Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 04:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
What I have read about Buddha is that he joined the asthetics who abused their bodies to bring out the spiritual aspect.

Starving himself and disregarding his body, Siddartha came to his revelation of truth.

I would say he sought out truth with all his heart.
In fact, he may have died and returned, to share that experience and knowledge which he attained, from an NDE.

' Starving himself and disregarding his body, Siddartha came to his revelation of truth.'

That is not true Morph.... He did Practise Asceticism for a number of years with Religious Teachers of His time, realizing it was wrong he reversed back to a normal life, left his former beliefs behind and went his own way.
Yes he did look for the 'Truth ' with all his Heart for all Sentient beings.....

Christian authors of late antiquity such as Origen, St. Jerome, St. Ignatius, John Chrysostom, and Augustine interpreted meanings of Biblical texts within a highly asceticized religious environment. Scriptural examples of asceticism could be found in the lives of John the Baptist, Jesus, the twelve apostles and the Apostle Paul. The Dead Sea Scrolls revealed ascetic practices of the ancient Jewish sect of Essenes who took vows of abstinence to prepare for a holy war. An emphasis on an ascetic religious life was evident in both early Christian writings (see the Philokalia) and practices (see hesychasm). Other Christian practitioners of asceticism include individuals such as Simeon Stylites, Saint David of Wales and Francis of Assisi.

It was practised by many in Abrahamic Religions not just by the Buddha....
Old 07-04-2020, 05:28 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
What I have read about Buddha is that he joined the asthetics who abused their bodies to bring out the spiritual aspect.

Starving himself and disregarding his body, Siddartha came to his revelation of truth.

I would say he sought out truth with all his heart.
In fact, he may have died and returned, to share that experience and knowledge which he attained, from an NDE.

Don't know anything about Buddha having an NDE, but who knows what his 'awakening' all entailed. My understanding is that the awakening came after he left the asthetics, so it can't really be ascribed to a hunger or deprivation vision. Anyway, though I don't see Buddhism as the complete path to walk, it's focus on compassion is what I like about it.

In fact, compassion is why I sent that lovely music video to John, just in case he had a broken heart or something. I better have got some good karma points for that.

https://www.lotussculpture.com/blog/...enlightenment/
Old 07-04-2020, 05:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' Starving himself and disregarding his body, Siddartha came to his revelation of truth.'

That is not true Morph.... He did Practise Asceticism for a number of years with Religious Teachers of His time, realizing it was wrong he reversed back to a normal life, left his former beliefs behind and went his own way.
Yes he did look for the 'Truth ' with all his Heart for all Sentient beings.....

Christian authors of late antiquity such as Origen, St. Jerome, St. Ignatius, John Chrysostom, and Augustine interpreted meanings of Biblical texts within a highly asceticized religious environment. Scriptural examples of asceticism could be found in the lives of John the Baptist, Jesus, the twelve apostles and the Apostle Paul. The Dead Sea Scrolls revealed ascetic practices of the ancient Jewish sect of Essenes who took vows of abstinence to prepare for a holy war. An emphasis on an ascetic religious life was evident in both early Christian writings (see the Philokalia) and practices (see hesychasm). Other Christian practitioners of asceticism include individuals such as Simeon Stylites, Saint David of Wales and Francis of Assisi.

It was practised by many in Abrahamic Religions not just by the Buddha....

I am aware.
Afterwards he came to the revelation that,
"If you tighten the string to much, it may break. To loosely, and it will not play."
But during this time he very well might have left this life.

Jesus also went to extremes, fasting 40 days.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 07-04-2020, 06:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I have never found brass in muck.

I never have even heard this saying before.
Can you elaborate on it, please?

'Where there's muck there's brass' is a 20th century expression which originated in Yorkshire, England where brass is still used as a slang term for money. The expression is rarely used nowadays, although writers sometimes call on it when they want to establish a character as a blunt Yorkshireman. By 'muck' any form of dirt or manure may be implied, depending on context. Dirty but necessary and important jobs that need to be done.

I'm channelling a blunt Youkshire man for some reason
Old 07-04-2020, 08:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
You are all going to get in trouble if the moderator sees you as you are all hopelessly off topic and apparently stuck in the mud. Now pull yourselves and those brass knuckles out of that mud and get back to brawling about what it means to love your neighbor as yourself and slinging manure at each other.

If I lend Moses a Donkey or send a little Auld Sod to help fill a grave is that not ' Loving my Neighbour ?
BTW I won't be charging interest....
Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 AM
ketzer

Quote:
If I lend Moses a Donkey or send a little Auld Sod to help fill a grave is that not ' Loving my Neighbour ?
BTW I won't be charging interest....
NO, IT IS NOT!
That Moses is a dead beat and you will never get your donkey back. And the only manure you will get is his claim that he knows is way to the promised land..... hint, after 30 plus years you might think he is perhaps a bit lost! All you are doing is encouraging him to become a thief and charlatan! Is that a loving thing to do for your neighbor? Someone needs to have some tough love and teach him a lesson or he will just go on breaking entire tablets of commandments. It may hurt you more than it does him, but you have to do it for his sake.
I suppose sending some local dirt for a foreign grave is a nice gesture. Although I would have to know what they died of to give it a ranking. Where were you when they were alive missy? Did they starve to death? As I recall, Jesus talked about feeding the hungry, but never mentioned throwing some hallowed dirt on their graves. We will need some more information to make a call on this one.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:41 PM
Master
It appears, it is anonymous except for me, that the Mosaic Law, which the nations' Bankruptcy Laws are based upon, was a terrible thing. It seems that most believe people we would be better off without Bankruptcy Laws.

If a person ran into hard times, lets say, sickness, and lost everything, under the Mosaic Law, in 7 or less years they would get it back. A truly progressive concept which has never been adopted by any country in the World. Rejecting this law would leave the person with the harsh reality that there is very little hope, if any hope.

I thought the majority on here would agree it was a novel concept. Instead, everybody but myself, seems to think such progressive thinking is not for them. Why people are against this law so much is very disturbing.

But then, look at the opposition there is toward what Jesus considered the most important 2nd commandment. Who would ever think people would think loving your neighbor as yourself would end up being a battlefield.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 08-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Who would ever think people would think loving your neighbor as yourself would end up being a battlefield.

As Pat Benatar says, love is a battlefield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EysM1iNMk
Old 08-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
NO, IT IS NOT!
That Moses is a dead beat and you will never get your donkey back. And the only manure you will get is his claim that he knows is way to the promised land..... hint, after 30 plus years you might think he is perhaps a bit lost! All you are doing is encouraging him to become a thief and charlatan! Is that a loving thing to do for your neighbor? Someone needs to have some tough love and teach him a lesson or he will just go on breaking entire tablets of commandments. It may hurt you more than it does him, but you have to do it for his sake.
I suppose sending some local dirt for a foreign grave is a nice gesture. Although I would have to know what they died of to give it a ranking. Where were you when they were alive missy? Did they starve to death? As I recall, Jesus talked about feeding the hungry, but never mentioned throwing some hallowed dirt on their graves. We will need some more information to make a call on this one.

YES IT IS,

I lend a Donkey interest free, I supply a bit of Auld Sod to a homesick Irish immigrant who's Last Will and Testament requested, that's Loving Your Neighbour .
Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM
ketzer

Quote:
YES IT IS,

I lend a Donkey interest free, I supply a bit of Auld Sod to a homesick Irish immigrant who's Last Will and Testament requested, that's Loving Your Neighbour .

Uh Huh, and here you are on the internet telling everyone about your good deeds. I believe the bible also says something about that.
Quote:
1“Be careful not to perform your righteous acts before men to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
You could give Louis Armstrong a run for his money.
Anyway, I heard that donkey was suborn and half lame. Serves that dead beat Moses right though. As for throwing dirt at the dead, too little too late.
Closed Thread