave a reading in sign language (which i do not know) and in Spanish (again, do not know). i tend to use my hands a lot when receiving information, sometimes i am not sure what i am doing, i just go with it, and for some reason when spirit talks to me, my right ear and cheek turns red. i have also been told i look like i'm in some sort of trance when receiving info, but then look normal when giving the information to them.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Serenity Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear

Peace be with you

I totally agree with you. The problem Iv found is that some mediums who have never attended a development circle, think that everyone can do without it. Iv also been told that how can you teach something thats a 'Gift'.

I feel we really need to get a standard exam in place, and only those who have passed it can set foot on a platform or do paid readings. The exam should not be controlled by one particular party (such as SNU etc) but be across the board, just like the A'Level or GCSE. How can we expect our mediums to be taken seriously without a set standard. I mean you wouldnt go see a counsellor without knowing they had the qualifications in place, why should it be different with mediums.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Deactivated Account
I've only been to my local spiritualist church twice and I wasn't impressed with either medium. The first was a blatant fake and everything she said was cleverly clawed from her chosen audience members. The second was maybe slightly better in that she was clearly trying rather than 'putting it on' but nothing she said encouraged me to believe she was really contacting spirit.

Fortunately, I have since had private readings with a couple of mediums who convinced me. I have yet to go back to a spiritualist church though.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Master

Public mediumship is as much a part of a mediums development, as any time before, yes there are flaws and judgements which are open to criticism, but if that platform is not a Spiritualist church, but rather a public demonstration, then the motivation of both medium and audience is different. The difference is, that within a service, or meeting, because the platform medium is by definition, still developing, they require the full support of their `congregation`, rather than their judgement.

If this is clarified by church leaders, that the conditions are created by those spectating, not the medium, which means the medium, is totally dependent on the positive, rather than demands of those `supporting` conditions, then the service would reflects similar conditions to that of a development circle, rather than a public demonstration.

Prioritization of motivation is greatly misunderstood in mediumship, to work with Spirit, for the benefit of others, and self-development, often becomes lost in the public demands of a results culture. This places extreme pressure on mediums to `perform`, which has absolutely nothing to do with Spiritual development, or mediumship. Which is why any medium should be comfortable with admitting they are just not getting anything, the conditions, demands, expectations, all beyond their control, can limit their ability to make that link. But because of the public and social demands of a results culture, many feel they have no leeway, no flexibility, to not supply to demand.
This is why I look to those who lead, who should take responsibility, and lead, protecting and encouraging support and patience for developing mediums, even those with reputations and ego, who probably need that support most, if they are to outgrow their bad habits of just doing enough to satisfy demand.

As far as the `gift` is concerned, every Spiritual human being, is a natural medum by nature. They are a Spirit, they have a natural etheric emanation, which is the natural medium of all connections created between a human medium and the Spiritual reflections they recieve. Developing an understanding and use of such a natural aspect of their being, is the challenge, rather than deciding if they are one of the lucky `gifted` ones.

Though it is twenty years since I `lead` as a responsible member of a spiritualist church, I do not need to go to any church right now to know the same needs still apply as they did back then. The memories come flooding in writing this, twenty years in the same little Spiritualist church, from a stuttering starter, to being responsible for the spiritual development and required conditions, of an evolving circle membership over ten years, oh the memories, sorry got side-tracked. I tend to express as I feel, even when writing, enough for now.

Peace be with you